THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Proof Targets Included With Every Rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proof Targets Included With Every Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you guys think a rifle should include a 100 yard proof target from the factory? At least this way you would have some idea of what you were getting and it would force the industry as a whole to tighten up on quality control.

Not trying to start a pissing match here, just get some opinions.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how do you no on a proof target that it came from your rifle and not some supermatch, locked in a vice, tack driver?

Just a question.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
JC,

I agree that every rifle should come with a test target. I don't think it will help the factories create a better product, but it's something that would show you potentially what you're buying.

I think it would be cost prohibitive for the major companies to shoot every rifle, but hey, it's a great idea.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg,

That's a very good question with a very simple answer. Each manufacturer would voluntarily make their production facilities open to SAAMI for inspection at any time. I don't know if SAAMI would be the particular organization for this, but it would be one possibility.

I just took a tour of the ADS pipe plant in London, Ohio a few weeks ago and they are certified by PPI (plastic pipe institute). An inspector can show up at any time and inspect the plant to make sure they meet minimum standards to keep their certification. If not, their certification is jerked. This allows them to place a seal of approval sticker on every piece of pipe they produce. What does this do? It lets you know who could potentially making inferrior pipe and it proves to the customers of ADS that they are getting a quality product.

You see a lot of ISO9000, ISO9001, etc. around these days at manufacturing facilities. There are a certain set criteria that the facilities and personnel must maintain to keep this certification. If you don't, you could lose business. Companies like GM, Ford, Chrysler could mandate that if you are a manufacturing facility for them that you must meet this certification or lose their business.

If the firearms industry had some sort of certification for quality it would benefit both them and us as consumers. For one, it would eliminate the ones that are making inferrior grade firearms and more than likely increase the sales for the manufacturers that are making quality goods. What do we get...a darn good firearm. I would be willing to pay $5 to $10 more for a rifle that had been certified, wouldn't you?

[ 09-12-2002, 20:13: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC,

I think CZ fire all there rifles and provide you with a test target. I have the test targets oin my wall, all of my cz's shoot well. For the money I think cz/Brno would embarrass some of the larger comanies such as winchester & remington.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
All things considered, you'd probably be better off not knowing what those overpriced rifles shot on paper before you bought them. The big companies don't give a damn about the quality of their products anymore, it's just beancounters that run the show. Even if they supplied the customer with the proof targets, they still probably wouldn't make anything right anyway. They lack the knowledge in the first place. Anyone who had half an ounce of intelligence quit working for them boys a long time ago.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 100 yard pissing match,sorry guys,my barrels
not neeeeear long enough to compete in this one!

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I got a proof target with my HK 91 [Big Grin]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mannlichers used to do this which proved they were not as accurate as Tikkas on the whole.....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Maybe a verified and witnessed proof target shot at 200 yds! Not some idiot shooting a 300 win mag at 25 yds, and producing a 3 shot group in 1 hole, then claiming to be 100 yds! [Frown]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd like to see all factory rifles meet reasonable accuracy standards, and I'd like to see a legitimate target included to verify that the standard was met. What that agreed-upon standard should be industry-wide I can't say, but I don't think the concept is unreasonable at all.

Realistically, the factories for the most part really DON'T care about over-all quality any more, and most manufacurers don't have a foggy clue as to what sort of accuracy a given rifle that they send out the door is capable of.

Quite honestly, accuracy is (and will be from here on out, and more than ever before) in the hands of the consumer to control. You can either get lucky and purchase an out-of-the-box miracle rifle, or else you can tune up an iffy one and refine it to get it the way you like it. That's the reality that most of us face.

I've found that the best way to solve all of the ills of factory rifles is to buy a "doner" rifle for the action (used is fine), then have it rebuilt into a real performer by a good riflesmith. In the long run, this is the least expensive way to go, and the results are a lot more gratifying. Factory standards be damned, simply because that concept's unlikely to come to fruition.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
JC,

I think CZ fire all there rifles and provide you with a test target. I have the test targets oin my wall, all of my cz's shoot well. For the money I think cz/Brno would embarrass some of the larger comanies such as winchester & remington.

I agree. I also got test targets with my FeinWerkBau M65 air pistol (one virtually round hole), my H-S Precision pistol, my 40X-B, and my Clark .45.

Many people who make good products are doing this already.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ, Cooper, Merkel ... these provide test targets lately. Weatherby used to. Do they still? Certainly would be nice if all would.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote