Find
Notify
Tools

Well, he's BIG for my area.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I've spent 6 years clearing, planting and improving the habitat on my property and finally.....

I hope I at least get a photo of him in late August to see how he finishes out.

~Ann

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Congrats on all your hard work, hope he turns out nice and invites his friends along.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of how it turns out, that is a mighty fine photo Ann.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good pic Ann. tu2 tu2 His little buddy beside him has some nubs, so he may have some potential if he has the same genetics as the larger buck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Good to see the effort paying off. Well done. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rome was not built in a day ! Hopefully they will just keep getting bigger. Good for you.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Great photo Ann. He looks delicious!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking piece of land!

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

No, I have never taken a deer on my property. Maybe this is the year I do!

~Ann

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice one Ann. Let him grow a few more years!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Nice one Ann. Let him grow a few more years!

Neighbors most likely well shoot him before that happens.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to get an idea of how old ht may be from the way he is standing in my opinion.

Just from what I see I am gonna guess him at 2.5 to 3.5, no older than 4.5.

There does not appear to be any points on the main beams between the brow tines and the tips. It looks like the tip of the left antler may have a crab-claw/small fork to it.

If he is 2.5 or older and that is all the antler he has I would say he needs to be culled, jmo.

It is still good to see that whatever you are doing is having an effect Ann. tu2

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The deer herd is very low in this part of Vermont. Poor soils, almost no agriculture, poaching, massive snow depths in winter and same age forests full of ferns.

Except on my property!

Anyway, that's why I have never bothered to hunt whitetails here. I always go to western NYS and shoot the first legal buck I see.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patience is all it takes, congrats.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I know/have known lots of folks that do that. It is really a odd event for them to shoot a deer on the property around their home.

They will go to a spot 100 miles away to hunt but won't shootthe ones they have been feeding and watching. Nothing wrong with that at all beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, in my case he probably won't be around come hunting season. I really wish we had an earlier hunt. The deer move to yarding areas down the mountain by end of September. I'll certainly bow hunt but I've never seen a deer or fresh spoor here even in October. Did have a bull moose come through though (middle of the night).

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, Ann. I've had 15-20 deer of all sorts browsing in my "front" yard and never shot a one. And some of them were dandies.
However, put the same deer 1/4 mile up the hollow, and it was a different story. Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote