THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: The best scope for the mountains?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The best scope for the mountains?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Burris Black Diamond or Signature.

Nikon Monarch.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a Leupold or Burris in 3x9. Both are American companies and offer life time warranties to the original buyer. The others are European and getting a replacement or repair could take some time.

I once returned a scope to Burris for some repair work and they sent a new scope free of charge instead of the repaired one. I had it back in less that 10 days time. Can't complain about a company like that.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you look at the probable TOTAL cost of the package, $500 is small potatoes. Not having the slightest idea what kinda money he's laying out, that is a guess on my part.
Actually, Western, we're saying the same thing. I think.
He could get a Wally World package deal, scope and all, and still be carrying better than he's apt to see the mongols lugging around.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The others are European and getting a replacement or repair could take some time.

Not true.The ziess conquest is manufactured in America just like leupold and parts and service are available locally within a very short time frame.The ziess conquest 3x9x40 also costs about the same as a leupold vx111 3.5x10x40.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Uh, not to be too rude, but I think if you are gonna spend, I assume, big bucks to go hunting in Mongolia, to nickel dime around on the price of your scope is false economy.

You call $500.00-$600.00 on a scope messing around with nickel and diming? OKAAAY! Personally I think that any money over the cost of a VX-3 or an Elite 4200 is like flushing it down the toilet. The leaps and bounds in real world improvment just arent there beyond that.

Either of those two would be my suggestion.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Now that I have narrowed my choices down between two rifles, I'd like to hear your input on scopes. I've been looking at Kahles, Ziess, Leupold, and Burris. I'd like to keep it around $500-600 or less. Other than that I'm open to all suggestions. The rifle will probably become my go-to rifle, so I'd like a scope that will last. Your past experiences on what has worked well and what has failed would be greatly appreciated. What would you trust on your sheep/goat hunt in the mountains? Thank you for your input.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, Do yourself a favor as spend the extra money to buy a 13oz Swarovski 3-10 AV. It's a tough, optically excellent scope. Save money somewhere else.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh, not to be too rude, but I think if you are gonna spend, I assume, big bucks to go hunting in Mongolia, to nickel dime around on the price of your scope is false economy.
If you don't want to spring for a Leupold, then a Weaver is next in line in my opinion.
Why don't you do this: buy a vari-x III, use it on your trip and when you get back, take it off and sell it for 75-80% of your purchase price. Then you can go buy the Montgomery Wards house brand.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the swarovski 3x10x42 myself on all of my hunting rifles but if my budget was smaller ,I would go with the 3x9x40 ziess conquest.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Both the VX-3's and 4200's are much lighter in weight than the Swarovski's

Swarovski av 3x10x42- 12.7oz

leupold vx111 3.5x10x40- 13oz

bushnell 4200 2.5x10x40- 16oz

The swarovski is actually lighter than the vx111 or the 4200.If you want to compare scopes in the 3x9 range look below.

Swarovski av 3x9x36- 11.6oz

leupold vx111 2.5x8x36- 11.5oz

Bushnell does not make a 4200 in this power range but the swarovski and leupold are within .1oz in weight.

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
My son and I have tried just about everything out there at one time or another but have both settled on Burris compact 2X7 and we'll probably stick with them. They get the job done, service is excellent and the price is right. For us anyway, hard to go wrong with that.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have VX-III's, Vari-X III's,Elite 4000's, Elite 4200's, and a bunch of Swarovski's. If you think that the Leupold's and Bausch and Lombs are good enough to hunt with you are right. If you think that Leupolds and Bausch and Lombs are as good optically as the Swarovski's you are dead wrong. VX-III's and 4200's are good scopes but the Swaro's are great scopes.
I would rather hunt with a less expensive rifle like a Savage (which still shoots great) than a less expensive scope. For the Hunt of a lifetime I would want the best glass possible.........DJ

-An 2.5-10 Elite 4200 is actually heavier than a 30mm tube Swarovski 2.5-10x42 and much heavier than the 3-10x40 AV, check the specs before you make incorrect claims.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote