New
Find
Notify
Tools

elk meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the usable parts of an elk for meat. Obviously the shoulders, hams, straps and loins. What about skirt steak, neck and ribs. The neck seams like it would have a lot of hamburger meat on it. Thanks.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You pretty well nailed it. Either use the "scraps" you named for hamburger, or made into sausage.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Elk meat is so good they should be extinct!!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had some elk meatballs for our Superbowl party. They should be declared illegal as a controled substance.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I thought deer was the best, Now that I'm older and wiser Elk is number one and Antelope is number 2, deer goes into sausage>

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I've noticed with elk meat is that there's usually so much of it you get tired of eating it after a while.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only taken one elk, and it was an older satellite bull. None the less, with the exception of being a bit "chewy" due to age, it is by far the best wild game I have ever eaten. Virtually every muscle on the animal was big enough to cut into steaks...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you eat the neck if your starving or is actually a good piece of meat?

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any meat you don't save is meat you'll regret discarding when the rest is gone.

Not speaking from elk here, Just deer meat is something I feel that way about.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
The only problem I've noticed with elk meat is that there's usually so much of it you get tired of eating it after a while.

Pretty sure some gents here can help out against a reoccurance. Big Grin

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:

This season I killed one, my 14 year old killed one amd my hunting partner (lives 4 doors down) killed one, we have been eating elk non-stop for 4 months and have gone through about 1/2 of it... gotta say.... I ain't tired of it yet!! Big Grin

(It sure makes the whitetail turn into stew meat and ground real fast though.....)

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never tasted beef till I was about 14 years old. My Dad was a park warden and anything that was confiscated from poachers at that time the warden got to keep. (except for a small part for evidence.) All we ate was elk,moose and the occational buffalo. I prefer a good elk over anything. We ussually go through 1-2 per year.

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Leanwolff is right on. I don't waste much at all on any of the game animals. Whatever isn't a steak is sorted into stew meat, jerky, and the rest into burger and sausage. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to Perry's origional question, the only parts that aren't usable as meat, are the parts that aren't meat, bones and hide, etc. Elk is by far my favorite venison.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk is definately the best that I have had and other than the beef that the inlaws cook has been the only meat (other than the Antelope I grind into sausage) for the last two years for my family of 6. I much prefer it to beef since it is richer in flavor without the greasy texture of beef fat. The neck can be boiled and meat cleaned from the bone for the best barbecue meat you could have.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Elk is great, but moose is better. So is antelope.

Both my kids are now of elk hunting age. Four tags..... Hmmm. We're going to need another freezer! Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky enough to have had elk meat for my primary meat for about the last 40 years. I'd rather eat elk hamburger than beef. I've had many a elk steak or roast that was to die for. I do all my own butchering so I know what I'm eating. The more "white" (grisle, fat) that you trim off, the less "wild" taste you will have. My favorite wild meat is bighorn sheep, but sheep tags aren't easy to come by. The moose meat I've had tasted tasted like tough willow bushes. I like all my red meat cooked well on the outside, and rare in the center. Neck meat requires a little extra trimming, but it makes great hamburger.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The backstrap on an elk neck makes for a couple of great roasts. We usually end up cutting them off around the shoulder, then cut the neck seperately. I've seen people save the meat between the ribs, also, but have not done so.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to Perry's origional question, the only parts that aren't usable as meat, are the parts that aren't meat, bones and hide, etc. Elk is by far my favorite venison.

Use those bones in your stews and soups. They add minerals and the marrow breaks down into very tasty soup. Much of the problem with todays' diet is the lack of micronutrients we carnivores used to get when we ate the whole thing and wore the rest when we got tired of chewing.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote