THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need a beginner big-game rifle for a child???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a beginner big-game rifle for a child???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Look no further than an .300 BLK (AAC Blackout).

With 100 gr Cutting Edge Bullets .308 flatbase safari raptor and 20.3gr of WW 296…it is a capable rifle to 150 yds (2550 fps). Almost zero recoil.

My son has just killed his 6th whitetail…all one shot kills. He took it to Africa this summer and shot bait for me…zebra and impala…all one shot kills. He has killed a pickup load of hogs.

His is a Ruger American with the youth stock added. Its a 1/2 moa rifle on the bench.

With those bullets…it shoots through everything…even the zebra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37676 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son -- and his dad -- Lane. Is it this the bullet he is shooting?
https://cuttingedgebullets.com...0gr-flat-base-raptor
I recently added a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel to the rack. There is a lot to be said for an accurate, USEFUL rifle that you really enjoy shooting.
First day in OK?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16616 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yes sir Bill that is the bullet.

Pics of game to come later.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37676 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Thanksgiving day present.

I understand not putting your son’s face on AR. However, we need more story/details then this his 6th Whitetail

Posts: 11928 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

~Ann

Posts: 19519 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just let him shoot that 358 STA. Lol

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My kids tell me I am more excited about them shooting game. Then they are.

My grand kids well be hunting soon.

I am looking forward to that.

Posts: 19554 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love it!! Thank you

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Just right! Been thinking about one for my kids. I have a suppressor that would work well for one too

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Absolutely perfect. How far away is his first Cape buffalo or Elk?

Posts: 11928 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
Just let him shoot that 358 STA. Lol

If I know Easters like I think I do, with my 10 pound rifle and 280 grain 2662 fps load. He could do it off a rest. The problem may be holding it up. It really does not kick a lot. Yes, I can make it buck, but even a Cape buffalo would surrender to 280 grains at 2662.

I do have a some 275 grain-2850 fps loads.

It is a very versatile cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know!

I can’t wait to get mine up and running.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told they are not making that rifle any longer .

I have a couple that are full sized. I have been threatening to shoot a doe with one to see what round will do.

Posts: 12091 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys the shot placement on that buck is perfect top of the heart and lower lungs.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Absolutely perfect. How far away is his first Cape buffalo or Elk?

Both upcoming for sure. Gotta work up the gun scale a bit. He could kill an elk just fine with little rifle it the circumstances got just right.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Utterly amazing performance from that little rifle. I've shot zebra with a 375 and not had an exit.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12998 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is the bullet that has a lot to do with the penetration I believe.

And 2550 fps seems about the perfect velocity with it for penetration. Now you hardly get any shock from it. The animals look like they hardly know they have been shot…until they just fall over dead from shredded hearts and/or lungs.

And it is a 150 yd rifle.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Howa youth rifle in 30-06 for my daughter. The youth package comes with a smaller LOP stock and a full sized stock to drop into later. Worked great shooting reduced recoil Hornady rounds, and when she grew out of it, I dropped it into the other stock and made it a great little camp rifle or loaner.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done to you, Lane, and to your dead-eye son!

So many great choices out there for the youth nowadays and you hit on a winning combination, obviously!

Congrats to your son!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and great photos, Lane. Congratulations to you both! Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16616 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!! My boy just inherited my 243. It was setup for a disabled hunter and fits my 13yr old son perfectly. Real tack driver and he loves the zero kick. Congratulations to the young man.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MY sons my daughter, the grand kids, all used my 5 lb. custom Sako L-461 round top 6x45 with 70 gr. Barnes X or 75 gr. GS Customs on whitetail, Coues and Mule deer as well as antelope. All were one shot kills and within 100 yards or less..one exception was my grandson at 12 made a 200 yard shot with my 222 SAko, nice buck, ran 30 yards and piled up..The 222 Rem works well at under 100 yards keeping in mind that recoil is your nemisis with the young hunter to be..It turns them off..

The point being don't make the gun heavy and keep the range short is good advise, I suspect wounding an animal would pretty much create a non hunter..

I see too many daddys buying a big rifle that suits them, as opposed to the child, and with a corocopia of lame reasons. shame

Now, the great grand kids are about to be introduced to the hunt in a couple of years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42127 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looks like it works perfectly! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I always love to see a younger generation gaining interest in hunting. Congrats to your son for the great kill and to you for passing our sport onward.

I'd also agree with you on the 300 BLK. I don't think it CAN be loaded to where there's too much recoil for a smaller shooter. Someone was at my range a few weeks ago with a youngster and one of the new Winchester XPR's in 350 Legend. I'd put that in the same class.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job by the kiddo!

So 300 blackout shoots .308?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 256 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Raising him right Lane! Future fighting Texas Aggie I hope...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7556 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
Nice job by the kiddo!

So 300 blackout shoots .308?

The .300 Blackout shoots .308 caliber projectiles.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Blackout with subsonic loads is often described as a 30/30 in. AR 15.

The bullets are a little lighter than typical 30/30. The AR 15 is easy to shorten or lengthen as a shooter needs or ages. The lighter bullet, gas operation, a less powder all help to reduce recoil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see young hunters learning to put meat in the freezer. My grandson just turned 14 and not interested in hunting or fishing. Worries me a bit since my son and I are hunters. Maybe next year he will change. We will see.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You left out tradition, Texas kids are supposed to use a 94 in 30-30 or 25-35 win. So do Texas grandpa's clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42127 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that preventing flinch from the recoil and/or noise is important.
If the rifle has some recoil, be sure the child wears a coat of other item with thick material at the shoulder.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My original big game rifle has trained my son and several grandsons and a great grandson, a Marlin 336 30-30. Enough gun for Deer sized game with low recoil. One grandson got a Deer at lazered 400 yards, said he held 4 ft. above it to make the shot with a witness to vouch for the shot. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You left out tradition, Texas kids are supposed to use a 94 in 30-30 or 25-35 win. So do Texas grandpa's clap

When I got my first accurate bolt-action. I gave up that tradition…except for shooting hogs with dogs followed horseback.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those little Rugers are slick. Your son is obviously a good shot!

I got my kids a Youth model Weatherby in 7-08 about 10 years ago. The older two have moved up to full size rifles, but my 15 yr old daughter still prefers that little Wby.

Posts: 446 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I worry a little about kids and women being given lower-powered rifles than we would use. Yes, big things can be done with little guns but if we take that logic to its conclusion then we the bigger adults should be even better at it.

Though mass and stock size must be considered, I prefer to give the kids rifles of real power but get/make low-recoil ammo for them to practise with. At hunting time give them full-house ammo and tell them where to aim with it. If the game is exciting enougn, they won't feel any recoil.

Posts: 5069 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I worry a little about kids and women being given lower-powered rifles than we would use.

I am far more worried about scaring and turning off smaller shooters.

Then using a little less effective firearm.

Posts: 19554 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

tu2 tu2

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote