New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt neer Grand Rapids Mini
 Login/Join

Picture of Savage_man_300
posted
So I'm a Ca. native and have only as of yet persued a hand full of game. Blacktail, Bear, Turkey and a couple little critters.My Dad moved out to the mid west a couple years ago and when i went out to visit i noticed how much open land is around that area. i saw a few deer and alot of sign so i figured i might as well go out during season pay the out of state fees and see what i can do. so wheres a good spot on public land some where in the close vacinity to get a decent whitetail keep in mind our native bucks are little compaired to yours so im not holding out for a record but, im also not gunna pass one up.

thanks for the help Chris

Striving to be todays Jerimiah Johnson.

Posts: 24 | Location: Santa Rosa Ca. | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Are you talking Grand Rapids,Minnesota?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yup thats the one.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I lived north of there for too many years. N.MN can produce some great bucks, but it is tough hunting some times the snow can be deep and it can be VERY cold.There is also an influx of hunters from the Twin Cities, thousands of them..There is a lot of State and National forest land in that area, get some maps, buy a portable deer stand. Set it up in a promising area and stay in it ALL day every day, shoot the first legal deer you see. I had a camp in a remote area and that was how we hunted, sometimes the first buck was a dandy, others it was a forky!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
There are some good areas off of Highway 38 in the Suomi Hills Recreation Area as well as some others in the Chippewa National Forest. I also found some good areas of state and county lands in the George Washington State Forest east and west of Highway 65. Check around the Prairie River and Sherry Lake.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_forests/sft00021_4.pdf

There is also alot of area south of Grand Rapids of state and county lands. The Mississippi bottoms are excellent and there are some good areas around Floodwood.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Elkman thanks for the reminder forestry is an asset i had forgotten about my dad has worked for USFS my whole life and most of his. though he's not much a hunter any more i'de be willing to bet he knows some folks who could point me in the right direction. whats the point rule in MN single for or 3 point the way they count it? ill deffinately read all the rules before i go just wondering

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge no restrictions, one 3in polished horn, and additional doe tags are usually available

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
If you pick up a Gazetter map, you'll be able to find 1000's of acres of state forest to hunt. The bulk of the northern third of the state is public land. Aside from opening day of rifle season, you'll find that hunting pressure is much less than you'd expect. If you can deal with the snow and cold, muzzleloader season is also a very good option.

If you want to fill your freezer, you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you're looking for a trophy animal, you'll have to spend some time at it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. I've been hunting northern Minnesota for the past 20 years.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting about 40 miles from there in the natl forest for many years.I will send you some links to the chippewa natl forest and some other POI to get you an idea of what to expect.Bow season starts in september,rifle in november,so we got time.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote