THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting a private ranch in unit 12, CO.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting a private ranch in unit 12, CO.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Gents
The invite I got is for a private ranch in unit 12.

What can yall tell me about that area. Sounds beautiful from phone conversations! Are the mule deer large in that area?

Thanks
Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lotta good mulie hunting in Unit 12. Private ranch sounds like paradise.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hunting on a private ranch has many benefits, such as this bull I took in southeastern CO on a private ranch:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Hunting on a private ranch has many benefits, such as this bull I took in southeastern CO on a private ranch:

That is fantastic!

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, it scored about 330 and we ate the meat for two years.
Not bad for a first elk, eh?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted unit 12, Thornburg mountain to be specific, from 1992 until 2013. A son, two grandsons, and several buddies took many Elk and Mule Deer. Elk as big as 300 plus and largest Mule Deer 31 inchs wide with massive beams, easily a Boone & Crockett entry. We hunted half way between Meeker and Craig and always considered it some of the best Elk and Mule Deer country to be found. This was a private ranch we paid a trespass fee to access BLM ground plus we also hunted the ranch itself. Don't know where you are going but our experience was fantastic until the ranch was sold to the Coal Company across the road. Our experience for what it is worth. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:

That is fantastic!

X2! Who were you hunting with?

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I was hunting with the brother of the ranch owner. He was a retired CO elk guide.
It was great sport.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
crshelton, I think he meant what ranch were you hunting on(?)
Nice Bull!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Kudos on my bull; the rack is bolted to the outside brick wall above my courtyard. No room left in the house for anything that big.

If the question was about the ranch, it is east of I25 and south east of Colorado City on a small river that only has water in the wet season. The owner does not live on the property or hunt and lets only a few relatives and friends hunt the place; it is not a hunting operation and has a few houses on it of which only one person hunts; I saw a massive 7x7 he shot in 2010 hunting from the same rimrock I tried back then. Confused

BTW, if you are from southeastern CO, you should recognize the mountain range in background of the picture.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at