Find
Notify
Tools

Missouri BUCK results, with PICTURES
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, I do not want to write alot tonight, I'm tired. Normally I would pass on a buck like this one with a rifle, on this farm in Missouri, but we noticed a trend across northern MO. There just weren't near the deer numbers as in past years. Plus, the landowner had some poachers kill over 8 bucks. He found all of them within 120 yards of his gravel road with their heads cut off. Judging by the body size, I assumed they were all trophies. No one lives on the farm itself so there's no one to watch for poachers. I shot the only buck I saw. I shot this buck on the last evening. He was chasing a doe. She peed, he stopped to sniff, bang, flop, at 50 yards.

30.06, 168 Triple Shock over H4350. Bullet performed flawlessly. He never knew what hit him.

My friend shot a doe. I'll do a different post titled, "why I do NOT like core lokt bullets."

Picture of TheKiwi
posted Hide Post
Well done Doc, that is a fine looking Buck and will surely be good eating!!

Warm barrels,
The kiwi.

Posts: 28 | Location: Canberra Australia | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Goin!

Posts: 2690 | Location: United States of America | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I'll volunteer to hunt with you there in order to help stop the poachers. I know it will be a sacrifice but I'm willing to help. ....DJ

Nice buck.....

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Actually, you need to be a bowhunter too then. Evan has closed his farm from firearms for the next 2 seasons to try and build up the herd a bit. He will only allow bowhunting and you can only take MATURE animals...his words. Meaning, BIG bucks and BIG does.

In 1995, we killed about 11 or more does that all weighed around 180-200lbs.

It is a perfect farm for deer habitat. Beans, alfalfa, corn, milo, acorns, acorns, acorns, acorns...

1300 acres. Only 2 bowhunters next 2 years so far, including me...unless Brian takes up bowhunting too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks REAL TASTY Doc

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, bravo !

What about a good sauce with mushrooms and red wine. Yum.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! although, I am really surprised you managed to drop it with a measly old '06... at 50 yds, I thought you at LEAST needed one of the new short 7mm -30 cal magnums...
.....on a serious note, I personally like the standard Hornady bullets out of my 6.5 Swede.... "regular" priced, and deadly... no failures yet, that I know of... none have been recovered... premium bullets are, to me, a little pricey for little ol deer.... or, in your case, medium ol deer...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc: Reading your posts for the past several weeks, you sure do get around - great hunts in Wyoming, Kentucky, now Missouri, as I recall. How in the hell do you get away with it?????

Congrats on a fine buck - sign this one Extremely Jealous

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doc: Reading your posts for the past several weeks, you sure do get around - great hunts in Wyoming, Kentucky, now Missouri, as I recall. How in the hell do you get away with it?????

Congrats on a fine buck - sign this one Extremely Jealous

It's not over yet. Still heading out west for elk and to Kansas for deer.

How do I get away with it? I am my own boss, self employed. I have but one life, might as well live it to its fullest and do the things I love doing.