THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    UPDATE:Guilty plea and sentencing cable hunting show host
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE:Guilty plea and sentencing cable hunting show host
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.pekintimes.com/news...l-hunting-violations

Former cable hunting show host accused of federal hunting violations

By Andy Kravetz
of the Journal Star

Posted Nov 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM
Updated Nov 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM

PEORIA — An East Peoria man and host of a cable TV hunting show was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury for allegedly killing more deer than he was legally allowed.

The indictment against Christopher Brackett, 41, alleges that in 2013, he engaged in illegal hunting by killing two bucks in Indiana and then brought them back to Illinois. At the time, Indiana allowed hunters to kill one antlered deer per season.

Brackett, whose program, “Fear No Evil,” aired on the Outdoor Channel, allegedly filmed a hunt in December 2013 in the Hoosier State for an episode of his show that featured him killing an 11-point deer that he nicknamed the “Unicorn Buck.” But on that same day, the indictment alleges, he shot and killed a smaller, eight-point deer, which was the illegal act. The so-called “Unicorn Buck” was registered with the state of Indiana under his license, and he transported it to Illinois. But the other deer, the indictment alleges, wasn’t registered and was not included in the edited footage of the show.

A day later, on Dec. 22, 2013, the indictment alleges, Brackett purchased a second non-resident deer muzzleloader permit under his cameraman’s name and then registered the smaller buck with the permit purchased in the cameraman’s name.

A date for Brackett to appear in court has not yet been set. If convicted of conspiring to violate the Lacey Act, he faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Andy Kravetz can be reached at 686-3283 or akravetz@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @andykravetz.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9394 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.justice.gov/usao-c...harges-poaching-deer

U.S. Attorneys » Central District of Illinois » News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Central District of Illinois
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Former Cable Show Hunter Indicted on Charges of Poaching Deer

PEORIA, Ill. – A grand jury today indicted an East Peoria, Ill., man, who self-produced and starred in his own cable hunting show, on charges that he illegally killed more deer than permitted in Indiana. The indictment against Christopher Brackett, 41, whose program, “Fear No Evil,” aired on the Outdoor Channel, alleges that Brackett engaged in illegal hunting in 2013 by shooting and killing two bucks in Indiana and transporting one buck to Illinois. At the time of the alleged offenses, Indiana law allowed hunters with the appropriate permit to kill one antlered deer per season.

According to the indictment, Brackett filmed a hunt in December 2013 in southern Indiana for an episode of his show that featured him killing an 11-point deer which he nicknamed the “Unicorn Buck.” The indictment alleges that on Dec. 21, 2013, Brackett first shot and killed a smaller, eight-point buck before he shot the larger, 11-point buck. Brackett allegedly registered the “Unicorn Buck” with the state of Indiana under his license and transported it to Illinois. The “Unicorn Buck,” episode aired on the Outdoor Channel in the fall of 2014 with edited footage that did not show Brackett killing the first, smaller buck.

On Dec. 22, 2013, the day after both deer were shot, the indictment alleges Brackett purchased a second non-resident deer muzzleloader permit under his cameraman’s name and then registered the first, smaller buck with the permit purchased in the cameraman’s name.

The U.S. District Clerk of the Court will schedule the date for Brackett to appear for arraignment in federal court in Peoria, Ill.

If convicted, as charged, the statutory maximum penalty for each offense, conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act (count one) and a violation of the Lacey Act (count two), is up to five years in prison and fines of up to $250,000. Both offenses, as charged, are felony offenses.

The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Katherine Legge in the prosecution. The charges were investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service with the assistance of both the Illinois and Indiana Departments of Natural Resources.

Members of the public are reminded that an indictment is merely an accusation; the defendant is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9394 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of his, but do not think this should be a Federal offense.

The State of Indiana should be the jurisdiction that is of concern. The Asst. Attorney General should have more important matters than one deer killed over. Most, murders are not Federal Offenses. Then it is not the killing per se, but some civil right issue that makes it a Federal offense.

The Federal Government does not even prosecute most bank robberies anymore leaving it to the State where the bank is located. That was the catalyst for the FBI being created.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The feds often get involved when a crime goes from intrastate to interstate. If this clown is guilty, I hope they throw the proverbial book at him. I have about as much use for poachers as I do wildfire looters. None.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16485 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the inter estate argument, but you realize the Feds have jurisdiction over every bank robbery in the Nation at least Federal Insured Banks. They do not investigate or prosecute 90 percent of them . That number is not made up. That is because 4,000 dollars from United Cumberland Bank is too small fries for the Federal Government. The Feds have jurisdiction, but leave it to the States to prosecute under state law.

Indiana is more than capable. I want my Feds takeing down serious interstate drug smugglers, human traffickers, terrorist, and kidnappings (Federal preview since the Lenburgh case).

I do not want them wasting time, money, and staff on one extra deer. Let Indiana have him. If Indiana does not care. I do not.

It is not that I think he should not be prosecuted. I object to the Federal Government doing it. There are more important uses of Federal resources. Let Indiana have him.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Seems like overkill to me too no pun intended.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4734 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I like to see is gun violations: Usually multiple felon's caught again. Local DA don't sentence them, yr or two at most and usually only for the drug, or crime and drop the gun charges.

Those I feel should be sent to the Feds for the Mandatory 10 years per gun charge. say: ten guns and caught dealing big time drugs. the fed charges would rack 'em up to 100 years.
Lock 'em up like that, that's what those mandatory sentences are there for. A hundred sent up like that might get the messages out not to use guns in their crimes.

I agree on one deer charge, let the offended state prosecute him.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Interstate crime IS a federal offense in this case the Lacey act and poaching should always be prosecuted, period.

Sometimes a few of you folks really surprise me on how much poaching doesn't seem to bother you. Maybe if somebody did it on your place that would be ok?

This guy has always been pretty flaky so no surprise he shot a second deer because the first wasn't big enough for his tv show. Just another idiot that makes us all look bad.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2798 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is that some states have statute of limitations and the Lacey Act doesn’t. If the statute of limitations is up in Indiana the feds can still go after him.

Personally, I’m glad we have the Lacy Act and I hope they make an example out of him. He knew exactly what he was doing, he made a conscience decision to do it and then he left the state with an illegally killed buck and he did it to make himself look better for a TV show. F this guy! This case is exactly why we have the Lacey Act. Had he made better decisions he wouldn’t be in this position

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Interstate crime IS a federal offense in this case the Lacey act and poaching should always be prosecuted, period.

Sometimes a few of you folks really surprise me on how much poaching doesn't seem to bother you. Maybe if somebody did it on your place that would be ok?

This guy has always been pretty flaky so no surprise he shot a second deer because the first wasn't big enough for his tv show. Just another idiot that makes us all look bad.

The first deer was bigger...that's not why he did it.
I do believe it could have also been a mistake that he later realized? Did he think he was allowed two bucks and when he realized he wasn't he then went to buy a tag for his camera guy? For example, does his home state or other places he frequents allow two bucks?
For those who say it doesn't matter you must know the rules....well game rules are more complex than ever and intent has a LOT to do with prosecution of such a thing

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

I do believe it could have also been a mistake that he later realized? Did he think he was allowed two bucks and when he realized he wasn't he then went to buy a tag for his camera guy? For example, does his home state or other places he frequents allow two bucks?
For those who say it doesn't matter you must know the rules....well game rules are more complex than ever and intent has a LOT to do with prosecution of such a thing

The first deer was a deer he was told NOT to kill, he killed the second deer minutes later and only had one tag in his pocket. He’s a poacher plain and simple

https://www.outdoorhub.com/new...d-two-bucks-indiana/

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the allegation is true, probably is, then he is a poacher.

Simply do not believe the Feds should be using time and resources for one deer overshot license. When I professionally know what all they should do and do not because of a lack of resources.

