Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail book recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I know nothing about hunting whitetail deer and would like to get educated a bit first. My intended hunt area is in Montana. Of the many books/videos available is there one in particular that would apply to Montana whitetail hunting?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
"White-tailed Deer" written by Halls. It's a textbook and expensive, but well worth it.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter,

Not specifically about Montana though MT is covered, Hunting Trophy Whitetails & Advanced Strategies for Trophy Whitetails both by David Morris are some of the best Whitetail deer books I have ever read. I think the info covered is broad enough that these texts would aid one no matter where you hunt these deer....

I hunted Whitetails around Forsyth MT area in 2002 and had a great time. I can't wait to get back out West and chase deer again.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nothing about hunting whitetail deer and would like to get educated a bit first. My intended hunt area is in Montana. Of the many books/videos available is there one in particular that would apply to Montana whitetail hunting?

About anything by Leonard Lee Rue and his son is worth your while. "The World of the Whitetail Deer" is a good one.
www.whitetails.com has good info.
Montana Game and Fish has good info on their website.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you will no doubt learn very early, Whitetail behaviors and habits change with the type of terrain they live in. You mention Montana, which consists of mostly flatland with drainages in the east, and moving west you have plateaus and mountain habitat. Whichever book you get, make sure it covers the specific habitat you will be hunting. Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find the Wooters book, it's the best! capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation of the David Morris (Hunting Trophy Whitetail) and John Wooters (Hunting Trophy Deer) books. The Wooters book changed my whole approach to deer hunting. The Morris books is a good survey of where to hunt trophy deer, how to recognize them (age and size class), and strategies to employ.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Shots at White Tails" By Larry Koller would be were I would start. It might be out of print. Since it was first published in 1948 or there abouts.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote