New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Kills with One Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Many years ago I hunted on a relative's place in the Texas Hill Country which was overrun with whitetail does. He wanted me to kill at least a couple, and put me in a stand over a nearby feeder.

Soon, four does approached and began to feed. I picked out the best one and watched for it to present a sure neck shot (only 25 yards away) as it grazed about the opening below me. As the does grazed around in the limited area, I noticed that they frequently "lined up" with one another from my vantage point in the stand. This gave me the idea that if I could wait for the one I wanted to pass in front of another, preferably with their necks crossing, I might get a "two-fer" shot.

After patiently waiting 20 minutes or so, watching them come temptingly close to the shot I wanted, the large doe finally stepped in front of, but very close to, another of the does, leaving their necks one-behind-the-other. At my shot, both fell like a sack of rocks.

The gun was a .22-250 loaded with the old Nosler Zippedo solid base bullets.

Has anyone else every had a one-shot, two kill experience, either purposefully or by accident?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot three fish with one arrow, does that count?

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
One day, many, many moons ago, I found out how well X-bullets penetrate when shooting a nice mulie. The four point turned into six points...... Dropped like sacks of flour.

Talk about total consternation, though. One of those lessons learned at an early age. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only on prairie dogs. I have had 3 lined up before, but the bullets never made it out of the 2nd dog. 75 gr V-max's in 6mm.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was guiding a gentleman on an elk hunt. He got excited and shot a cow in the butt at about 200 yards. I had been waiting for a calf to clear to tell him to shoot. He couldn't wait and hit the cow and the calf. Killing neither outright I got to go and finish them. I have no idea what what bullets the moron was shooting in his .300. I really hope I never get the pleasure of his company again!!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
I shot two whitetail does with a 50 cal blackpowder with one shot. Came into the edge of a swamp and a doe stood up about 50 yards away. I shot her through the neck and didn't even see the deer behind her until two deer dropped. Both were shot through the neck.

Posts: 522 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Last year in Zimbabwe, I got a kudu bull and a zebra with one 300 grain Barnes X from my 375/404 rifle.

It was not intentional.

We saw them standing in the bush, the kudu was about 200 yards away, and the zebra was about 35 yards more, but to the right of him.

It certainly looked clear that if I hit the kudu in the shoulder, the bullet will NOT hit the zebra.

At the shot, the kudu took off, but we saw the zebra drop down. We ran up to him and found him with a broken spine, as the bullet hit him smack in the middle of his body. I put another bullet into him to finish him off, and then we started looking for our kudu.

We found the kudu stone dead after he ran about 50 yards. He was hit in the middle of shoulder, and the bullet went out, then changed direction to the right by several degrees, and hit the zebra.

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have kind of the opposite story to tell. Couple yrs ago my buddy, I, and a friend go on a 4 day caribou hunt. For some reason he "thinks" we should have a nice tender, small cow for camp meat. We think we have him talked out of it. The day after we land he's "up and at it" and strolling away from the tent towards an area where we see carribou. I get my boots on and go after him. He's 6'4" and damn hard to keep up to. I'm coming up a hill when I hear a bang and then about 20 seconds later another bang. I get up to him and say well you couldn't resist the camp meat could you. He says "ya, you're right but I can't believe I missed the first shot". Right away I think he's a pretty good shot I sure as hell hope he doesn't have 2 down. We go over a small rise and look into a shallow swail and there are our 2 carribou for camp meat for 3 guys for a 4 day hunt!!!!!
Luckily he is a local resident and can shoot up to 5 bou on a trip. We sure gave him hell as we cleaned those 2 carribou watching some real nice bulls look at us as we geared up to pack them back!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was but a wee lad, my Dad, a cousin and a friend of my cousin went out hunting in Central Texas.
The friend was one of the worst shots I've ever seen to this day. After expending almost a box (20 rds) of ammo and not hitting a hair, we found 8 does standing in somewhat of a line from right to left.
He aimed at the doe on the far left and fired. Immediately, that doe drops, as does the one on the far right side of the little herd. My dad asked if I shot and I said no.
When we got down there, both does tried to get up and were quickly put down. It was then we found that his bullet had struck the front left leg of the doe on the left and richocheted accross the other deer and struck the doe on the far right in her right front leg.
To this day, I can't figure out how that bullet went by all the other deer and their legs and didn't hit a thing.
That friend doesn't hunt w/ us or my cousin anymore either!

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
<wolf6151>
posted
Several years ago my Dad was hunting in the Texas hill country just north of San Antonio when he saw an 8 pt. buck in some white brush and shot it. He walks up to the deer a short time later and finds two 8 pt. bucks laying on the ground beside each other. He was shooting a 30-06 and hadn't seen the second deer, then the work really began with 2 deer on the ground and lots of cleaning chores ahead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We found the kudu stone dead after he ran about 50 yards. He was hit in the middle of shoulder, and the bullet went out, then changed direction to the right by several degrees, and hit the zebra.

His bullet had struck the front left leg of the doe on the left and richocheted accross the other deer and struck the doe on the far right in her right front leg.

Sounds like Dealey Plaza reloads to me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I've had it happen a few time down here on Kangaroos, but a mate had a two for one on his first ever go of a rifle. He asked me "Does that always happen?" I tried to keep a stoney face while berating him for not cleaning up the rest of the mob. (culling, not hunting)

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dentist friend was hunting near Uvalde, Texas and shot a doe inside his lease near the high fence line of the neighboring lease. The doe dropped, but when he went up to pick her up he noticed that there was a very dead white fallow buck about 30' on the OTHER side of the fence [Confused] [Eek!] . The dentist and his lease's land owner drove over to the other property owners house and told him what happened - [Frown] however, the dentist knew that the price was going to be steep when he heard the other property owner's wife wail "Oh my God, he killed Snowball?!!!" [Eek!] [Frown] . Mike said the meat was delicious [Big Grin] and the head mount looks nice on his wall [Big Grin] , but he doesn't plan on any more "2/fer" hunts anytime soon [Wink] .

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 3 pigeons with one shot from a 6mm (on the ground).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was about 14 I shot two large buck roo's with one cartridge of Winchester 00 buck they were 7 feet apart and I shot them from 60 paces.

[ 08-28-2002, 17:22: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago, I killed two whitetail does with one shot from a 50 caliber muzzlelaoder (round ball to boot). They were standing perfectly side-by side at about 40 yards. I shot the one in front through the lungs, the ball passed through the first deer and hit the second deer through the shoulers - passing through both. The first deer ran about 30 yards, the second fell in it's tracks. The round balls were cast from wheel weight lead, and were very hard.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I've had many opportunities to try "two-fer" shots on deer and wild hogs over the years, but have always waited until I could take just one animal cleanly before shooting.

As many of your stories illustrate, there is no way to predict with certainty where the bullet will go after it passes through the first animal. Frequently the second animal is wounded, not killed, and may not be recovered.

I feel that we owe the game animals we hunt a quick, humane death and pass up shots that offer a high probability of wounding.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
It happened to me last year and was entirely unintentional. There were 3 does (I thought) eating under a feeder at about 90 yards from my stand. I was shooting my Weatherby Ultra Lite 270 Winchester with Federal Premiums 130 gr. TBBC's. One of the does was pretty big and chose her, but waited until the smaller one behind her separated enough to take the shot (I thought again). Took the shot and both fell. Couldn't believe it! I thought (need to quit thinking) I shot two does with one bullet, but the smaller one was a button buck. Crap! We only shoot does on this place or bucks if we are willing to mount them.

Didn't mount the button buck by the way. They do make good hamburger. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
These events happen several times a year here in france, where we usually hunt driven animals: wild boars try to escape the hunt in groups, and some hunters sometimes do not care to chose an isolated animal. Using 300s, 9,3X62 or 9,3X74, at close range, two animals side by side are generally hit...
I also feel that's nothing to brag about.

olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
I shot three fish with one arrow, does that count?

Bowfishing or underwater spearfishing?

Once I got 2 with one arrow. I aimed at the first pollack as the shoal was coming by me (at one meter), the arrow decapitated him (trident), continued its course and poked a second one stone dead...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KB, I was "bowfishing", a long time ago. We had some fish that washed out of the pond and were in one of the deeper holes in the creek. They were laying up under the far bank, must have been stacked like playing cards in there. I used a regular Aluminum arrow w/target point, and it stuck them to the bank.

Not many places to go spearfishing (or scuba diving for that matter) around here [Frown] , but did have a "dive-buddy" in the Gulf of Mexico that spearfished. There were so many fish around that oil rig that he was up and down like a cork the whole dive.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I haven't ever shot a 2fer or seen one, except for shooting two ducks in the head on a pond) but I have seen a couple deer and elk shot by "accident".

I watched my dad shoot a small buck from about 300 yards away in an alfalfa field. At the shot it dropped and then got up and took off running. He shot it again and it went right down. When we got to it we could find only one bullet hole. I walked back to where it was at the first shot and found another, identical buck, stone dead, shot through the shoulders.

Several years ago my buddy, Mike, and I were hunting elk near Bozeman, Montana. We were following a trail up a ridge when a cow elk stood up on a shelf above us and looked down at us from about 50 yards. Mike was in front so he immediatly shot with his .300 Win and she dropped straight down and then stood back up. He shot again and about 30 cows blew outta there. When we got to the shelf there were two cows lying next to each other, both shot between the front legs.

Major Booboo:
My buddy Steve in Montana took a friend from Kalifornia hunting along the Smith River near Cascade. The dipstick shot at a running doe without checking what was behind her. He killed a prize cutting horse across the river in a ranchers corral. The dipstick then claimed Steve was the one that killed it. The autopsy revieled it was killed by a .30 caliber bullet. Steve shoots a .280. Cost the dipstick $50,000.

Know what's behind your target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago I accidently dropped a cow kudu that ran behind the bull that we stopped on a ridge with a quick whistle. The PH was watching with his binoculars and never saw the cow either. Of course I was pretty well focused on the center of the crosshairs. I was shooting a 9.3x62 with 250 gr Barnes X's. The bullet went in the slightly quartered bulls shoulder, out behind the off shoulder, in the cows shoulder and lodged just under the skin behind the off shoulder. The bullet was a classic "X" mushroom and weighed 250 grains. The bull dropped at the shot, the cow dropped 15 yards from the bull.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Accidents can happen...

But deliberately lining up two animals for a "Two-fer" is the mark of the Slob Hunter.

It is nothing to brag about.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I once killed 2 squirrels sitting side-by-side with a 22LR.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

Is it okay to line two up if you're swatting mosquitos and flies?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just shot 2 ~100# sows last friday night, waited till they lined up... and, wow, a 416 with 400 gr will NUKE em.
btw, the back hog got the bad end of the deal... about 10" apart, the first one was a high in the shoulder, slight downward angle, the second one got it behind the shoulder, with a CONE OF DOOM from the spine and shoulder of the first one...
first hog had a nice 416 hole, and about a 1.5 on the way out... the other had SEVERAL holes in, and the far side split open... like 00shot at 15feet. Both fell to the shot.
hmmm, nice weekend
jeffe

Posts: 38610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deliberately trying to take 2 fer 1 is not something I like to do. the chance of failure is too big and the poor critter, perhaps just wounded, might never be found.
However I have done it. Twice in one evenings duck hunt.
A pal and I was sitting at a partly frozen lake, when I had just accidentially taken two with one. I was about to take the last one from my dog, after she retrieved it, when two ducks come flying in, in front of me, towards my buddy, who's sitting to the right at the edge of the frozen pond.
My thought was to take the both of them and not leave any left for him, but by using a barrel for each. I fire the first barrel and they both come falling from the sky [Wink] because of their forward motion, they slid on the ice to stop just a few feet from my buddys feet. I kept a stoneface and said: Plase take those for me will ya.. [Big Grin]
But generally I try not to take 2 for 1.. Too risky.

K&B
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote