New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolves in Oregon also!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last season elk hunting near the coast line of Oregon outside of Powers by about 30 Miles ( Powers is where Darryl Holland has his shop, a little town buried in the Middle of NOWHERE)......

Hunters that morning had caught a herd of Elk in a Cross fire and had shot 7 of them in a clear cut.... One was shot on a road leading to the clear cut, I gather it had slipped into the brush and was trying to head down the mountain side, and it was also shot....

I was there in the afternoon, just kind of looking over the carnage... the gut piles were covered with tons of crows picking thru them....

I walked down the road, where the other elk had been shot, and heard the crows there really making a ruckus... I came around a bend and about at 250 yds, a wolf was chowing down on the gut pile eating the liver and heart... the crows were on the tree branches and kept on flying down and trying to peck the wolf on his head and back while he was eating the gut pile.....

I put a shot in the air and he jumped., looked at me and then dove into the brush......

I also posted on the forum about hunting on the east border of Crater Lake National Park, with an early season draw tag for antelope......

I was driving down a road, and about 30 yds in front of my truck, a large "dog" looking thing, ran out in front of my truck.... It had come out of a dried up swamp bed... moving at a dead run, like something had kicked it up.....

After it crossed in front of me and ran across a field, I got a pretty good look at it, and I had posted on the forum, that I thought it was a cross between a domestic Dog, probably a German Shepard and a Coyote.....

years ago when I was in College in New England, Coy Dogs were cross breeding with coyotes and supposedly wolves coming down out of Quebec... So I knew that sort of stuff could happen.....

So I didn't think much of it.... until several weeks ago.....

I was making a trip to Salt Lake City, and Cheyenne Wyoming.... From southern Oregon, I cut across Oregon Rt 140, which goes for eternity in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Oregon... However it cuts off about 200 miles from any other road going to Salt Lake, by coming out in Winnemucca Nevada.....

People from Oregon a familiar with a little "town" ( 3 buildings and a gas pump) called ADEL... east of Lakeview.... It is a good place for outdoors types to stop, as they always have had tons of Unbelieveable Mounted Deer heads from the 1920s to current... also some nice elk racks etc... We hunters stop, get a soda or beer and spend some time drouling over the deerheads and antler racks on them...

However, something I had never seen before, was stuffed "animal" just like the one I saw at Crater Lake..... solid black front half.... I asked the lady behind the counter about it, and she told me she had shot that 3 yrs ago, Moose Hunting in the Yukon....

I must have had a blank look on my face, because she asked me did I know what it was.....I told her that I had seen one just like that two summers before at Crater Lake...

Her response was " YOU have to be kidding me! That is a Wolf!"......Well that is what I saw!

I have seen wolves in my years in Minnesota, both in the wild and also at the wolf exposition in Ely, MN.... I had just never seen one, solid black on the front half like that... that is what made me think it was a cross between a shepard and a coyote.....

Well Fish and Wildlife, publish that they think there is only several wolves in the state of Oregon.... that of course has to be "Portland Bullshit" as usual.... Because I can't have seen two of the only 3 or 4! Each about 250 miles apart or so as the crow flies.......

With my hunting luck, I am NOT that lucky, believe me!........

But if they are this far west! The one out of Powers was within 75 miles of the Pacific Ocean!

Leads me to believe we have more of them over this way, than they are making out also! But Fish and Wildlife will never admit it... They don't even want to acknowledge that the cougar has contributed to the deer herds decline of 75 to 80 % in the last 10 yrs in SW Oregon.... they blame it on everything, but the obvious!

They don't want to upset all of those Portland Liberals! ( sorry for the lengthy posting too!)

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT the least bit surprised.

Many years ago I was out calling 'Yotes just a little SW of Crater Lake with my Dad. (west of Ft. Klamath) We had taken some great fur in the area and went back for more. While sitting there an animal came to the edge of the cut and just stared. I thought it was a big coyote at first and raised the rifle. When I got it in the scope it dawned on me how big it was and how strange it looked. I wispered to my Dad to have a look and a few seconds later it turned back into the trees. We waited quite a while expecting it to re-appear but it never did. Later we walked down to where it had been and there in the snow were the biggest dog tracks I'd seen!
That was 15 years ago at least. I also saw tracks like that in the Strawberries while elk hunting. Yet Ore. officials didn't want to acknowledge thier existance because then they'd have had to establish a plan. Now they're spreading like disease and DF&G just now came up with some crap of a plan. To little to late.

My Dad is active with OHA and was also with RMEF and has tried ( along with these organizations) to influence the '08ers. They definately are not aware of the rest of the state! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire. I'm not sure when they were introduced, but I did an elk hunt in Washington State in the Humptulips area. While sitting on a stand in a spot, I heard my first ever wolf howl. Now this was around 1983 0r 1983, I forget which. I'm willing to bet that as trhe packs in Washington grew, some migrated to Oregon.
I have no real idea why the ecofreaks want wolves, but my thought is as the wolves prey on our big mae, it will rerach a point where the big game populations will get to the point where we can no longer hunt them, and hunting could be made an illegal sport, thus allowing the antigun people to now say no hunting, therefore no need for guns.
While that may sound far fetched right now, it's not an impossibility.
My take would be to make the wolf a legitimate big game animal and keep the numbers in check.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Several years ago my Dad and his friends were hunting up around Timothy lake and his friend was walking through some blow downs and he got that feeling something was watching him he looked around and saw what he thought was a Coyote he pulled his rifle up and it was a damn wolf so he shot it. This was also about the same time when all those idiots in portland were buying those hybrid wolfs thought they would make good pets they found out real fast they weren't very good pets. From what I heard they were loading them up and heading to the Mt. Hood national forest and dropping them off. Another thing the State won't admit that there is brown bears in the state either I know people that have wandered around in the Jefferson wilderness area and up around Mt Jefferson "folks from Oregon that familiar with this area know it is some very rugged land" and they swear they have seen some of the biggest bears ever. My dad was talking to a State biologist once and he asked him about it he wouldn't fess up to anything.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Don't be too surprised if the State division of wildlife folks don't "fess up" to much. I had a lengthy conversation with a wildlife biologist who behind closed doors admitted to me that yes there are grizzlies in Colorado, but if they admit that then they have to come up with protection dollars and a plan to manage them, none of which is in their budgets, they would be forced to do this by the Feds under the endangered species act. Much easier if they continue to look the other way until the populations are too large to hide.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote