New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Rem. and Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read some posts here about people taking elk with a 260 Rem. I am curious what kind of performance/penetration the 260 gives on an animal this size. What weight bullets are being used? I have had very good luck with the 260 on deer and hogs with consistent bang/flop perfomance using 120 gr. bullets for deer and 140 gr. bullets for hogs. Just curious.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one elk with my .260. It did a good one shot kill. A little over a 100yd shot and went all the way through. I shoot a 140 in it for deer and the one time on elk. I prefer my 7mag for elk but the .260 is pretty much the same as a .270,(I will rile up a few O'Conner cultists!) and a few truck loads of elk have been shot with .270's.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 260 for elk, with conditions. I would use the heavier Barnes or other "premium" type bullets, I would limit my range to 200 yds, and avoid difficult shot angles. I've had friends that successfully used the .243 on elk - with conditions. My 16 yr old daughter has killed 4 elk so far with her 7-08 using a pretty mild load firing 140 gr bullets.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote