Find
Notify
Tools

Big Sky
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I hope the hunting is good in that area. Any comments from those who know? Elk, deer, goats, bear? What's available?

My brother just took a job out there (he's an electrician) and this gives me very good reason to head that way next fall.

Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Good elk hunting, deer hunting is ok, not nearly as many as say eastern MT. A few areas near by with antelope. Plenty of bears and PLEASE kill one or 3.. LOL

The hard part will be drawing tags. Bear is the only one OTC for Non-res. All others are on lottery. A deer tag will liekly take you 4-5 years to draw, and an elk would be about every other year. You can also put in for a deer/elk combo which is about an every other year deal as well. All other species are special draw, moose, goat, sheep, lope... The first three are nearly impossible to draw as a NR. Antelope can be had pretty easy depending on unit. All in all Montana is a sportsmans paradise...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Hope he enjoys the drive up 191!! Nasty these days.

You can also hunt mountain grouse (blue and roughed) in the area OTC. The Gallatin Canyon is crawling with hunters but there are still lots of elk to be had if you get way off of the trails.

I've asked my father in law to start putting in for deer/elk years ago. Never did. He came out from Michigan this year and watched me bow hunt for deer. NOW he's going to be putting in every year until he draws. Get started NOW to build up your points/increase chances of a draw. Let us know when you plan on driving out.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do and thanks, guys. I am actually hoping to get my brother into hunting and fishing. I grew up in a non-hunting family but somehow, me the only girl, became a hunter.

I've seen some nice deer in Montana, took a nice speed goat on Fort Peck last year and still need an elk. Moose probably won't happen but I want to try anyway!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann- I am going with the assumption that you mean he is actually gonna be a electrician in Big Sky the town and not just the state.

That said, as others noted the drive down 191 can be an interesting affair. I do hope he wears his crash helmet...

Seriously the drive is gonna take time, it isn't a good one for those who have a perpencity to run late and gotta hustle. It just isn't a good idea to try and run the canyon hard.

It is a wonderful drive however and one of my fav's out there. I also love what I call the loop where you go on to West Yellowstone, and then to Ennis (IMO Shedhorn Sports there is the best gun/outdoor shop in the state!) and then back up the Beartrap to 4-corners and to Bozo. The trip is about 200 miles and I take it about 4 or 5 times a year just to get out and gather my thoughts.

There is plenty of hunting opportunities make no doubt about it. The elk is very good, bear is very good ( I tend to hunt bruins awfully hard and look at between 40-50 a year), birds is a bit spotty and much better places in the state can be found. Lopes you would need to travel a bit to find lopes and the really good hunting is a fair bit out. For deer there is a lot of the whitey version around close but a bit tough to access and the places you can access also has a ton load of other hunters in it. There is a shotgun/mzl loader zone close to town where I've seen some very big whitey's but to date that isn't my style. A lady I go to church with has a sizeable place in this zone and one of these dayz I may have to just start hunting it.

There is a excellent place to draw for muley's and if one can draw one has a super chance at killing a stud of a buck! The state also has about 4 other areas like this. IMO 2 of these areas are some of the best in the world for true trophy class burro vernado. If one puts in the time and stays off the trigger one could seriously hunt for a 190-200 class buck.

For goats/moose/borrego I can help you out with where to apply and where not to. Your odds are not good with this anyway you go but I can still point in directions that I think may be more beneficial to you.

Lastly the fish'n here is excellent and what a lovely way to spend a day. I just love hitting the streams and smaller rivers and casting dry's from July to mid Oct. The best fishing comes IMO from Labor Day till elk opener. The colors are super and the crowds have long gone home.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that besides doing work booking hunts I also work in the world of Real Estate. And so if your brother needs help in finding a place please give him my name and numbers. And if he likes I could call him instead if you send me his info.

Many thanks and Make it your best day!

Mark D

mdobrenski@msn.com
406/599/2175-mobile

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for the additional info! I will definitly pick your brain for areas to apply for. BTW- I have not done the West Yellow entry yet but look forward to it.

I will PM my bro's phone number later, I don't have it with me here but I bet he would love to hear from someone who can help him out with a place to live or even show him around a bit!

He's doing a motel gig right now and that has got to be really boring. Plus he has no friends or family out there as he just arrived.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann- get me his number and I will get in touch with him.

Is he staying in Boze or down at Big Sky?

My wife runs the Fairfield Inn here if he needs any help with motel wise.

Thanks

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote