New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad Sheep Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone hunted the area South of Marfa Texas for Aoudad? We will be there next month and I was wondering if the numbers of sheep were good and what the land is like.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's an excellent area for Aoudad.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hunting the Chinati mnts? Is a great area, I was there last year

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
Did you book a hunt with an outfitter, or are you doing a self guided public land hunt?

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Chinatis south of Marfa with a buddy a few years back. Great aoudad there! We were guided by Bubba Glosson. Outstanding experience and highly recommended! The best poor man's sheep hunt anywhere!

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
We will be hunting with Jigsaw Outfitters and the area is South of Shafter 12 miles from the border. There are supposed to be lots of sheep.
I have finally recovered from surgery and am anxious to hunt. Thanks for the info and I'll post pictures upon our return.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are good aoudad numbers in that region.

Be prepared for a physically-taxing hunt as the terrain is rough and rugged -- and can be unforgiving as well.

Hopefully the weather won't be as warm as it sometimes can be in Texas. Nonetheless, also keep in mind that rattlers can be active by then, and a snakebite in a remote, mountainous region can be disastrous.

Keep us posted on your hunt -- and don't forget to post pictures!

Best of luck next month... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and I will try to get pictures of the hunt. We are getting the gear ready and checking rifles. It has been a long winter and I am ready for the hunt.I hope the temps aren't in the 90's as I hate to hunt when it's that hot. I talked with our outfitter 2 weeks ago and it was 85.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have returned home from ourAoudad hunt and I am still trying to get rested up from the trip.
The area we hunted was extremely rugged and as tough to hunt as anywhere I have hunted. The cactus and thorns were bad!!! We got our sheep but nothing outstanding. We saw some very very big rams though and I should have gotten a 30 incher but missed the shot at long range.

Hawkeye47