THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I Drew A Kentucky Elk Tag - Advice Needed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Drew A Kentucky Elk Tag - Advice Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't believe it, but I drew a bull elk tag for Kentucky. I live in Kentucky, but honestly don't know too much about the elk herd. I have to apply for 3 units, and they will assign me to one.

Does anyone have any advice on what units to apply for?

This may sound silly, but could I hire a guide? This is such a great opportunity I really don't want to waste the tag. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRL - What are the hunt dates??? Have you hunted elk before, and are the elk on public or private land? Just curious!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted elk a long time ago in Montana. it was a self-guided hunt. I had little success. There is public and private lands in Kentucky to hunt. Again, I'm not exactly sure how this will work yet. I drew the first week of the elk season October 2 thru 8.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends back east drew a Pennsylvania elk tag 5-6 years back. This guy had been out Idaho 1/2 dozen times and got a couple nice ones over the years. Ed and his dad Fred spend several weekends out in the area the elk were located doing their homework and Ed ended up getting a super nice 7X7. It was as nice as any Elk Fred had shot over the years too and this guy had been heading out west every fall for over 30 years. My buddy said there would be a record coming outta Pa. sooner or later.

Plan on spending some time watching them bulls prior to season.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure the DNR has a elk biologist they should be able to supply you with maps, latest sighting, herd numbers ect.

It all should be public records. They might even have some radio tracking maps. I know in Wis they do.

You can then over lay the elk area maps over plat book maps ect and find public or private land that they use.

I find that most state biologists are very helpful when approached in the right way.

The more home work you but in the better chances you'll have.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
congratulations, I have been trying for years to draw one. I would first talk to the F & G officer in an area you would like to hunt. Many of the farmers have crop damage and will give you access to private land. As the success rate is about 90%, I'm positive if you do some homework you will get a nice elk.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Yes, the Fish and Wildlife website has tons of information. That will really be helpful. I'll start the homework now. As soon as they assign me to a unit, that will help even more. I did find a list of outfitters for Kentucky Elk hunts as well. Didn't even know that there was such a thing as a guide for Elk in Kentucky. Again, as I mentioned, I'm not going to try my best to use this tag wisely. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't have any trouble, from what I understand just picking the one you want to take is the hard part. I have a friend who does some outfitting if you are interested.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You just won the lottery....sell it!!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey TRL, Congratulations for sure!!!

The "Record" for a HUGE Trophy Elk is broken nearly every year in KY now. And the Hunt is normally done with 2-3 buddies along to help Spot and then Tote.

Tim Farmer of the KY Dept of Fish & Wildlife Resources hosts a TV show called Kentucky Afield. It generally has a show or two that focuses on the Elk Hunts and they show some really impressive WHOPPER Elk.

The recommendations given above to check the F&W site for info is the best thing you can be doing. After you get a handle on the things that need to be done, then schedule a couple of Scouting Trips to areas you believe have the best chance for you. The KY F&W folks go out of their way to help you make this a Hunt of a Lifetime.

Congratulations again.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! YOur a lucky man. For some stupid reason i was feeling like this would be my year for a KY elk tag...as always..i didnt draw. Be sure to post pics of your bull!! Again, congrats.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I think that you should recruit Hotsh#t to be your guide. He is the suppository of all elk hunting knowledge. Just review his posts on the subject. He would be my go-to guy no doubt. Wait a second................He's never shot one!!!!!!!!

He's a self-confessed LOOKER OF ELK!!!! Oh my!!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I know several people (me included) that did not get drawed!! My 3rd unlucky year.

I helped a friends father-in-law from western KY get a nice 290-300 class 6x6. What units did you apply for?? If you apply and get 5, I can get you info for a coal company with lots of big elk--I deer hunt the area. Know there is a 340+ elk.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Listen to Skip...he lives right in the elk and knows what he is talking about. In the right unit, you can kill a 360-400 depending on how picky you are and how long you get to hunt, etc.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I did talk to the state biologist. He was really helpful. He recommended and individual and I talked to him last night. We'll see what happens. I have to draw a unit. That's the first step. That happens in early July. I will apply for units 2, 3, and 1 I think. I'm really not going to be too picky. I'd like to shoot a nice elk, but just getting one no matter the size would be nice. I've got a couple of buddies that want to go scouting with me and one has offered to film the hunt for me. I don't want to take too many, but I think I will take at least one or two guys with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim!

I live in and know area 5 best. Knott and Perry counties have some of the oldest released elk. I think a lot of that land is leased and requires a guide. Expect $500-$1500 for a guide. Know a guy in area 5 with about 1600 acres-he charged $500 for kill--no kill no pay. that was last year-I can find out for this year if you want. Know several areas that are huntable.
I think 2 other guys with the hunter is the limit-Law. Double-check to be sure. There were game wardens everywhere last year. Have all paper work and permissions slips on you.
Good luck--you should get a 300+ bull if you just hard hard and be patient!!

Skip Nantz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Skip. The guide the biologist told me about charges $1000. I think that is pretty fair. He seems like a straight shooter. We'll see. I would be thrilled with a bull over 300 points.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Hunting and Shoot'm Down!

Skip Nantz

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
TRL - Don't shoot one under 300 if you have any time at all. I know tons of guys who have shot smallish bulls on day 1-2. Hold out, especially with a guide, and you should kill a really nice elk.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim:

Thanks. I've got the whole week to hunt. I'm taking vacation. I can't wait. I'm getting a lot of help, and I greatly appreciate it. Next step, getting the right units and getting my rifle out!!!

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your unit draw...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
TRL ----- My son drew a Bull tag for last years hunt. He is very experienced with Elk hunting, having hunted with me yearly in Colorado since he was 18, he is 40 now. He went to Bell county and scouted, then applied for the three areas, then drew Bell county, his first choice. He went back and scouted another weekend two weeks before the hunt and located several likely Bulls. He then hunted on his appointed time and was lucky enough to take a 349 Bull the first morning of the hunt, accompanied by a hunting buddy who helped spot. He was well satisfied with the whole operation, from gitty up to go. I might add that he is an electrical lineman that got invaluable advice from a local lineman. Good luck and good hunting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
phurley5 Thanks for the help. Do you know anything about gmu 2 or 1?

one of us
posted Hide Post
TRL ----- I don't know anything at all about the units. I will ask my son and get back to you. I am out of town at the NRA convention at present, when I get back home I will get his input. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
TRL ----- My son said that the units were numbered 1 through 6, and 6 is divided into 6 units. He hunted 6-E, which was in Bell County, just outside Pineville. He also said any of the 6 units are good. I hope this helps. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think I'm going to apply for 2,3, and 1. In that order.