Find
Notify
Tools

Laser for zeroing barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
can anyone report on his experience with these new laser devices for zeroing and checking the zero on the barrel.From what I understand you can quickly check your zero anytime by using these devices.There are several makes and maybe not all of equal accuracy.Of interest is what the deviation at lets say 100y would be with the scope rezeroed.I saw some looking like a regular cartridge,about 250$
thanks

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
<inGobwetrust>
posted
Sheephunter,

I bought the one that Cabela's sells for $59 and am very pleased with it. I have used it on my .308 and my 45-70 and it worked great. With the .308 I used it at about 50 yards with a 5x scope and then needed only 3 shots to sight in at 100 yards. My 45-70 has peep sights so I adjusted the sights so that the laser dot appeared to sit right on the front sight. It shot to point of aim at 100 yards right off the bat. I don't see the need to get a more expensive unit when this one does exactly what it's supposed to.

Patrick

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Never used one but my guess is that their primary use is for simply boresighting, I wouldnt expect much more than that from an accuracy standpoint from them.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
They work great for boresighting. The gunsmith that I use has a set. I saw them at Wal-Mart in the $40-$50 range. I don't know why a less expensive wouldn't work as good. A laser is a light beam and light beams are always straight unless reflected. Atleast I think. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These devices are merely a different way to boresight.They can't guarantee zero as we all know that different loads shoot to different points of impact.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed,its a fancy boresighter--but I can see that id the laser is precisely coaxial to the barrel that one could use it to check the scope after travel.All one would look for is a predetermined deviation in elevation,windage should be zero.The difference in costs theoretically could be a function of the laser placement precision within the chamber.
Meaning,if the laser is not precisely coaxial,centered above check would not work.

Thanks for sharing experience for this

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mess with one unless you are in a commercial setting where you set up rifles for clients on a regular basis. I can usually visually boresight my rifles using my eyeball, a good shooting rest or vice and a distant object.
Using this method I can almost always get you in the black on a 100 yard target by the third shot... Eyeball boresight, 1st shot at 25 yards to confirm the thing will be on the paper. A second shot but now at 100 yards. Adjust scope settings, 3d shot should now be in the black...
It would take me longer to set up the laser system than to eyeball it. Will the laser be more accurate? Probably...who cares? It just gets you on the paper...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Try this, it works great and best of all, it's free!

Deprime an empty case, remove the bolt, and place the case in the chamber. The flash hole acts as a peep sight aperature and I'd wager it's as accurate as one of those laser contraptions.

Good luck!

PS. I'm trying to think of a wise crack about our cross-eyed friends and berdan primed cases. [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter-You can't precisely predict windage or elevation with a boresighter of any kind including a laser.They will get you on the paper but cannot be used as a final sight in.Different loads will not only vary vertically but horizontally as well.Loads with higher velocity could also strike lower not higher as most inexperienced shooters would expect.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes fellows,I wouldn't consider buying a boresighting device for the purpose of setting up the rifle/scope at the range.
What I am trying to discuss here,apparently unsuccessfully [Smile] ,is checking your zero for instance after travel or a knock of the rifle etc.
The rifle hopefully is still on target,but you worry.Instead of shooting 3-5 shots in no wind at the hunting camp,usually frowned upon,check your zero again .
Way I see this is to establish the deviation of laser to scope -zero when the rifle is zeroed in at the range.
2: Use the laser again-"in the field" to see whether you get same variation as established previuously.Assuming than that everything is OK.
this would requiere a very fine coaxial laser that shoots its spot reproducubly,just like a bullet."Cheap" boresighting devices would probably not do,laser spot too big or no coaxial presentation.This is only theory.Proof is in doing [Smile] Thanks
sheephunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waldog has the best advice. It never ceases to amaze me at how much money we hunters are willing to spend to have a $300 solution to a $.50 problem. Boresighting gizmos are the worst money pits of the bunch. Not too long ago a friend brought his new browning 25-06 to my range. It had a fancy new scope on it which he'd had boresighted with one of those $500 boresighting gizmos at the shop he bought it from. The first five shots failed to hit the backboard holding the target at 100 yds (the backboard was a 4 ft x 4 ft piece of plywood). After watching him cuss for a few minutes I asked him if I could try something. I removed the bolt and boresighted it across the sandbags. The next shot hit about 2" left of the X. Boresighting rigs, of which this laser thing is one, are a complete waste of money. All they will tell you is whether or not you're in the correct hemisphere.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter,

I have one of the inexpensive Cabelas lasers. It fits into the muzzle and has 2 contact points with the bore. It appears to me that it would be rather difficult to get the lazer in precisely the same place each time it is used; however, it is close. I have used mine to recheck zero before shooting or after transporting. It has been used in a .22 Rimfire, .224-6mm, .257, .270, 7mm-08, .308 ('06, .30 Gibbs, .300 WSM), and .416 (Rigby and Taylor.) I haven't had a scope shift since I've been using it so I haven't experienced any noticeable changes. I am planning to see if I can use it to as a check when I adjust windage and/or elevation for different bullet weights if a given caliber. I tend to use mine at the range before it is light enough for my chronograph to work properly. I bore sight when setting up a new rig about half the time. The laser saves me only a minute or 3 and it's easier than bore sighting--especially in low light conditions. I always put it in a small possibles box I keep in camp when hunting. I wish I'd messed with it a bit when I had my .470 NE double rifle just to see what kind of sight picture it gave me from each barrel. Anyway, I probably wouldn't spend a lot of $ on one but they are a fun and useful toy!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I agree with KentuckyNimrod- I would look down my bore at a 50 or 100yd target and then realign the scope's crosshairs to the same spot.
Then do a two shot zero by putting the crosshairs on the bullet hole from the 1st shot, and very carefully, without bumping the rifle, adjust the crosshairs back to the bullseye.
In two rounds- you should be within 1-2" of center.

[ 08-25-2002, 00:46: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences.I agree with most in as much as I would not spend 5$ for a "device" to boresight the rifle initially when it can be done the convential way.This despite the fact that I am interested in gizmos- but they have to prove to me that they are truly of benefit.Waldog's note to further accurize the boresighting thru a narrowed hole is certainly a nice improvement,thanks for sharing.
As outlined,I would restrict usefullness of laser tools to checking my zero "in the field".For that it needs to be very precice,exactly coaxial to the barrel and reproducible.I dont see how this can be accomplished with a device that is loose in the chamber or can be used with multiple calibers,the laserbeam would not be in the center of the barrel or a reproducible offset from it.At least thats my concern.
Maybe I should have titled my inquiery as "confirming zero with a laser" rather than suggesting to use it for initial boresighting.

sheephunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter,
IMO, the only proper way to reconfirm your zero would be to shoot the gun. There is nothing wrong with doing so in hunting camp (provided you have a safe backstop) and I would be VERY suspect of any camp that discouraged such practices. Mind you I'm not talking about incessant blasting...a shot or two to make sure you are on the money and to foul the bore in case you cleaned the gun before transport. Think about it this way...if the laser check was off would you adjust your scope to your laser zero or shoot the gun? Kind of makes my point doesn't it? Most guided hunts I've been on here and abroad the guide usually insists we confirm zero...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed K Nimrod,
---BUT-- still interested whether the gizmos actually work for this purpose,and if so how accurate.
NOW assume we have wind in the camp or otherwise adverse conditions when zero check is difficult to questionable by shooting.
If,that is if one can confirm zero with accuracy it would be re assuring

sheephunter