New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still Hunting Whitetails?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to hear from some that have tried it and your experience with or without success. Particularly in the east but also anywhere there is thick (noisy) cover limiting the shot to..... O'l, say 120 yards or less with less being more likely.

I realy like to hunt this way on private land when I usualy know where the other hunters will be and have had some success with it. I have a theory based on weather and would be interested in the thoughts of others.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, It's about the only way I hunt deer in the creek and river bottoms of middle Georgia. That would be "east" with a little drawl. If I had shots of 120 yards I'd have to get a real rifle, but since they are typically less than 15 yards a Mod 94 or my T/C Carbine are enough gun. I use to sit in trees like the squirrels and even shot some deer doing it, but my success rate has soared since I started going into their home turf in pursuit.

If the thread developes a bit further I'll annoy you with details, but for the time being here's a few tips. You gotta have cammo that does that, and allows you to move silently. You MUST have good cammo for your face. Not paint, but mesh. You must work upwind and you must do it with excruciating slowness. Covering 1/4 mile in a morning means you're moving too fast for my tastes, 1/4 mile in the best part of a day is better. It is a wonderful strategy for windy days, the noisier the better. Your gun should be handy, scope power if you have one, LOW. Still hunters shoot very close usually, high power will only show you hair. I like 2.5X but sometimes that's too much. You cannot find cover too dense for this strategy, the trick is learning how to move through it without making noise. When you learn how to walk through dry fall leaves silently and step to within feet of a turkey, you have graduated From the University of Still Hunting.

I'm sure that climbing moutains is more physically demanding, but you WILL sleep well after a full day of this hunting style.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That all sounds good to me, but why the mesh face cammo vs. paint?

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up in Maine I really didn't know there was much of anyother way to hunt whitetails than still hunting. We used to do some drives but they usually were scary affairs with too many guns and too little brain power. Anyway still hunting usually presented a target at full alert and speed by the time you saw it. Tough shooting and a wonder I never lost a deer. I'm much happier now in a stand, blind or doing an open country spot and stalk.

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Steve-When I was growing up in Idaho whitetails were scarce.Mulies ruled and now it is the opposite.Whitetails are the nuisence especially during Elk season.Cackling and snorting stomping and just nutso when I am not interested in little deer.Noisy buggers at the least.Butt

Try to hunt them in the thick noisie woods and it don't work after the Elk.Thinking tree stand for the first time.There thick but smart............??

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan, Outstanding post with lots of good tips. Looking forward to the other tips you are saving.

Hey 43deer, I also believe the "Mesh Face Masks" work better than the Face Paint because it helps break up the "face profile".

Here are a few of my tips. A "Ghillie Suit" is perhaps the best form of camo I've used for Still Hunting because it breaks up your outline even more than any camo cloth made. It is very HOT< !--color--> to wear however. I prefer sweating to snow, but once you break a sweat, your scent is multiplied by the thousands. So Dan's mention of hunting "Into the wind" is even of more importance.

If you decide not to go with a Ghille Suit, wear a Boonie hat over the Mesh Face Mask. It will also lessen the change in your profile when you must turn your head. Wear the Mask up high enough so you are just barely looking over the bottom of the eyehole. And wear the Boonie hat down at the front so you are jsut barely seeing under the brim. This helps hide your eyes from all the critters you will see. If they do see your eyes, you messed up.

I used a 12 gauge and 000 Buck for a lot of my Still Hunting. Can't use Buckshot in KY, so the 444Mar and iron sights will be the firearm of choice. Also agree with Dan's mention of a "Low Power" scope if one is used at all. You want to make absolutely sure that whatever you choose, that it doesn't tend to hang on your clothing as you bring it up and that your eye aligns immediately without having to monkey around (aka PRACTICE!).

A small pair of binoculars can be of help to look through shin-tangle, make out an antler tip or the inside of an ear. I probably spot the ears quicker than anything else when they are bedded. Sometimes I catch a flick of movement or will just notice the "white spot" off in the distance. When you bring the binoculars up, do it very slowly and keep your arm against your body as much as possible.

Never take a step long enough that light is visible "between your legs" from the side. Have a friend watch you move. If your foot gets far enough ahead ina step that he can distinguish two legs, then you are taking too big of a step. Very tiring.

You will have to decide at the time of the shot if it is important to move quickly or not to get the firearm in your shoulder. When I could use the Buckshot, shooting at a "moving" Deer was occasionally possible, but sometimes not. Now restricted from using the Buckshot, I seriously doubt I'll take any shots at "moving" Deer. Just depends. But you do need to be mentally prepared for what you need to do. Needless to say, if you find a bedded Deer, just move slow - real slow.

We had to wear either Snake Boots or Chaps in the SC Lowcountry and they were quite noisy when rubbed together. Noise is not something you want. So just be aware of it and reduce it wherever possible.

Oh yes, perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, you should begin practicing your Still Hunting RIGHT NOW!! Going afield and sneaking around will teach you more than anything I can possibly tell you. You can practice all you want and learn from your mistakes.

---

I'd been in a Stand called the Cockpit for an afternoon hunt. Time to come down so I got all my stuff together and got on the ground. As I slowly came out of the woods, the moon put enough light on the Bean field (which had not been visible from the Stand) that I could see 4 Deer near the edge. Didn't want to scare them and have them run off "Blowing an Alert", so I went into the Still Hunt mode. The Senior Doe spotted me after I'd move within 25yds of them, but did not Alert. She stared and stared. I knew I needed to go on and get out of the field real soon, or technically I'd be "night hunting" which was illegal. So,while she was staring directly at me, I was still able to get within 10yds before she took the small herd back into the woods.

She never did alert and I believe it was because I was "hand waving" a fake tail by my side. I can't take credit for the idea, cause my hunting buddy John came up with it. If you are close to a Deer and you are sure it is staring at you, you can try moving your off-side hand just enough that it would resemble a Deet Tail giving the "Everything is OK" twitch. Hard to believe it works, but it all works together.

---

So, get to practicing and best of luck to you!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to still hunt whitetails in a light rain or mist. The woods are quiter. I wear full cammo with gloved hands. I normally wear military aviators gloves as they provide a level of warmth and fit close. Work well even in winter. If I need more I add fingerless rag wool gloves over those. Never needed more than that even on stand. I like a face vail and boonie hat also. Definately moving a slow is a must and you can never move too slow. Carry a grunt tube or doe bleat with you and learn to make some basic turkey sounds just with your mouth. This way if you slip or snap a branch you can make a "natural" sound to help cover it. Do not move in a regular rythm. Humans have two legs and forest animals (except birds) have four thus the cadence of their walk is defferent. Turkey's typically take a couple steps and scratch in the leaves and dirt for food. Try to imitate the turkey. Try to put your foot down toe first and thin soled boots work best. This gives you more "feel" for the ground. If you feel a stick or twig you can just stay on your tip toes for the next step. Gives better ballance in wet slipper ground also. Bino's help pick apart scrub and see whats behind it but you got to have them securely attached so they do not swing and clink. Dress in light layers so you can vent and not sweat to much. In rolling terrain the wind will change direction but try to maintian the wind in your face as much as possible. Side winds are OK but not the best. Using these methods I have moved to within 20 yards of numerous deer and within 10 yards of a couple feeding turkey. When you hear turkey a contact "puck" really puts them at ease and then once you see them move only when they are feeding or looking away. Slow and steady. Do not spook the turkey as they can give the deer warning and the deer will then move from the area as well. I also moved into the middle of a mess a squirrel this way. 12 squirrel arround me about 270 degrees worth all less than 15 yards away.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core has it about the net/mesh face cover. It breaks the outline and conceals the eyes. Remember, you'll be very close to your quarry and wildlife is very attuned to eyes. You can have small openings in the mesh to clear your field of vision, in fact I recommend that, but the object is to obscure a form/outline they are familiar with. I have had both owls and hawks land almost within arms reach while so attired, and if it fools them....

I have never used a ghillie suit and am guessing that it would greatly impede movement though thickets etc. I think cammo pattern is a matter of locale and choice as well as season. I do like very bulky if loose clothing, cotton, or perhaps some of that soft fuzzy stuff you see on the racks now and then, don't know what it's called. I kinda look like the Swamp Thing FWIW. Freedom of movement is important. Gloves of course, and be clean when you do this, particularly during periods of light fluky breezes. Scent maskers are a good idea as well, but not entirely necessary. One thing you will find out is that it is very easy to have too much clothing on. This is a very strenuous activity and it is easy to work up a sweat in warm weather. I find myself sometimes wearing only a cammo blouse over a tee-shirt in 30-35* weather and very comfortable, whereas I'd be freezing my butt off in a stand given a few hours and a light breeze.

As to the method of movement: Watch a deer sometime and you'll note that whitetails tend to browse a bit, then freeze, often with no warning. They, like us, have problems seeing movement while they are moving, so they pause at seemingly random moments to scope things out. It is a pattern you must mimic, only at a slower pace, and without the intervening casual movement associated with their browsing. He who sees first wins in this game. Take very small, and very slow, deliberate steps. You may look where you are putting your feet, or with a bit of experience, be able to feel the odd branch or twig that will crack if you put weight on it. Soft soles on your footwear will help in this regard. Your arms should move like molasses if they have to move at all, your gun at the ready, never slung. NEVER try to use your scope to scan your surroundings. NEVER. If your terrain favors short range glassing wear a small pair of binocs around your neck. Your movement should be up wind on established pathways, and should be a series of "small victories". You are here: X You want to be there: Y . There are trees or obstructions along the way that become those goals, 10-15', or perhaps a bit further away. Move from one to the other, eyes scanning as you evolve from one spot to the next. Stop there and look! Really really LOOK! All around you. Look for shapes out of place, horizontal lines, movement, a licker of white, a limb that just moved for no apparent reason. LOOK again at those places a deer might bed, and look LOW for horns and ears. EVERY STEP YOU TAKE REVEALS A NEW PERSPECTIVE, AND HIDES ANOTHER. Edges are excellent for this as whitetails frequently bed in such places in mid day. They keep their eyes on the field, the wind at their back, and most likely the woods as well. When you see a wood line that suits this scenario, be especially cautious and attentive. As you move within the cover you must ensure you have cleared the edge that is down wind of you as you proceed or you will see a "covey rise" when you pass upwind.

Moving thru bottoms requires more diversified attention and sometimes more effort to get thru quietly. A pair of small and QUIET clippers can be a big asset. Rather than stooping you may find that cutting a single grape vine or small branch will clear your path, and cause less commotion than going around. Do so and don't let it fall, rather, gently let it down by your leg and lean it on something before you release it. In the course of all of this you may be seen by a deer, but it is something they likely have not witnessed before and will at the outset be more inclined to curiosity than fear. It typifies the nature of what you are doing; moving thru the woods like smoke, and if seen, presenting a vision that is not alarming.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SteveM70:

For what it's worth to you, I regularly stillhunted white tails in NY's Catskill Mountains as a teenager(some 50 years ago). Because the Catskills were relatively close to NYC, they were very heavily hunted in the first week of what usually was a two week season (last two weeks of November) by city hunters. This meant that ytou took your life in your hands to be moving in the woods in early days of the season. However, Thanksgiving day week usually was quiet.

You do need rain to soak down the leaves (if you're hunting in hardwoods) and best of all, a light snow. (Deer like the rest of us don't care much to move in rain but a light snow falling definitely doesn't bother them. Move very slowly, stopping about every minute or so and just standing there ( constantly check your back trail. You'll be surprised how often you'll see a deer standing and checking you out) Your shot is almost certain to be a snap shot and you must always be on the alert. I mean always. It is real fun and beats stand hunting - if you don't need all that much to shoot a buck. In other words, I have gone home at night with a feeling that I had really been hunting and had tried to meet the deer on his own ground. I just got outwitted - and it isn't the same feeling you get after hours on a stand -and you feel like you were "skunked" when you don't get a shot on the stand.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whooeee, you boys do know how to still hunt whitetails. And I thought G. Fred Asbell was THE authority on still hunting. From what Dan and Mark and Hotcore and 54Jnoll write, I can see where I've gone wrong all these years: I've taken only one buck off of Wolverton Mountain, and that only a six pointer. Oh, yeah, I got a couple poachers and one trespasser (a PETA guy), but only one whitetail. Maybe this year...

Posts: 44 | Location: Wolverton Mountain, NH | Registered: 22 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oh, yeah, I got a couple poachers and one trespasser (a PETA guy)

I guess that's why "they say, don't go up on Wolverton Mountain"

Guys, Thanks for the great advice so far! You can bet I'm looking forward to putting some of those tactics to use.

As for my limited experience with still hunting. I started doing it about 4 years ago one very miserable cold, windy morning. It was just to cold to stay on stand and to top it off it started pouring the snow around 9:00 Am. I took to the ground and slowed my walking way down once I started warming up, long story short, I had a succesfull hunt!

Since then I have used this method on simular days employing some of the techniques mentioned above like hat way down to hide my eyes, arms tucked in to my body, limiting movement to only my legs, and stopping often to look for "deer parts".

I've found that I like this style of hunting better than set and wait. Until now I've only tried it in foul weather because,
1. Most deer will be bedded during the day if it's windy, especialy if you add hard rain or snow.
2. A hard wind in your face really puts things in your favor when sneaking up to bedding areas.
3. Deer seem to be more reluctant to jump and run on days like this.

Number 3 is the one that seems to be in my favor most often. I'm not sure if they choose to ignore small danger signs because there patterning of humans tells them that were not out there on these type of days or they just choose to remain holed up and let you walk on by more often, rather than slip off, due to the weather. In any event, it just seems that I can get in close in bad weather even when the deer seem to suspect something but are not quite spooked.

Well, thats my limited still hunting experience so far, it may well work for me in better weather, I've just never tried it!

Sorry about my rambling, not very good at putting my thoughts to words. And again, THANKS for the advice so far.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve: I 'm going to add a different twist to this thread. I have a approach that I call wandering. Simply walk to you find sign (fresh) then slow down. repeat if nessary.You don,t need camo or paint or any military surplus. Not to say that other stuff isn't fun. Been hunting that way for a long time. Forget your watch and remember your compass.Deer aren't really smart, they have to be right all the time , we only have to fool them once. Good guns to use are any thing you can shoot in a hurry.They aren,t that stupid. Above works in all weather snow, rain, crunchy leaves ect. Also works on public or private land. The most important thing is think like a deer, they know hunters are around for the most part. But they still got to eat and sleep. Get to know your area and you'll find one wondering what you are.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that approach works and have picked up a few deer doing it, but my sense of it that it's success is a reverse psychology thing. You don't appear to be hunting(like preseason scouting) and therefore are not threat. I do not find it productive in comparison to still hunting but a walk in the woods still makes for a good day. Yes, I wear jeans and Gucci loafers, Izod knits and cool sunglasses for cammo when "Wandering". Been thinking about getting a golf bag too...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer still hunting over all other methods I've tried. I hunt with a "gang", so part of my hunting time is spent doing drives and other things that are part of my responsibilty to the rest of the group. I almost never stump sit, and never tree sit. About half of the big game animals (mostly deer and moose) I've taken have been by still hunting or variations on that theme.

I do most of my still hunting in a wilderness area in Ontario, so these methods may not apply in all situations.

When I put my feet down, I try to put them down squarely, rather than heel and toe, to simulate a moose or bear step (I'm too heavy to simulate a deer).

I move through the bush in a "meandering" way - much like the way a deer walks. Only predators "bee-line" it.

I move extremely slowly when still hunting, and wherever possible, I position my frequent stops next to a tree or bit of brush that will mask my profile.

I try never to stop or move where I'll be skylined. I try to stay below the crests of hills, and use natural saddles to cross over.

Of course I use the wind to the best available advantage. You have to move downwind once in a while, I try to do it on an angle, but if I can't (due to the terrain), I do it very quickly hoping to overtake a disturbed deer before it completely vacates the area. Occasionally a deer will step aside as well, just to see what this thing blundering through the bush is - no predator moves this irresponsibly.

If I see branches on the ground (part of a downed tree), I position my feet in the direction that the branches lie. In this way, any unseen branches under the leaves are likely aligned in the same direction, and less likely to snap loudly.

I try to walk with my legs slightly bent at the knees and hips - this allows me to walk more quietly than if I'm "stiff legged".

Whenever possible, I try to hunt both "up-wind" and "down-sun" to take advantage of both phenomena - particularly early and late in the day.

Sometimes, if I still hunt to within sight of a small thicket in an area thats generally open (or open hardwoods), I'll go from still-hunting mode to a care free "stroll-in-the-woods mode", and angle myself as if to miss the thicket but come relatively close. At my nearest approach to the thicket, I'll turn and run towards it. I'll then stop at a point where I can see any deer that gets up thinking I've spotted it.

When I come upon the scent of a deer, I'll quickly look up wind to see if it's standing there, and then I'll turn and run 30 or 40 yds down wind hoping to catch it trying to scent me. Deer often move downwind to catch the scent of (and identify) an unidentified animal that has disturbed them.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Of course I use the wind to the best available advantage. You have to move downwind once in a while, I try to do it on an angle, but if I can't (due to the terrain), I do it very quickly hoping to overtake a disturbed deer before it completely vacates the area.
At my nearest approach to the thicket, I'll turn and run towards it. I'll then stop at a point where I can see any deer that gets up thinking I've spotted it.
When I come upon the scent of a deer, I'll quickly look up wind to see if it's standing there, and then I'll turn and run 30 or 40 yds down wind hoping to catch it trying to scent me. Deer often move downwind to catch the scent of (and identify) an unidentified animal that has disturbed them.

There are 3 Blistering HOT Tips< !--color--> that do work quite well under some circumstances. Rick did a right good job of explaining them too. The "running" trick makes everything about the Hunt change from controlled to reactive.

My buddy John(mentioned above about the Deer Tail hand wave) and I would ALWAYS get together after EVERY hunt and discuss what we'd noticed. One of the things we picked-up on was that on occasion, if a shot was taken and missed by someone, as long as they didn't start "talking" the Deer might move a short distance and stop. The Deer would stand around looking back and if nothing moved or was heard in 10 minutes or so, they would calm down and go about their normal routine. I doubt this is true in vast open spaces, but it does happen in HEAVY growth swamps and woods of the Southeastern USA.

On one occasion a guy noted for Buck Fever apparently missed "a few" shots at a group of Does. John and I went back to that Stand and went to the end of the logging road where he said they had been when he shot. We got there probably an hour or so after the morning hunt and saw no indications of a hit.

We knew people had been in Stands around this long somewhat narrow funnel and had not seen the herd leave. So, we felt they would be still in this section and most likely bedded. We had also cleared some Trails through the woods in previous years which allowed us access and the ability to easily drag them out when kills were made.

John and I had discussed the "Run and Stop" idea to see what would "Pop Up" but had never tried it. John is the World's Best at trying new things. So, we decided to try it. This woods had been logged 8-10 years before for Pulp Wood and the stumps had not been sold yet. So they were still in the ground and would provide a slight elevation advantage when we reached them.

We made sure we were loaded, take off about 15yds apart and run for about 25yds, jump atop a stump and intently scan ahead of us with the rifles in our shoulders. Nothing the first two "runs". On the third run when I get stopped, I see a Doe head Pop-Up from behind a brush pile at maybe 50-60yds. I was using a M99 Savage in 300Sav and quickly settled the crosshair right about the nose. Had the scope cranked down to 3x, noticed everything was "steady" and fired. Just after the first shot another Doe Popped-Up to the right of the first one and I also get a shot at it.

Confident in both shots, John joined me to go get the Doe and drag them out.

So, the method does work under certain circumstances.

But, there is more to this story. When we went to get the Doe, we could not find a thing - nothing. No sign of a hit on either one. Two misses "by ME". No way possible. I was irate to say the least.

John suggested I take a shot at the "stump" I'd been atop and see if the old M99 might be off a bit. Told him I sure didn't think that was possible, because of it's previous repeatability. I had TOTAL Confidence in the rifle and Load. Sure that I'd somehow managed to TOTALLY MISS - TWICE, I agreed to show him it had to be ME. Had a nice aiming spot on the stump, settled in and shot completely over the stump. Went to change the scope setting and "discovered" someone had decided to crank it to FULL Elevation "as a joke". I found out who did it and he was not allowed back to hunt again while I was there.

Which brings up one last Tip - don't allow just anyone to have access to your rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still hunting is fun and to some extent most of us might want to move around in the woods anyway so doing it in the best way for the conditions is a good idea.

When the deer are tame it's not that hard to get a look at one long enough to shoot but if their hunted hard then it's best to wait for conditions that are in your favor. Moving or quartering into the wind when the ground is wet is a good time for it.

It's also best to stop and be motionless from time to time. The eye picks up motion much easier. I have had better luck this way rather than stopping and using binoculars as then I am moving my hands.

As to the posts on wearing face masks etc when walking in the woods that really concerns me. I wear blaze orange even if it's not required. It's up to you but I have met people in the woods who are almost blind.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suck at stand hunting because I don't have that much patience, so still hunting is what I prefer. I can't add a lot to what has been said so far, except that I use a combination of a lot these methods.
One thing we do different in our area, because of available cover, is still hunting standing corn. This involves walking across rows of a standing corn field, and "peeking" into the next row. There seems to be something about standing corn that makes whitetails think they're invisible. I have walked up on quite a few this way. The first time a buddy of mine told me about this, I thought he was yanking my chain, but it just so happened that an area I was hunting that year had a field still standing, so I tried it. It was a good thing there wasn't anyone around with a video camera at the time, because what transpired could have won the grand prize on America's funniest Videos. I was stepping and peeking my way across about 40acres of corn when I damn near stepped on a snoozing doe, she scared me as much as I did her (at least), I jumped into the next row of corn to avoid her at the same time, she doubled back and nearly ran over me. It looked like the keystone cops for a few seconds. It is a method that works however, if you have standing fields in your area.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've killed about 60 of 65 deer in Virginia since about 1980 still hunting. Amost all from a tree stand. I scout the places well and find a good spot where I can expect deer and retrieve one without killing myself with the drag. I use grunts, cover scents and attractants. I've learned to be very careful with scent over the years by keeping records in my computer of the conditions for each kill. I've only killed about 5 deer that were down wind of me. Two of these were last year after I bought one of those Scentlock jackets. I almost never shoot off hand. My tree stands all have comfort rests that allow me to easily brace my shots. Because of this I almost never miss, rarely have to track one much and very rarely wound one I can't find. Most shots are under 125 yrd.s in the woods but I have taken shots of as much as 325 yrd.s by shooting across a hollow or putting my stand 10-15 yrds back from the edge of the woods and hunting the deer trails that always run around corn or soybean fields. This location also allow you to hunt the fields themselves. It's always better than picking a tree right on the edge of the field. I've taken shots of as much as 340 yards from the loft of a farm building when the lack of trees, wind direction or the size of the field doesn't make a tree stand an option. I like almost everything about hunting from a tree stand.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
holzauge:

You ain't still huntin' - You is stump sittin'.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've killed about 60 of 65 deer in Virginia since about 1980 still hunting.
I rest my case.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still hunting to me means moving very slow while hunting. Stand hunting means staying in one place to me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things I have found still hunting in the UK

You have to modify the approach to the conditions

A face veil probably increases success by 50%

Your back should hurt for all the looking UNDER cover you do

Cammo and scent are not necessary but avoiding skyline/downwind is.

It helps if you are not so afraid of failing that you can't experiment or do something bold. As an example I managed to stalk within 2yards (two honest) of an out of season doe this afternoon, I took a few risks and had a bit of luck. I'll post the photo if I can.

Our deer are more used to humans but end of the day put time in stalk slowly and upwind and success follows.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote