New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ready
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...........for hunting season to be here.

and I apologize in advance, but no big bucks, sheep, goats or other critters with braggin' rights...............

and I guess I'm getting old as this is more what I think about........

skinning game is a communal affair

I hunt with 8 other guys. A couple of the guys have been running buds for almost 30 years. This will be my 15th season to hunt with the core members of the group. When I go up by myself I don't cook much. But when a bunch of us are in camp every day is a "holiday" and we take all our meals together.

A couple of the guys would rather cook than hunt, and they do.

One guys son is a deck hand on a fishing boat. He will bring tuna or swordfish.

His bud went to some culinary school and has worked as a chef. He does some fine fixins.

I have quite a bit of sausage made. Smoked links will be black bear, Aoudad, Elk, deer or pork.

That always goes good.

Usually have some jalepeno cheese summer sausage made from some critter.

Thick pork chops, rib-eyes and T-bones are the rule.

Mornings are usually left over meat mixed with eggs, chili's cheese wrapped in a tortilla. I'll usually bring up a big pot of my Texas Barking spider beans.

They go good mornin’ or nite.

One of the guys is dynomite with a dutch oven and we will have cobler in the eavening and biscuits with prickly-pear jelly in the AM.

Hunt in the mornin. Come back in and eat a good breakfast. Have a couple brewskis about noon. Go take a nap til 2 pm or so. Get up, go out and watch for critters till dark thirty. Load up a hoglet if I thump one, come back in, have a beverage and get ready for dinner. Have a good cigar and another beverage after dinner, while listening to some tunes and sitting by the fire. Then hit the hay. Get up in the AM and do it again.

Now ya'll might not call that huntin' but IMHO, Life is good in deer camp.

Almost makes ya' not want to come back to the "mean ol' here and now"

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
What a feast! Hunting or not, looks like a ton of fun. Gotta say the last picture with a bag of doritos looks pretty good to me!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do ya have any time to hunt, LOL?!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine hunting camp/restaurant/party.
Bear season starts here in CO tomorrow but we all live so close to where we hunt that we don't organize anything like that.
Enjoy!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of growing up on our cattle ranch. We used to have quite a gang on opening weekend and some great barbeques. Deer hunting was a social event as much as a sport. There were pictures of me at some of these events when I was 1 or 2 years old. Got to see some of my friend's kids grow up deer hunting too. It doesn't get much better.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
That's livin' life the way God intended it, GW!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may need the recipe for those Barkin' Spider beans..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so - this is heaven

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn right Geedub......ain't deer camp the greatest?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I understand the situation, I Do Not see a problem!!!

Looks like a good time to me.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Looks perfectly suitable to me. Big Grin

I will surely miss the little Texas lease I had a spot on the last few years...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's huntin' Texas style! Don't get much better than that, does it?

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
thats beer good life

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great place to be. Good food, good hunting, and best of all, good company. You're a rich man in the things that count. Congrats.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW you live like a King!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing...Looks like a great time and ono-licious eats my friend tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Do ya have any time to hunt, LOL?!!!

Do quite a bit between say noon and 2 PM while laying flat on my back in my camper, checking my eyelids for cracks. Amazing how many trophies are taken between zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's.

A month ago we were covered up in mourning dove and white-wings. I went back up last Friday as I've got a couple active duty army guys coming up before they are deployed again. Wanted to get everything squared away.

Fifteen minutes after I got there it came a frog-choker. Rained off and on all weekend. No birds.

The Creator's handiwork was quite in evidence though.......

I had 750+ pix of hogs on each of two game cams during the last month.

Sat out a couple hours Saturday evening at my close/easy stand, but no luck. Not too disappointed as I really wasn't in the mood to skin hogs.

Figured I'd get up early Sunday morning and hunt. Once more, it came a downpour that lasted for a couple hours. After that it was hot and muggy. Don't seem to see many hoglets when its hot and nasty.

But back again next week. Maybe my luck will change.

If not, I always have a camera for backup. LOL

and as a plus. Don't have to skin digital images.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of RogueHunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time GW. Looking forward to hunting with you soon.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wife and daughter have turned into cold blooded killers!!!!! Seems all I do is skin dead things these days.......

Me and my pard going this weekend maybe I'll get to shoot at something!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck there JC.

I can turn you onto some good skinners.....
knives that is.

Good luck. I'm heading back also. Hope to be putting a couple guys on some hogs, varmints and doves.

JAFO,

GWB

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nice post.

What is the dutch oven lined with? Curious since cleaning after making cobbler is a chore, and that looks to solve it.

Thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote