THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    OK So you do or don't like the THS but would you take a strait foward no angle shot?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK So you do or don't like the THS but would you take a strait foward no angle shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
OK how about a no angle "YOU ARE BUSTED" strait looking at you shot.

Would the same guy that says NO to the Texas Heart Shot say yes to the frontal shot?

I have done this shot and will/would again.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have done this shot and would do it again. But I have also done the THS.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why does one think a strait foward shot is even close to a THS one has a loss less stuff to go through to reach the vitals.

I have shot a fair number of critters looking dead on to me most were DRT.

Have a couple feet of guts to shoot through is a whole lot differant then inchs of chest mussle to reach the vitals.

The two shots are not even in the same league.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use and have for years used the "straight on" shot to test bullets. It's a/b the only way to keep a premium bullet in a whitetail's body. Generally drops them on the spot also. I shot 2 this last year "straight on" w a 264 WM at a/b the same distance. Both bullets were recovered in the middle part of the stomach. If done from the opposite direction, I'm not sure I would have had sufficient penetration to reach the vitals and might have lost the animals. I will take a THS, but only at shorter ranges at deer, and hogs, of course.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I stated in the other thread. I wouldn't unless it was a trophy animal. Besides, if I'm shooting a rifle at a doe or spike I'll be taking a head shot anyways. Hunting with handguns I'll wait for the broadside shot. There are just to many deer around not to pick your shots.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I aim at the base of the neck where it meets the chest, generally wipes out the heart. Its very effective.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Smiler Yes, it works!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've used this shot many times on Deer, Elk and Antelope and will use it again.
I've never had a bad result with it yet. If the shot is a bit low you get the heart a bit high you get spine or neck.
Whats next steep angled raking shots?
I use them too!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Yes I take this shot! one third of the way up and boom. It works with a dropped, flopped, and walloped!!!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's realy hot and slow here in SEMO Snell. I just made something up waiting on frost.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only had Bad Luck with a direct into the Chest shot "1" time.

The Buck had just completed a romantic trist and had eased to the edge of a woods across a field from me. His fore legs were on top of where the Plow throws the last furrow which put his rear legs slighly down. And he was facing directly at me "Fleming" the air. Great shot opportunity after watching him for 20min without a chance of a clean shot.

The Bullet went in above the Heart and apparently directly between both Lungs. They were apparently on an Exhale Cycle when the Bullet got to them and caused Zero Lung damage.

There was also a Doe(with a HUGE smile) that began running across the field in my general direction at the shot. The Buck followed, in a squatted trot, which was slower than the normal after-a-shot Warp mode. bewildered Made no sense at all and caused me to hesitate.

The field had been picked and disked, so it was w-i-d-e open between me and both Deer - except for some trees on my side of the field and the uprights on the roof of the stand. Found it difficult to believe the HUGE Trophy was moving at all, but here he came. Decided quickly it would be a good idea to put another(?, now it had me wondering) Bullet into him.

First upright stopped the rifle. Had to reposition and Whistled - he kept troting. Next a tree was in the way, so I had to wait for him to get from behind it, then another Whistle - no change in the gate.

Finally yelled "HEY!!!" and still no change in his movement. Placed a Carolina Heart Shot(low through both shoulders) into him and after the recoil, I could not see him. Bad set of HEAVY understory woods where I was. If he made it out of the field into the woods, I'd probably need a dog.

Came down and found him dead, laying in tire tracks along my edge of the field that I'd made going to load up some other Deer earlier in the week. Amazingly, ZERO Blood came out of his nose! bewildered The first shot should have hit a Lung and/or Heart and since he covered about 180-200yds, he should have been blowing Blood.

During cleaning, I found the First Bullet laying atop the Gut Sack at the very rear of the Buck, perfectly mushroomed. The second shot had performed perfectly, took out the steering gear(front legs), Exited, and down he went.

So, the moral of the story is if you hit them "exactly" above the Heart, "exactly" below the windpipe, and "exactly" between the Lungs apparently on an exhale cycle, chances are you will need a second shot. Had the First Bullet been an inch or so out, in any other spot, that First shot would "probably" have left him laying out in that field.

Nothing beats a Carolina Heart Shot. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, many times on various differnt animals. Only time it was a problem was once when hunting pronghorns. I had been chasing a buck through some hilly sage for a mile or so. When a shot prsented itself, I was a bit winded and the crosshairs a bit wobbly. The bullet just grazed the hair on his ribs and blasted a hind leg. Then I finished him, but obviously lost a lot of meat. Otherwise, it's a great shot. I NEVER use the THS on an unwounded animal-- especially one I intend to eat!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
I like a frontal shot much better than one directly from the rear (which I would not attempt). With that being said if the animal is not nervous and will continue to mill around I will always wait for Hot Core's "Carolina" heart-shot low through the shoulders. I wouldn't recommend the frontal shot with highly frangible, low-caliber bullets though.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
While not attempting a Texas Heart Shot, I have taken a few head on shots with good results each time.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to start hunting somewhere else. Everywhere I hunt you have to take the shot you get (if any) and be happy about it.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A frontal shot is a narrow target on a whitetail, but kills well. I have never shot an unwounded animal in the arse. If I had ever come home from hunting with a THS deer my dad would have taken the hide off my ass. It just wasnt done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full frontal shot isn't any difference than a ass shot. You end up with stinking green shit all over the inside of the deer.
One possible difference is a deer facing you is probably gonna move and present you with a better shot if you'll wait a moment. It doesn't take a lot of angle to be able to shoot the deer in the chest and have the bullet come out behind the shoulder.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
A full frontal shot isn't any difference than a ass shot. You end up with stinking green shit all over the inside of the deer.

This is the FIRST person to get it RIGHT!!!

This is why I asked the question above if you won't take the THS why would you take a full frontal? Both make a mess!!!!

I take the shot that is presented to me and make no apologies.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

This is why I asked the question above if you won't take the THS why would you take a full frontal? Both make a mess!!!!

Well, there's no rule that says you have to gut it. Big Grin You can just cape it if it's a trophy and debone the meat right there. In fact, that's just what I'd do with a bullet shot animal frontal or rear entry. Wink

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will shoot from any angle, because I use enough gun.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:

Oh please!
This is the magnum attitude that promotes terrible marksmanship cuz what the hell I can hit them anywhere and they just fall down dead cuz I shoot a 7mm Magnum!
Roll Eyes

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:

Oh please!
This is the magnum attitude that promotes terrible marksmanship cuz what the hell I can hit them anywhere and they just fall down dead cuz I shoot a 7mm Magnum!
Roll Eyes

But IT'S TRUE!! I SHOT A BUCK IN THE TAIL HAIR WITH MINE! HE FELL RIGHT THERE FROM DISPLACED AIR.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't say, just hit them anywhere...I said from any angle.... There is always a path to the heart, lungs, or spine. One a deer, with a decent bullet, and a .270 Win, 30-06 or your favorite 7mm Mag, you can hit the vitals or spine from any angle. Having enough gun doesn't make you a better shot, just gives you more options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it three times with a .375 and 300gr TSXs two years ago. Antlerless deer. Two bullets retained in the ass, perfectly expanded. Would do again.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
I did it three times with a .375 and 300gr TSXs two years ago. Antlerless deer. Two bullets retained in the ass, perfectly expanded. Would do again.

Bravo! I agree with you. The right bullet is key. I've done a frontal with great results and wouldn't hesitate to do it again with the .375

Posts: 24 | Location: Beaumont, Texas | Registered: 14 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've done a frontal with great results and wouldn't hesitate to do it again with the .375

Are we talking about Deer and Elk here or Grizzly Bears and Hippo's?
I'm sure its fun to hunt Deer with the .375 but I'm pretty confident that a lot "lesser" calibers/cartridges will pull off a frontal shot!
My ex-wife's first Deer was a Texas 8 pointer facing us at 125 yards, she put it in its chest and the deer bolted and ran 25 yards maybe. The bullet was recovered under the hide on the back ham.
She used a .243 with 100 grain Sierra bullets, the recovered bullet weighed 85 grains.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have on a couple of occasions with great success, but I was pretty close on both occasions, but I can see where there could be risks of just grazing an animal, so, I'd be cautious about taking it and make sure I was confident I could make the shot (of course that would be true of any shot).

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used that shot a bunch.

Even on lion and cape buff.
Works great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, have done it enough times to know it works. From 22-250's to 375 H&H's.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has always worked for me on several deer, especially when you hit that white spot up there in the neck. No stinkin' guts either.

Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
I've done a frontal with great results and wouldn't hesitate to do it again with the .375

Are we talking about Deer and Elk here or Grizzly Bears and Hippo's?
I'm sure its fun to hunt Deer with the .375 but I'm pretty confident that a lot "lesser" calibers/cartridges will pull off a frontal shot!
My ex-wife's first Deer was a Texas 8 pointer facing us at 125 yards, she put it in its chest and the deer bolted and ran 25 yards maybe. The bullet was recovered under the hide on the back ham.
She used a .243 with 100 grain Sierra bullets, the recovered bullet weighed 85 grains.

My last experience was a cape buffalo. Caught the heart at full capacity and it fell where it got hit. Found the bullet up by its ass. Weighed it and it was a couple grains off of what it was loaded at and it went all the way through its rumen etc. Heckuva bullet those TSX.

Posts: 24 | Location: Beaumont, Texas | Registered: 14 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
About the only time I would take a shot like this is if I'm using non-lead bullets and hunting some tamed exotic animal in a high-fence situation with a posse along to help. Roll Eyes

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep. i've killed elk with a head on shot with my longbow and woodies, muzzleloader, and rifle. none were farther than 15-20 yards though.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
About the only time I would take a shot like this is if I'm using non-lead bullets and hunting some tamed exotic animal in a high-fence situation with a posse along to help.

yuckanimal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Why does one think a strait foward shot is even close to a THS one has a loss less stuff to go through to reach the vitals.

I have shot a fair number of critters looking dead on to me most were DRT.

Have a couple feet of guts to shoot through is a whole lot differant then inchs of chest mussle to reach the vitals.

The two shots are not even in the same league.

I agree with the this response 100% from beginning to end. A THS and a frontal shot are apples to oranges.

Posts: 127 | Location: Marana/Tucson, Az | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has always worked for me on several deer, especially when you hit that white spot up there in the neck. No stinkin' guts either
Good idea Merg. I took my first deer that way and many others since.

I call it the FNS - frontal neck shot.

Only one problem...they drop so fast sometimes you don't see it.

My first was at 100 yds. Heavily snowing. Only the head and neck were showing over thick stuff. The '06 recoiled back during which I cranked in the next one, and when the gun dropped all I saw was a deer jumping out from where I shot at it and running. So I fired again, hastily, but missed once more.

I was pretty down on myself for missing both shots and went out there looking for tracks or blood in the snow and for no particular reason looked at where I first saw the deer. And of course you can guess what turned up there...

FNS - it gets 'um. But I only use it when it's needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most folks are just looking for any reasonable shot.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/4981032931

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Ted, I do disagree with you here, the THS takes the gut contents and spreads them about the chest cavity, whereas the frontal shot does the opposite. In the case of the latter the bullet impacts the vitals with the greatest energy it will have on it's path through the animal, whereas in the latter the bullet hits the vitals with the least energy, compared to the gut and liver.

Most more sensible deer calibres will be retained by the rumen and not punch through into the hams, with conventional softs, out of my 06 anyway.

Sure a little gut contents leak out into the abdomen, but usually no worse than from a fairly oblique shot where a fragment clips the liver or rumen, this can be wiped out in the usual way.

The THS demands premium bullets, heavy calibres for the species and an acceptance of pressure injected gut contents all over the carcass.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote