New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Do you eat what you shoot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yes and no. I was raised with the ethics that you eat what you kill. I also like most game but no one will convince me that venison can beat out a good Delmonico on the grill. Basically we can go through a deer a year. Beyond that I make arrangements for any other deer I take to go to use. That includes a couple of single mom's that work for my wife that are thrilled to get a freezer full of venison. I always pay the processing fee. I also try and donate at least one deer a year through Sportsman Against Hunger. I consider this a great organization. Food goes to people in need and hunters get great PR.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
The elk is used for roasts/ steaks/ and burger. The deer go to steaks, sausage, and jerky. The antelope are turned entirely into jerky. I don't kill alot of varmints, but they are for the hawks/ eagles/ owls. I would love to find someone who wants the big game hides for tying flies, etc. I have heard taxidermists always need hides, but finding someone to take them is usually more hassle than its worth.

The kiddos think nothing is better than elk steak, and that way of thinking is great!

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Have you ever heard the saying "If you kill it, You'd better grill it!" or some variation?

I guess I've always went by that. I usually keep what My family can handle and give the rest to extended family and friends.

I try to go out of my way to give the "pests" away (hogs and coons). There are alot of people down here in Louisiana that will eat darn near anything! Don't include me in that group, I think the strangest I've eaten has been baby coon although, I was told it was rabbit before I started (Can't say it was too bad, it was quite tasty).

I think the land/crop/livestock destroyers should be killed and not eaten. We have wild dogs, Coyotes, coons, and opossums that can wreak havoc sometimes.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am not much on the taste of deer wich is mostly what I hunt. I usually have my deer made into some sort of summer sausage or give it to someone that needs the meat. I can't stand to let something that I view as edible go to waste. Varmits on the other hand are just moving targets.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except gophers and cats. They're too hard to clean/locate sometimes from a 50g V-max at 3800 fps.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Except gophers and cats. They're too hard to clean/locate sometimes from a 50g V-max at 3800 fps.

Yup. I only hunt moose, but would kill a black bear if I had to. In Alaska, it's illegal not to salvage black bear meat, so I would have to take that home. However bear sausage tastes pretty good, and I have some good old recipes I could try. Meat from Grizzly/brown is legal to leave behind, because they taste terrible. But to get a grizzly hide tanned (plus cleaning the skull) would set you back a little over $1,000. One has to think about it carefully before shooting a grizzly, not only because they can bite back, but because of the cost.

Now, moose meat is delicious as long as you keep it clean, cool, and dry right after killing one. My hunting partner and I take from two to three hours to have all the moose meat hanging and cooling, and we always pass gut shots. That's the worst thing one can do to the meat.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote