New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 velocities in a short action
 Login/Join

<Kodiakisland>
posted
I have a model 7 I plan to rebarrel to 6.5-284 or 25-284. I want to find out what the actual velocities will be when using 120-125gr(6.5) bullets loaded to an OAL of 2.8inches with a 24in barrel.

I know I would be better off with a long action or a different round or a longer barrel, so please refrain from pointing out the error of my ways. I just want to know some real data from someone who has chambered the 6.5 in a short action and how it effected velocities.

Thanks

<Kodiakisland>
posted
So nobody has a short action 6.5-284?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, the .25-284 I've loaded for is on a full-length action.

However, I think that it is safe to say that whatever a .260 Remington on a short action does with a particular bullet, that the 6.5/284 will add 100 to 150 fps to it in the same short action. Hope this observation helps. (Also, the 120 6.5 bullet, except for the Nosler Ballistic Tip, is not all that long. The short action disadvantage would be much more pronounced with a 140 grain bullet.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Kodiakisland>
posted
The only round I plan to use in the magazine is the 125gr partition. For all other bullets I will load as a single shot. I just want to have a good idea of what velocity the 125NP will give when seated to 2.8in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kodiakisland, you need to conflab with Big Stick - he's as experienced with the .25/284 as any I know of. He posts on several boards, including AR, I believe.

Hey, Stick...you listening???

BigIron

<Big Stick>
posted
There is zero doubt,that he knows I'm sweet on the 25-284.

I believe he's weighing options..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remembered that I did once have a "6.5-.284" so to speak, except that it was a 6.5 Remington Magnum on a Ruger medium action. These two cases are very, very close in capacity and length, so much so that data is virtually interchangeable. You could check the length of the 1970's era Ruger magazine, compare the two case lengths, and get a reasonable estimate of what the rifle you're considering building might do.

This was so many years ago that I don't recall the exact load, but I did use Sierra 120's over Surplus 4831. Out of the Ruger's 22" barrel, I seem to recall a chronographed velocity of about 3100 fps. I'll dig through some of my old records when I get a chance and see if I can find it exactly.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1970's era Ruger M77 flat bolt in .308, which should be the same action they used for the 6.5 & 350 Rem mags.

Magazine length is approx. 2.9 inches; I load .308's to 2.875.

Hope this helps.

BigIron

<BIG GAME RS>
posted
I have a 6.5-284 in rem 600 w/24 in barrel.
I am getting about 3150 fps w/ 120 sierras.
taken 3 deer and 1 boar all 1 shot each.