THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Deer Hunting-Shooting within 125 miles Washington D.C.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Hunting-Shooting within 125 miles Washington D.C.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Perhaps someone in our A-R neighborhood can school me on what's available in this region. My son will be stationed there for the next three years and I'm looking for long weekend deer hunting opportunities in Maryland, Virginia, or south-central Pennsylvania (Fulton, Bedford, or Franklin Counties). Or perhaps some trap/skeet/5-stand shooting within 60 miles of D.C. Any info will be appreciated. PM me too.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
West by God Virginia!!! Millions on acres of first rate hunting.Sleepy Creek comes to mind as well as the Monogahela National Forest. http://www.wvwildlife.com/ (wait a few secoonds for it to redirect you) search in here for info on WV Hunting.
As for the shooting ranges in Maryland Pintail Point comes to mind but a few searchs should put you on to several.Hope this helps.

[ 10-26-2003, 15:25: Message edited by: rws2 ]

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
Here is a link gives all 50 states - i use it a lot

http://www.huntinfo.org/websites.html

good hunting

whtailtaker

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loudon County, about 25 miles west of DC in VA, has the distinction of harvesting the most deer in VA! It is mixed rural/suburban and almost all private land. Fauquier county to the south is similar and almost as productive.

Access is tough but can be arranged with the right contacts and hunting clubs lease some land too.

There ar some big deer taken in VA, including my 16 pointer.

Good luck,
1B

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MATT,

Please let me know if you hear of anything as I just moved to DC this last week and I to am looking for weekend spots to hunt. Prince Georges county I know has a nice skeet and trap facility and is right outdside of DC, I have shot here before.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
dwhunter, I've sent you a PM

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to live in the DC area.

DC has grown and the suburbs are very, very far out. One can't hunt on the Menenite farms in Manassas anymore, because they're mostly housing developments.

We deer hunted in the George Washington National Forest near Columbia Furnace. Some lovely country there ... tall and cold and pretty in the winter.

We drove the back roads in the Front Royal area and gained permission to hunt on about 1200 acres of farm land by talking to the owners or overseers. There is/was a great deal of land owned by the fox hunting set (read rich!). We spent a couple of three weekends in the fall helping out with fences and such to gain longer term friends. Fine dove and quail hunting. Again very pretty.

Make sure you get to know Clarke Brothers on 219 west of Warrenton. Still there, still an interesting place to find hunting rifles.

Good luck with area.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
I live just north of DC and hunt a number of areas in Montgomery and Frederick Counties... I'll be out of town until Friday the 31st but will be available to show folks around to some spots ands make introductions to a few farmers beginning Saturday the 1st of Nov.

Reply here by post or via E-Mail if interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Camp AP Hill is open to the public, but I saw huge numbers of deer there on some off-post exercises there in the early '80s. It is surrounded by hunting clubs, so they must know something. You could drive down the road, stick out your arm, and there behind it would be standing deer or turkeys. It was just a NG training post in those days, but we would drive up or jump in from Ft. Bragg quite a bit, and I got to know the area pretty good. Looked like fine hunting to me, but I heard rumors that it was basically a preserve for Congressmen. Might be worth checking into, though.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quantico Marine Base in Northern VA is a pretty hot lick. $15 bucks gets you access to 42,000 acres of prime deer habitat.
Go to the link below.

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/g5/nrea/fwa/hunting.htm

I hunt there and the surrounding private land, good bucks for sure. Saw a nice 12pt last week come out of 16b, and a bigger 8pt on the same day.

PS. it's about 35 miles from DC, to boot!

[ 10-28-2003, 20:47: Message edited by: Mark G ]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote