New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunting Outfitter Search
 Login/Join

<338Lapua>
posted
I plan on going on an Elk hunt in '03. I have contacted several outfitters and have gotten amazing responses. Here is one from US Outfitters:

"Jim

In order to make your price, with quality and success, we would need to draw a tag either in arizona, new mexico, or utah. Private land is more expensive than what you have stated. The problem is that there is no quarantee you would draw a tag for 2003. So if you absolutely have to go in 2003, I can't help you. The other problem is that no one else can either with my kind of quality and success rate.

I would advise you to stay away from Colorado and Montana traps.

Good luck.

George
USO"

I find his last statement mighty ARROGANT. Amazing what some outfitters think of themselves. I am probably going to go with Ann's (Orion Trophy Expeditions) outfit, but just wanted some other input.

Let me know of any good or bad experiences anybody has had, or if any other outfitters have a package in the $4,000 price range, I would love to hear from you. But again, I am probably going to book with Ann (who btw, is one of the most helpful people I have ever talked with), but want to keep my options open.

Jim

[ 07-29-2002, 23:55: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I do not know this to be a fact,however...
While in NM this last year I heard that USO was cited for using aircraft to spot game and direct hunters to game.
Anyone else hear this or else know of the outcome.

As far as elk outfitters you have the right idea
using a booking agent.While I do not know Ann I
know using a good agent greatly increases your
success at no cost to you.

For states I like Wyoming for a wilderness hunt
with rifle during the bugle season.No finer sound
than to fall asleep the night before elk season
with hobbled horses feeding next to camp and bulls
bugling on the hill sides.
Good luck on your hunt
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding your post about elk outfitters. Give Dave Melton of Bighorn Outfitters in Salmon ID. a call. I was put in touch with Dave through Jack Atcheson and hunted with him last year. Dave hunts the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness which is over 2.5 million acres. It is tough, rugged country where you won't see another hunter. The guides, food, stock, and equipment were first rate. You are not guarenteed a 350 class bull like some ranch hunts but I saw 18 bulls in 7 days of hunting and half of them were 6x6 or better. Their website is www.huntidaho.com. If you want a true wilderness hunting experience I would reccomend checking them out.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Go to my web site.Check out all the out fitters,I have listed.You can search by state.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I booked my first elk & mule deer hunt for this November with Ann's outfit. I trust her. She is honest and not out to screw anyone over. If she doesn't have answers about something, she won't "bullshit" -- she'll SAY she doesn't know and that she'll find out... and then she DOES find out! She is a good person and works hard to find a hunter the kind of hunt he wants within the price range he can afford.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Russ,

Did you book the trip to Montana? If so, that is the same one I am looking at. Let me know how it goes.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
338 Lapua,

I hunted last year w/ Delores River Outfitters ( www.djoutfitting.com )

The food, camp, guides and equipment were all first rate. Most of our hunt was on private land in the 4 corners region of Colorado.
Cost would be in the sub- $4000 range.
The hunt we were on was a 'truck' hunt. We camped out in the brush and were taken to stands/glassing points early in the am by the guides that stayed w/ us for the rest of the day.
These fellows busted their buns to find us game.

I saw 12 different bulls in the 6 days I hunted. Biggest would have come close to 400. ( he was also at 800 yards range and walking away from us!)
This area is also well known for it's Trophy Mulies.

Elk tags are over the counter and the Mule Deer tags are draw only.

You can contact the owner, D J Winters, at 970-882-3099. Let him know one of his St. Louis hunters gave you his info

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote