New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes triple X Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not sure if this is the correct foram but I was wondering if any of you had any experance with Barnes triple shock bullets on Whiletail? Looks to me because of there comstruction they would just punch right through??

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
They work great. I've used the 6mm 85 gr, 7mm 160 gr and the 30 cal 168. All with great results. Here's a link to some wound pictures I posted a while back of a mule deer I took with the 160 gr. 7mm bullet.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=342108451#342108451

They shoot well in just about everything and they perform well.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hollow point on the tsx opens up very well even if no bone is hit.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot whitetails with 130gr in a 270 wcf and 210gr in 338 win mag. The 338 shots had the least meat damage I have ever seen on deer, and they were moving 3050fps! The kills were specatcular, with all the animals dying within 20yds of were the were shot. If I was ever told I could only use one bullet, the TSX would be it.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've shot antelope with the 140 grain TSX at 3200 fps out of my 7 mag and have had golf ball sized exit holes and total destruction of the lungs/heart area at ranges of 260 and 180 yards, with no major bones hit.

I would have no problem using them on any deer sized game.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12610 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hat sounds great but I also have another problem with those Bullets one is that if I seat them to the spec's I can only load the minume charge because if I go over they crush the cases. To Much powder I'm loading then on 284 win & 358 Win. Also on the 284 win they won't fit in a Browning BLR. The crazy thing is to keep the wight Barnes had to make the bullet longer. Man what a problem. So I guess your saying its worth it even with the loading nightmare?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hat sounds great but I also have another problem with those Bullets one is that if I seat them to the spec's I can only load the minume charge because if I go over they crush the cases.

What specs are you referring to?If you are referring to the overall cartridge length,you need to determine that for your own rifle rather than use any loading manual dimensions.

quote:
The crazy thing is to keep the wight Barnes had to make the bullet longer. Man what a problem.

When using the tsx,you can use a lighter weight bullet that keeps the overall length the same.
And of course you can always use a faster burning powder that requires a smaller charge and takes up less room.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sed1945:
I'm not sure if this is the correct foram but I was wondering if any of you had any experance with Barnes triple shock bullets on Whiletail? Looks to me because of there comstruction they would just punch right through??

They will punch thru, but that is GREAT. I've used them, adn they work very well.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have used them on 4 Alabama whitetails (about 100-110 lbs, soaking wet) and will again. I have had good luck with Triple Shocks out of a 270W, 300WSM, 338WM and a 416RM. I have shot everything from Steinbok (about 15 lbs) to Eland (around 2000 lbs) with them. You don't need a triple shock for whitetails, but I would not hesitate to use them.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I've shot 10 whitetail with 130gr 270 all of them have been Bang flops. i won't use any thing else, excpt may be the new MRX.
Dr B

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I love them. Now have more of that bullet than any other on the bench ready to load.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them! I have used them in Alaska and Africa and they perform flawlessly. Every animal in Africa was a one shot kill using the 180 grain txs out of a .300 wsm. I reload .270 grain tsx for my .375 ultra mag. They are VERY accurate also! It is the ONLY bullet I use now.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one whitetail with 180 grs TSX in .300 WM.

First shot hit the spine, from above (animal was going uphill), a piece of spine went missing, no exit hole. Second shot was a finisher, on the shoulder, no exit hole. I found one bullet just in front of the sternum, under the skin, not sure which one it was. Bullet obviously took a good hit but stayed in one piece.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what weight TSX bullet would you guys use in 30-06 for deer?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 150 grainer would be fantastic in the 30.06 and 308 for deer sized game. If you like heavier bullets the 165's would be great also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12610 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
So what weight TSX bullet would you guys use in 30-06 for deer?

Honestly, whichever wt. shoots best in your rifle. I shoot the 168 myself because I can't get a group bigger than 0.4 with that bullet in my rifle....good problem to have IMO.

Any one of them will kill any deer, even the 130. I think the 168 is a good all around choice though. Every animal I put one through just flops over...I've posted several kill pics in the past with this load.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I shot three sitka blacktails with 200 TSX in a 300 win mag.

I think they are a great deer bullet. They did open up a bit. They do not cause much bloodshot which makes them my favorite bullet.

I got some MR-X bullets to try next time. They look like they may open up a bit faster.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote