Find
Notify
Tools

WY Antelope Outfitter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello-

I should have 3 or 4 antelope preference points next year and would like to cash in on them. Anyone you would like to suggest? I’m looking for a decent antelope for the wall (I’ve never had an antelope tag before) and that’s my main objective, but I wouldn’t mind shooting a few does for meat, as well. Let me know who you’ve used before and I’d like to check them out. Thanks, everyone and have a great New Year!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you don't plan on killing a bunch
of does and a nice buck all in one
trip.

Think you'd better study the Wyo regs.
Last I looked at 'em, limit was ONE
goat.

Most of Wyo is public lands
wide open for hunting. Pr goats are
easy once you get the tag and get in the
right area. Not much reason to hire an
outfitter unless you just want to open your
wallet. My opinion.

Wish you the best of luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3-4 points won’t get you a good pronghorn unit. You would need at least 10 to draw the Red Desert! I’m sure you will find plenty of outfitters who can get you a 13-14 incher!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure would be nice if only people that know how a state works would respond because both of these members are way off on their responses! First off, 3 or 4 PPs will get you into some good units where you have close to a 100% chance of taking a good representative buck or better just on a DIY hunt. The units mentioned that take a ton of PPs are the premo units that take 10 or more years to draw and you didn't say you were looking for that type of a unit. Furthermore, Wyoming allows you to apply for and take a second buck if there are tags left after the draws and there are in a number of units, but mostly ones with predominantly private ranches. A person can also apply in the initial draw for one or two doe tags that are in a separate draw from the buck tags. They can be for the same or separate units. After the draws are completed for does a person can buy two more tags in units with leftover tags, so essentially if a guy has the money and time he can go to Wyoming and kill 6 antelope in a calendar year and it's been that way for many years. I drew and killed two does this year, have hunted in Wyoming since the early 90s, and this was my 20th straight year chasing antelope, deer, and/or elk out there. Since retiring a number of years ago and having a few good friends and best buddy out there I now go out all of September and October every year. You also really don't need an outfitter to have a good hunt out there, but if you have the money to spend I would go with SnS Outfitters out of Casper. It's the biggest antelope outfitter in the country and biggest outfitter for all game in Wyoming. They'll treat you right and take you to one of many private ranches they lease to kill a good goat. Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun is right on but he has way more info and experience than me. I've been hunting out there since 92. The eastern part of the state is mostly private and much of it can be drawn with 0 points the trick is getting access. The only thing I can really add over Topgun is if you are looking for good table fare try to hunt an area that has a lot of grassland for the antelope rather than sage. My favorite meat for sure.

Good luck.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
antelope move just like the animals in Africa.
pretty much any unit is a good unit if you walk more than 50 yds off a road.

red desert is okay, I'd rather hunt the other side of I-80 though.
any place south of Wamsutter [which is east of the red desert] is good.
north of there is fine too and a lot more room to cover.
north of rock springs/green river has some big bucks too, I have seen and measured some up to 19's taken with a bow.
finding a good Antelope is just time and effort.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DIY is a pretty easy option. If you still want guided, try Tyler Sims, http://tylersims.com/.

He has some ranches that take a couple of points, and they produce better bucks than most outfitted ranch hunts, IMO.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun is correct. First of all to answer your question, SnS is a good outfit. Here is a report from this year:
https://www.africahunting.com/...2/page-2#post-488829
He is correct on being able to take legally up to 6 in some units. They are excellent table fare IF and only IF they are taken care of properly. They need to be field dressed and cooled as soon as possible for best flavor. Most of the seasons are set such that they are just finishing the rut and tend to smell. Need to get the hide off and cooled ASAP. The does are excellent when taken care of. Good luck and have fun.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We carry bags of ice for the coolers anyway, and stuff the goat with one or two on the spot.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote