New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Weather Clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on my first elk this winter. If I had done a better job of planning our expected new edition (due date 11/2/02) I would be going to NM the first week of October, instead I will be going on a late season cow hunt in Jan. '03. We will be hunting the Northeast mountains of NM and the guy taking me says it can get cold in "them thar mtn.s". Being from the Carolinas I'm sure I have never experienced this type of cold. I do handle the cold, we get around here with no problem and that's sitting still on a ladder stand.

What type of clothing do you guys recommend I should start looking at purchasing? The guy taking me says the wind stopper stuff is what I want. He said the cold is one thing but the wind can really make it miserable.

This should go over well, I new baby due and I just bought a new rifle, scope and cost of a non-resident permit and now I need to go shopping for new clothes. I will probably be kissing up for some time to come.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't go too far wrong with good wool -- Filson, LL Bean, Johnson all make good stuff that will last.

You'll be moving around a heck of a lot more on an elk hunt than on a Carolina deer stand.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Windstopper is a must on my list. Above and beyond the absolute cold you will experience in the Rockies the wind can make your trip much less enjoyable. I would look into one of the wind resistant fleece jackets by Marmot, North Face, L.L. Bean... I bought one a few years ago specifically for this purpose and can say it is quite effective. A good neck gator/headsock is nice to have as a "just in case" item in your day pack. Manzella gloves are the cats meow; very warm and windproof but not overly bulky.
Aside from that, you cannot go wrong with high quality wool clothing. A pair of wool surplus pants will work great and are easier on the pocketbook.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nice topic!
As I'm thinking in buying the cabela's coverall dryplus thinsulate, it's wind and water proof.
What you guys think about it?
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
I've got 4 year old Browning Hydro Fleece- the insulated bibs and jacket- the best money I've ever spent for clothing. Wind/water proof- quiet and warm, it's hard to find better.

<sure-shot>
posted

I would consider a layering system. Use a quiet breathable rain parka as a windbreaker also. Order it one size up so if it really becomes cold you can wear an insulated sweater made of polartec underneath it. Cabelas Rainsuede works well for some of my friends, I prefer MT050. Sometimes you can find close-outs on quality hunting clothing at www.sierratradingpost.com
Hope this helps. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Layering" is the key, with an outer layer of some type of wind stopping material. Also some type of thin and strong rain gear to use as an outer layer when raining. You don't want to use any clothes that are too tight, specially when wearing them in layers. Don't forget about good footwear to support your ankles and allow perspiration to escape. Have some extra removable inserts of foot bed for your boots. Boots should not be tight to restrict blood flow. And finally, two sets of head gear such as "balaclava?" (don't remember how to spell the word). They are designed to be wore covering your head and face, or as a stocking cap. You will have to decide what gloves work best. I use neoprene gloves (large ones) when raining or when I want to keep my hands dry, but also take several cold weather gloves, and at least one set of mittens, and extra polypropylene socks. I never wear cotton when cold. And never misplace any of those items. Have them ready for use stored in a dry backpack. I place some of them in large ZipLock bags.

Remember: When walking or doing some kind of activity, the idea is not to get too hot and sweat. If you are moving around and start getting hot, stop and remove a layer or two and store it in the backpack. keep on removing or adding layers just to be comfortable. Once you stop moving you will have to add layers. Sweat on your skin will rapidly get you cold when you stop. That's why synthetic layers are the best, and wool.

Areas to protect:

a. Body
b. Face and head
c. Feet
d. Hands

Any of those would make your day miserable if not taken care of, so it is best to spend as much as you need to of gear.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys. It's reassuring to get other opinions For a five day hunt how many pairs of socks, underwear, boots, pants, shirts, gloves , hats??? I think I covered it all?

C-ROY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-ROY:
ons For a five day hunt how many pairs of socks, underwear, boots, pants, shirts, gloves , hats??? I think I covered it all?

C-ROY

Depends whether you have to carry it all on your back or if you're getting back to a ranch house every night.

In Maine last fall I hunted 8 days in temps from the teens and windy, to 50 and drizzling, with lots of walking in hills & swamps, and wore the same pants all but one day -- 16-18 hours a day including drive time to the hunting area.

In reality, all you need of anything is enough to have a dry one if you get rained on or really sweaty. My one exception to that rule would be socks. You'll want plenty of pairs of clean liners and boot socks.

Also, I'd think that in that time of year, the elk will be on their winter range which would cut down some on your snow exposure. Have fun, NM is a beautiful place.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We will be staying at an old cabin or in wall tents. Depending on where the elk are at the time of the hunt. We will pack in the day before and set camp.

C-ROY

<wrangler>
posted
We did a winter elk hunt this January-February. Talk about cold! When you are dealing with wind, it doesn't matter what the temp is....if it warms up the wind will blow harder, if it cools down any wind is too much. It is really hard to say exactly what you need. All the ideas and suggestions were valid and sound like they come from experience. I've lived here since '66 and when we went north for the elk I still got cold. About the only thing that I can add to all the others is this, when you are walking or sitting try to stay comfortably cool. Sweat will kill you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be stand hunting, I'd suggest a pair of pak boots. If it's really cold, one of those rabbit fur hats you see ( Elmer Fudd types) Last suggestion, one of those thermal exchange facemasks- they run the air you breathe through some wire mesh and warm up the air on the trip back in- really hot though. I don't use them much in South Dakota.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray

layering is the key, you can remove layers as you get warmer and put them on later. Wool is good but From years of working in the Northwoods and in the arctic in Canada I have found fleece is better, it dries out faster if it gets wet.

It is also cheaper than the overpriced brand name wool stuff.

Here is how I dress for cold weather

Start with a good set of long underwear or a union suit you are so inclined
Over this goes a helly hanson top and bottom.

If it is double didgits below freezing or ai expect to walk alot, I wear pants usually cotton or fleece and a flannel or wool shirt. covered with a light jacket and my blaze vest ( and a ball cap), I carry a wool hat in my pocket in case it gets colder

If it is much colder or I expect to sit most of the day, I will put on insulated overalls (or a wool overall if it is a dry day) an insulated shirt . I often wear a fleece vest if it is exceptionally cold. I usually wear a light jacket or just the vest and a blaze ballcap walking to the stand. I put on a heavier winter jacket and an insulated hat and gloves (that I carried in the pack) when I get to the stand.

By wearing the minimum, and adding layers as you need them, you don't overheat and sweat which is what chills you in the cold

all my clothes are loose enough to allow for good circulation

I wear wool overalls only when it is very cold and there is little chance that they get wet, because they wear a ton when they are wet and take forewver to dry out.

otherwise I generally prefer fleece which has similar properties as wool but dries out faster.

Get good footwear and always put on dry socks.

I usually either sorrel caribous which are rubber bottomed leather upper and allow you to remove the felt to replace it with a spare dry felt daily or the felt lined lacrosse boots that are entirely rubber with removeable felt liners. I usually bring 2 spare pairs of felt liners.

When it is 40 below, I usually wear 100 degree below zero pakboots made by Kaufman

One good trick is that if you are stand hunting in very cold weather, bring along an extra sleeping bag or comforter to wrap your lower body in while posted on the stand. I use a camo syntehetic sleeping bag for this when I hunt in cold weather.

RH

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
You can buy all of the expensive cabela's gear you want, but you wont be hunting with me. Wool is the only way to go. You will stay warm, and it is quite. Filson and Pendleton make the best stuff out there. It will last forever.