New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Buck Fever
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picture the path of the bullet from muzzle to the exact place you want to hit. If nothing else this takes your mind off of everything else.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to bring a new hunter along this year and from what I have seen it's not the rifles accuracy, it's the hunters aim that counts most.

What suggestions do you have to prevent buck fever?

When I was a kid I used to hold my breath when I saw an animal. This of course does not work for long!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Everytime I have taken a beginner hunting and a shot opportunity arose, the best thing was time but, unfortunately you don't have it.

If they can take a few deep breaths and concentrate on holding the crosshairs steady on the kill zone, they usually calm down. It takes longer for some to calm down than for others. I like to watch the barrel and when shaking has ceased, I tell them to squeeze the trigger.

The Bad thing is most of the time the deer is only there for seconds. I have had better luck if the deer is grazing and not just walking across a shooting lane.

It is hard to do but, I think it is best if they wait for that perfect shot on their first couple of kills. They may have to pass up a few shots but at least you will not have a miss or a bad hit to discourage them in the future.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to take a few beginners hunting and let me tell you it is quite fun. I believe I had buck fever worse than them on some occasions and I didn't even have a gun!

Good Luck, I hope all works out well.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote