Find
Notify
Tools

TX Hunt Results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Here's a photo of the oryx bull I shot last weekend in TX.

I also killed a very nice, heavy-beamed 9-pt. buck. Unfortunately, I won't have a photo of the buck until I get the antlers sent to me, likely this week or next.

I hit the buck too high just before dark on Sun., and he ran off into the thick cedars. We tracked him for a couple hours that night, then came back the next morning again. We eventually lost any blood trail and gave up since I had to leave for home and the ranch manager had to go to his other job.

He went back to the area the next day and found the buck dead. He was lying about 20 feet from a water hole. So he recovered the antlers, and will be shipping them to me. Now I'll have to get a cape somewhere.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking bull, Tony. Congrats

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember from other posts that you said you would be hunting in the hill country. Any chance at details of your hunt?
Did you enoy your stay, the people, the food. What ranch did you hunt on. Where is it located, you know, the ususal.

GWB
PS: Mighty fine looking bull there guy.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Oryx Tony. I'll be hunting up by Cherokee, TX next month for whitetail and hogs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, nice bull. Sounds like a good hunt, sorry about your buck.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good job!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm on my way back there tomorrow to hunt another buck and pick up the other one. I hope there's not too much ground shrinkage when I get my hands on the already dead one.

Geedubya,

See the post I made in the bobcat thread. It includes maps of the ranch location.

The ranch is not a full-blown commercial hunting operation. It's mostly for family and friends. The ranch manager served as my "guide." Accommodations are quite suitable and the food was fine since I brought a lot of it such as my wife's lasagna and a nice roast beef already cooked. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Tony, I heard a short time ago that the Scimitar's status with CITES had changed and could no longer be harvested? You know the details on this?

one of us
posted Hide Post

That decision is sort of under reconsideration right now, and even if the law regarding them takes effect as written, it wasn't supposed to happen until Jan. if I recall. But from what I understand, they still could be harvested with a road of red tape involved. There's another thread somewhere on AR discussing it.

Anyway, that's one reason I decided to get it done now. Wink Plus, the price was right since the guy wanted it off his ranch.