If the Feds did all they were statutorily mandates to do, I would be more agreeable to the use of Federal law enforcement in this instance. They do not. Often withdrawing from core enforcement mandates.

This is not a multi state poaching black market ring. It is one over shot deer. Let the state handle it. Yeah, if Indiana does not care why should I miles away.

Most states felonies have no statute of limitations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Another thing to consider is that some states have statute of limitations and the Lacey Act doesn’t. If the statute of limitations is up in Indiana the feds can still go after him.

Personally, I’m glad we have the Lacy Act and I hope they make an example out of him. He knew exactly what he was doing, he made a conscience decision to do it and then he left the state with an illegally killed buck and he did it to make himself look better for a TV show. F this guy! This case is exactly why we have the Lacey Act. Had he made better decisions he wouldn’t be in this position

Well said. If I remember correctly, his cameraman turned him and provided video footage of the incident.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
If the allegation is true, probably is, then he is a poacher.

Simply do not believe the Feds should be using time and resources for one deer overshot license. When I professionally know what all they should do and do not because of a lack of resources.

If the Feds did all they were statutorily mandates to do, I would be more agreeable to the use of Federal law enforcement in this instance. They do not. Often withdrawing from core enforcement mandates.

This is not a multi state poaching black market ring. It is one over shot deer. Let the state handle it. Yeah, if Indiana does not care why should I miles away.

Most states felonies have no statute of limitations.

I don’t believe it was a felony until it crossed a state boundary. The Lacey Act is there for a reason and once it crossed a state line it was a federal issue

I know of another case in a different state where the statute of limitations had run out by a few months but because the deer was shipped to another state it became federal. If you cannot understand or appreciate the need for this type of law I don’t know what to tell you. The fact that this case was so public and was recorded for all to see leaves the feds little choice in my opinion. Imagine if they let this slide, it would set a bad precedent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any state legislature can make illegally taking or tagging game a felony.

They do not bc for better or worse most folks do not think illegal killing of one deer should be a felony.

I think it should. But if the state where it happened does not care to make it a felony, I do not need the feds getting involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the part I'm seeing wrong here is he shot the deer without a tag [poaching]
then bought a tag for his camera man.
[attempting to cover things up and forcing the camera man in as an accomplice]
all of this took place on someone's pay to shoot lodge I'm assuming.
the camera man is the one that turned him in.

all of which tells me the guy is an overbearing jerk.
this might not be the first time he has pulled a stunt like this.
it just happens to be the one time they got him nailed to the door.

Posts: 4986 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar: You beat me to that thought. The Feds could be involving themselves because the states (Indiana and Illinois) suspect but could never prove he is a multiple violator.

If that is the case, then I agree with Federal intervention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About once a year I read of another hunting "celebrity" that has violated game laws of one state or another and tries to cover it up.

Are they greedy or under pressure to make an episode?

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

The first deer was a deer he was told NOT to kill, he killed the second deer minutes later and only had one tag in his pocket. He’s a poacher plain and simple

https://www.outdoorhub.com/new...d-two-bucks-indiana/

I see...I didn't know that part of it... Indiana has these bonus deer zones or whatever they call the, where you can take extra animals. I thought there could have been some misunderstanding (there still may have be but not likely...especially if his cameraman turned him in...which still makes him an asshole in my book)

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Isn't this old news?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Isn't this old news?

He was just indicted by a grand jury on Thursday

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I really HATE cheaters.

~Ann

Posts: 19186 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Me thinks the issue revolves around the fact that the man is a "Celebrity" and possibly/probably this was not a "First Time" scenario.

The Lacey Act is in place for a reason and needs to be enforced, also would this case have gained this noteriety had it just been some average citizen pulling the exact same stunt?

Me thinks this has more to do with the Who did it then What what was did! JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember the details but I seem to recall this guy having some major drama on Facebook over this issue. It was brutal as I recall.

Posts: 12005 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is kind of what happens when you turn an almost obsessive hobby into your source of income... bad behaviors and legal crap follows.

As much as I would like to be paid to hunt, I think it would ruin it for me.

Frankly, a federal felony over a whitetail seems a bit much, but I doubt one could write it so that it was more appropriate. Strange thing is a rich hunter will probably get a harsher sentence for poaching than most get for a serious assault, and some murderers serve less than a year...

Posts: 10729 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree i have always been and always be extremely anti-poaching, but this level of prosecution is absurd. Let the state handle it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4734 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to swallow a poacher whom kills a single deer over the limit drives to another state to register it should get a stiffer sentence that a crack dealer, an illegal immigrant employer or priest whom rapes little boys.
Poaching should be prosecuted but let us keep the crime in perspective. Bracketts brash personality was over the top for my taste.
I spent several years filming and producing my own show DOC OUTDOORS, an can attest to some of the antics that took place in the early days of the industry they still occur today but on a smaller scale;why, because there is too much $ at stake for sponsors an advertisers. Outdoor shows work differently than most others as with little or no money up front you must produce 18-20 episodes of approx. 22 minutes THEN try do sell them to the sponsors. Only after you "make it" will sponsors front you the trips and cash. Some guys succumb to the pressure and cheat but not to the degree most seem to think.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
The deer were shot in Indiana and transported to Illinois. There are Indiana state violations and federal Lacey Act violations, but no Illinois state violations. Indiana would ideally file state charges and have an open warrant for him indefinitely. Extradition from Illinois for such charges would be unlikely. The easiest way to get him to return to Indiana is to charge him federally, get him into Indiana to appear on federal charges and then charge him with the state violations. From there, a plea to either the federal, state or both set of charges would likely result.

Without federal charges, he could simply avoid Indiana for the rest of his life and never have to face the judge.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
The deer were shot in Indiana and transported to Illinois. There are Indiana state violations and federal Lacey Act violations, but no Illinois state violations. Indiana would ideally file state charges and have an open warrant for him indefinitely. Extradition from Illinois for such charges would be unlikely. The easiest way to get him to return to Indiana is to charge him federally, get him into Indiana to appear on federal charges and then charge him with the state violations. From there, a plea to either the federal, state or both set of charges would likely result.

Without federal charges, he could simply avoid Indiana for the rest of his life and never have to face the judge.

Thank you. Finally someone who gets the reason for federal charges under the Lacey act. Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2798 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you send your lawyer

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by erict:

Thank you. Finally someone who gets the reason for federal charges under the Lacey act. Roll Eyes

I get the reason. Indiana could issue a warrant, and if he was pulled over in Illinois for speeding he would be flagged, arrested, and sent back to Indiana.

The Lacey Act was not meant for one over shot deer on a license,.

The Asst. Attorney General in Illinois should have enough on his plate mediating the drug cartel fuled genoicde and white collar crime in Chicago than one deer over shot on a license.

You realize if he robbed a bank in Indiana the Feds would not get involved. They would let Indian and Illinois handle it citing lack of resources. This lack of Federal enforce happens every day across the country.

Illinois would extricate him back to Indiana. I have no doubt about it. In Ky and if a Felony charge the Commonwealth Attorney could issue a Governor’s Warrant that would be enforceable by the second jurisdiction (Illinois) that would cause him to be brought back to KY upon arrest for upon the Governor’s Warrant. He would not have to have committed any violation to be arrested. Illinois would be enforce the Governor’s Warrant.This assumes the second jurisdiction honors the Governor’s Warrant. I do not know if Indiana has this procedure.

If a misdemeanor, in KY, one would have to wait until Illinois had probably cause to stop him for some other violation committed in Illinois like not wearing a seatbelt, and then an extradition hearing would be held on the misdemeanor warrant from KY.

If the states believe he is a multiple offender, and keeps skirting by and asked for Federal Intervention, then I have no qualms. But just one over shot deer is simply a waste of my tax dollars, and feels more like politically theater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why have any laws if they are not going to be enforced or only enforced selcetively?

Ask yourselves this question, Would this item even have made it on this forum had the person involved just been an ordinary citizen?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with those who are pro Federal intervention.

I disagree with the application of Federal Jurisdiction under the facts of this case as we know them.

That does not mean I think anyone in opposition to my position are uneducated, dumb, too trusting, or whatever negative adjective one can come up with.

I believe all here to be of integrity and dedication hunter-conservationists.

Let the market place of ideas be engaged. I have been in the minority before.

The best, most simple answer is, do not shoot more deer than your liscenses allowes. Maybe if a guest or client on a property do not shoot deer smaller than the host/landowner wants shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ask yourselves this question, Would this item even have made it on this forum had the person involved just been an ordinary citizen?

Every thing you stated in your last response LHeym, I agree with, but my question that I copied above remains the same.

Would this incident have made the headlines and stirred up the controversey it has, had the person have been an ordinary citizen, would this have made the headlines?

I can't help but believe it is a case of Who committed the violation and their position in society, not really the violation.

As a Celebrity, who really knows how many other stunts he has perpetrated?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry Crazyhorse. I am losing something through none face to face communication.

I did not realize the question was directed at me.

My opinion is if this man had not been a hunting celebrity, or part of the hunting industry, he would not have made this fourm. I also do not think he would be indicted by a Federal Grand Jury.

I am glad the camera man turned him in. I want him prosecuted. I just do not think Federal Enforcement is warranted given the facts as we know them.

If Indiana and Illinois believe him to be a multi-violator that keeps skirting by, and requested Federal Intertervention, then I am all for it. I think that must be the case because i do not see I do not see the Asst. AG’s office getting involved otherwise.

I had a client, an elderly man, whose adult son stole his identity and engaged in interestate activity in violation of Federa Acts. I did all the leg work for the Asst. AG’s office who told me let KY handle it. That was before my stint as an asst. prosecutor.

I have seen bank robberies after the Commonwealth apprehend the bastard offer them up to the Feds only to be told we have better things to do.

The State and Fed are separate sovereigns. This means if the State Statute and Federal Statute are identical, one can still be prosecuted separately and independently by either (state or Fed) jurisdiction regardless of the outcome in either court.

The way it often works is, once the State apprehends the person, if the Feds want him/her they take the person. And they are prosecuted at Fed. Level. If the Fed does not want the person the stage handles it. If they really do not like you and you are notorious (Whitey Ford like). You get doubled up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem, but that was what I was trying to point out, was that had this been some privater citizen we would not have seen anything about it.

The only point where I differ with your assessment of the situation is that I feel they should make an example of him and publicize it all too hell.

I view that as being a detterent to others that may have or would pull a similar stunt.

Just a difference of opinion on the issue.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
My bet is that he will get out of getting a felony. One thing for sure is that his career is over and sponsors will not touch him. He younseen the video of him cussing out his camera man! They took that footage off of the internet due copy right laws.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
This is a modern day version of exactly why the Lacey Act was written over 100 years ago. Transporting poached game across state lines. They have added to it over the years, like the Gibson or Fender guitar company incident. If you do a Google search you’ll see lots of convictions of Lacey Act violations that just don’t make as much news because they are lower profile cases.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the intent of the Lacey Act was to stop market hunting.

I am willing to be wrong about this. Please, if anyone wants to correct me on this, do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It most probably was intended to stop market hunting, but in reality is it a bad thing to have such laws in place as a detterent to illegal activities?

By making a Public example of what this person did, think of how many others are going to think twice before doing something that has the potential of putting them in the same situation.

What about the Wildlife Violators Compact? Should someone lose the ability to hunt in their home state due to a violation they committed half way across the country?

Not meaning to take this off the tracks, but would America be in the shape it is today if our existing immigration rules had merely been enforced as written?

The guy may have made a mistake with what he did, but from the article it seems that it was a Deliberate mistake and was trying to get some one else to share the "Mistake".

The additional problem is that this most likely was not a "One Time" action.