Find
Notify
Tools

Which 338 Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I'm booked for a Bull Elk hunt in Colo. Taking my 338-06 which of the two would you chose the 185 TSX/MRX at 3000 or the 210 TSX at 2800.Both shoot under a inch at 100.I don't consider SD a issue as they both retain near 100% of their weight. I shot my 7mm Mag last year with 175 Partitions and will take it as a back up,just want to try something new.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
My personal feeling is the 210 grn bullet is the perfect 338-06 bullet. Either would work, but I would favor the 210 over the 185.

Best of luck on your hunt, whichever bullet you choose.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would take the 210 for a little extra penetration.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would go with the 185. I think you will get plenty of penatration as the bullet will weight( should any way) 185gr all the way though the elk.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got a .338-06 and use the 210gr bullet for elk here in Colorado. You've got enough weight and the proper bullet for any decent shot you may get.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 210gr TSX bullet myself in my 338-06. Worked great on the bull I shot last fall.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
210 would be my choice.

I shoot a 210gr NP in my 338 for elk.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot 185 gr, shoot a 30 cal.

A 338 cal "starts" at 200gr and gets better from there.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Terry says, and SD IS a factor, regardless of weight retention. A 210 will out-penetrate a 185 gr of the same caliber any day. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Terry and Jorge said

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Terry, Jorge, and JWP,
I have a 185 gr barnes sitting here that I dug out of a sand/dirt back stop it weighs 185.The reason I say SD doesn't really factor is, if that were a 210 Nosler Partition the retrieved bullet would weigh less.Just wondering what some have experiences have been with both of these bullets on Elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob nice seeing you at the range this morring Big Grin
Your 338-06 is way cool!!!!!!!!! I may have to get me one.
Man its a small world some times.

Good luck on your elk hunt thumb
Spencer

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rob: What you say is true. What I MEANT to say was "all things being equal" that is, a 210 TSX will out penetrate a 185 TSX. I can't really say about the Partition as that rear core tends to hold together and punch on through, but certainly with conventional bullets like a "tin foil" Sierra. One of the touted benefits of the Super Premium bullets is they afford you the option of going to a lighter bullet when compared to a conventional lead core/copper bullet. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'll probably shoot the 210 but I'll reserve final judgement until the 185 MRX goes downrange.
Predator good to meet you.Hope to see you again.

Rob

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I realy like the lighter x in the smaller cases 160 works great 185 would be fine same with the 210. barnes function on velocity so I like the 185 for your purpose. but they will both work just fine

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the 185 gr TSX from my last bull taken at 270 yards from my 338-06. Through the shoulders and an instantaeuos kill. It weighs 122 grs.

I'd go with the 210 gr which I have used exclusivley in the past and never recovered though in Partition persuasion.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, my 338/06 has accounted for 10 of the large African antelope and two elk all with the old Barnes 200gr bullet. More than enough penetration @2820 fps. I bet the 185 TS will work on elk. I'll have to chose between these two bullets as the 200gr Barnes is no longer made. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just cause I'm different---------Northfork 225gr.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have to agree with Pegleg. I just this afternoon shot two bullets in the same hole and the third within .40 of the first two with my .338 Lapua with 225 grain North Forks at 3233 fps. If I was as good as the rifle and bullets they would have all been touching. They have to be the most accurate tough bullet I shoot, and I have shot them all. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote