THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Guys, a moment of your time please - gun control

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guys, a moment of your time please - gun control
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
https://www.standard.co.uk/bus...e-boss-a3707436.html

quote:
US needs greater gun controls, says rifle boss
JIM ARMITAGE
Friday 1 December 2017 12:06
9 comments

The British maker of the most accurate sniper rifle in the world, on Friday called for greater gun controls in the US after the latest series of tragic attacks.

Speaking as he reported rising sales and profits, Tom Irwin, chief executive of Accuracy International, said it was “ridiculous” that you could legally buy devices to turn semi-automatic rifles into automatics, which are illegal in the US. Such devices were used in the Las Vegas shootings.

Asked whether semi-automatics — still capable of firing rapidly — should be legal as well, he said: “Personally, I don’t think so. I can’t see the benefit.”

Irwin said a Trump presidency was better for AI’s business than if Hillary Clinton had won last year’s election. “There was always a risk that she would… ban gun imports,” he said.

Irwin was speaking while reporting pre-tax profit last year jumped from £364,000 to £494,000 on turnover of £13.2 million against £12 million a year earlier. Demand is so high that Irwin said it needs to expand its UK and US facilities.

Accuracy International’s rifles have been used for long-range kills in battle, including a then-world record 2710 yards by Cpl Craig Harrison of the Household Cavalry of two Taliban fighters in 2009. But it relies on the US military and sports markets for nearly a third of its sales. The fast-growing Precision Rifle Series target sport is a big source of its civilian sales.

this chap is talking about expanding facilities in the UK and US to meet demand whilst at the same time calling for more gun control.

This is against a backdrop of the UK government banning 50 cal and "certain fast firing" rifles in the wake of shootings in the US with no parallel in the UK...

Might I ask that you guys vote with your wallets on this one please?

Damn shame as they make a damn fine rifle but with friends like these who needs enemies?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Tom Irwin, chief executive of Accuracy International, said it was “ridiculous” that you could legally buy devices to turn semi-automatic rifles into automatics,

I thought that was the same position the the NRA took on "bump-stocks".

The truth is that there are a lot of American hunters who would like to see universal enforcement of common sense regulations that would make mass shootings more difficult to carry out. Few care to speak-up for fear of the backlash that it brings(see Jim Zumbo).

With the idiots on the other side we can't cede and inch or they will take a mile.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Tom Irwin, chief executive of Accuracy International, said it was “ridiculous” that you could legally buy devices to turn semi-automatic rifles into automatics,

I thought that was the same position the the NRA took on "bump-stocks".

The truth is that there are a lot of American hunters who would like to see universal enforcement of common sense regulations that would make mass shootings more difficult to carry out. Few care to speak-up for fear of the backlash that it brings(see Jim Zumbo).

With the idiots on the other side we can't cede and inch or they will take a mile.

It was more this bit:

quote:
Asked whether semi-automatics — still capable of firing rapidly — should be legal as well, he said: “Personally, I don’t think so. I can’t see the benefit.”

The NRA in the UK told the government the same thing in 1988 after the Hungerford massacre and we lost semi auto centrefire rifles a year later. :/

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The truth is that there are a lot of American hunters who would like to see universal enforcement of common sense regulations .

Taken right out of the Democrats play book.That and "do it for the children!"

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
The truth is that there are a lot of American hunters who would like to see universal enforcement of common sense regulations .

Sure, I think that some sort of mental health testing at the very least might be a good idea.

The gentleman above seems to imply that even then, you have no use for semi automatic firearms.

Is that a position you take?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who determines"mental health"?I am not against semi-auto or legal full auto rifles.You want to stop this crap you need to "GASP" PROFILE.It works very well for Israel.That and building walls to keep illegal gangbangers out of our Country.These are "common sense"ideas that work but The PC crowd does not want to know what actually works.They just want to confiscate firearms from the general population.A guy named"HITLER"did that and it worked very well for him to control the unwashed masses.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Erm.

I see.

Thank you for your consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that's his take, he doesn't understand the US market very well. Semi-autos are used in so many different facets of the sports shooting world than he realizes (or will admit to). Rimfires for hunting/target shooting, larger caliber (think Rem 7400) for hunting, handguns for competition, hunting, and now lets talk shotguns....Yes, you see guys using O/U at sporting clays and upland hunting, but semi-auto shotguns dwarf those by a mile.

Hell, if semi-auto shotguns weren't allowed, Beretta and Benelli would go out of business.

In a nutshell, he's smoking crack and playing to a small audience. There's a hell of lot more to the semi-auto world than an AR-15 style rifle.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, it is very easy for Mr. Irwin to call for control of rapid-fire, semi-automatic rifles because HIS company doesn't make any. I would bet that he would be screaming a different tune if the US introduces the same 50 cal ban here. I would not buy one of his rifles. There are too many good rifle makers here that could do the same thing.

As far as gun control, in general...it is not really gun control the way it is being done here, it is PEOPLE control. The politicians prey on the weakest faction in society, and in this case, that is the law abiding citizens. Gun control means something to the law abiding. It means loss of freedom and capability to defend oneself and others. For the criminal population, gun control means that they gain more power and ability to control a certain territory, since it really means nothing to them that gun control is enacted.

That is always the eternal battle; how to disarm the bad guys (once one determines who those folks are) whilst maintaining freedom for those that deserve it. I fear that with the control the left has on the US, there is less and less that can be done. Before someone says that I exaggerate on the left control, let me provide an question. Are there more freedoms today than when the left was not so far left, and have we gained any of those back with so-called right wing politicians in office?

JFK would be a hard right Republican today. Why the very idea of not asking what the country can do for you! Has anyone repealed the 1968 Gun Control act that was caused by a single person? Heaven forbid! We have only had a few Republican presidents since then. They have no guts.

When they figure out how to remove guns from the wrong element, and define the right element, then I MIGHT be for gun control, but until then, I am for ANY method necessary to defend and guard my family, friends and country.

Sorry for the soap box.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
When I see words such as "reasonable" and "common sense" used in articles involving guns I stop reading.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

I should have said "universally enforce the good gun laws". What I mean is that prosecutors pick and choose when to enforce laws even when laws were clearly broken and a loss of like has resulted. For example: the girlfriend of one of the Columbine shooters purchased all, or nearly all, of the guns used by the shooters. She purchased them because the shooters were underage. She was not charged with a crime. If someone illegally supplies a gun to someone who then uses it to commit a crime there should be severe penalties.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he lost me when he got to the most accurate rifle in the world claim.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the U.S. the AR15 and similar guns are very useful for pig hunting.

On a more serious note, I'll go with our 2nd Amendment and be able to have the same or similar type arm to fight back against tyranny. Our last pretend President came close.

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love how a Britt thinks his opinion should carry any weight in the USA. The sad thought is it might the way the 3o and under crowed seem so willing to surrender their fundamental rights of citizenship on the alter of globalism.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's been semi auto's made for over 100 years. No one seems to mention that fact when they start spouting bullshit about gun control.

He's full of shit first thing by claiming his products are the most accurate. Re: Self proclaimed" don't mean much, does it?

Right on guys, lay it out there for the world to read.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5961 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Please don't try to tell me how I can defend myself and loved ones against a Criminal with a semi-automatic weapon.

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical. The brits have fukked their country up beyond help and are now wanting a go at ours.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No additional gun control laws will ever stop gun crime!

EDUCATION and PUNISHMENT will.

Let us look at this year alone.

How many major crimes have been committed by the use of vehicles?

Did we hear anything about enacting "vehicle control" laws?

Let us see how that goes down.

In the early 80's, I lived in Texas.

I could walk into a gun store, show my drivers license, and buy whatever gun I want.

I did just that, and had many rifles, pistols and shotguns.

Never committed a crime, with a gun or without.

And I bet my own example applies to millions of people.

So why penalize the majority, for the crimes of the minorities?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is also the 3 gun competition in the US where the AR 15 pattern rifle is used. This is a sporting event.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote