New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stocks - Which?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Remington Mountain rifle with wood stock and a detachable magazine. I don't really care for the detachable magazine (both the theory and the fact that is rattles) and was thinking of going to a synthetic stock with a blind magazine...similar to an ADL. I'd like to get a high quality stock and keep it fairly light since this will be my sheep rifle for a hunt next year. I've seen McMillian stocks but not many others. What else is out there and how do they compare to McMillian? Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Get a McMillan..

I have a Rem 700 bedded with devcon titanium into a McMillan A2. And a recently purchased Rem 700 VS in the factory equipped H&S Precision. The H&S is used on a lot of custom rigs, but I feel the McMillan is a superior product by far. Try to get your hands on an example of each before buying anything less than a McMillan. You will not regret spending a little more for the quality. MM

[This message has been edited by MontanaMarine (edited 02-19-2002).]

<Big Stick>
posted
JAB,

I've had several DBM's,they served me well. They are not in the closet anymore,so I can't weigh in,with certainty on the following assumption.

There has been enough conflicting opinion,in the regards of converting the DBM receivers,to both ADL and BDL configuration that I'd tread lightly. The contention is the feed rails of the DBM's are largely missing,to facilitate the acceptance of the detachable magazine.

When trying to adapt to either ADL or BDL,the difference in feed rail configuratiion,causes feeding issues.

I would discern that for myself.

There are lots of synthetics available. None better than McMillan in my opinion,though some are MUCH lighter. The lightest McMillan I have received,weighed about 24 ounces. It is a long action 700 inlet,in the Mountain Rifle pattern.

I've pretty much had them all and feel none surpass a McMillan. Last I counted I had 21 McMillan stocked rifles and I've nothing but good things to say about all of them..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the feeding problems with doing a conversion to ADL. I also have a 700BDL...took both rifles apart and could not tell any difference in the actions between the BDL and DBM. In fact I took the magazine box from the BDL and it fit right into the DBM. That was the extent of the inspection. I will take a closer look before making any purchases.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no feed rails on 700's that come from the factory with detachable magazines so the conversion will not work unless you want a single shot.I actually converted a bdl to a detatchable magazine using the factory remington magazine and triggerguard and a mcmillan stock.The advantage is that since my gun has feed rails I can convert it back if I decide to.The mcmillan stock is a much better stock than the factory piece.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Go McMillan... you will be happy like myself and others.....lots of others. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
After a closer inspection I see the difference with the feed rails. Looks like I'm sticking with the detachable magazine unless someone knows how to fix this. I'll probably stick with the stock I have if I don't find away to get rid of the detachable mag. Thanks for all the info...it saved me some real heartache.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the only other stock that comes close to comparing to the McMillan is the Rimrock by Borden. Not nearly the variety but top quality.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote