New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spitzer bullets for the .45 Colt?
 Login/Join

<dewman>
posted
Has anyone seen or heard of spitzer-type bullets for the .45 Colt? It should be feasible with bullets in the 300-350 gr. weight.

If shot out of a 24" barrel Winchester Legacy, you could reach velocities around 1,700 fps....
putting it in the .454 Casull class, power-wise.

Assuming one could come up with said bullets, I would think they'd offer pretty good penetration and some pretty hefty energy.....enough to be a fair elk round at 100 yards or so, no?

Any thoughts on the subject?

dewman

<dewman>
posted
Ops.......forgot to mention.....I'd be shooting them "single shot". Wouldn't want all 12 of 'em going bang at once. Might mess up my day!

dewman

<dewman>
posted
Ops.......forgot to mention.....I'd be shooting them "single shot". Wouldn't want all 12 of 'em going bang at once. Might mess up my day!

dewman [Big Grin]

<dewman>
posted
Ops.......forgot to mention.....I'd be shooting them "single shot". Wouldn't want all 10 of 'em going bang at once. Might mess up my day! [Big Grin]

dewman

<Harald>
posted
Ross Seyfried has used the 360 gr Gould type semi-spitzer bullet in the .45 Colt loaded hot (~1300 to 1500 fps) in a handgun. He found that it tended to be unstable on impact and would tumble or swerve. Its unlikely that you will see any significant gains in trajectory flattening over the distances you will be using this weapon at that muzzle velocity and with the most spire pointed bullet available anyhow, so were I in your place I would opt for a good wide flat nose, get the best terminal effect and not sweat the last inch or so of trajectory at 150 yards.

<dewman>
posted
Yeah, Harald.....you are correct.....I just have a very active imagination, and I "wonder" a lot.

dewman [Big Grin]