New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Goat Rifle......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a weatherby ultrawieght in 300 win mag. It weighs 6.75 naked.
The same gun in .270 win wieghs in at 5.75. WILL the pound make a difference, or shoot the .300 I have.
THanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to kill it, go with the .300.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat a 300 Win Mag if you need to shoot far off.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
300 Mag is the ideal Mtn Goat rifle. IMHO

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one will work. Use the one you shoot best. But since you're asking:

I have found a little rifle weight helps when the shots can run long. A really light rifle is prone to moving if you're breathing hard or not completely steady. You seem to be from MD. I'm willing to bet the altitude goats are found in will have you breathing hard. So, if it was me, I'd opt for the bigger gun.

I took my goat with a 7mm Mag. It basically splits the difference between your 2 rifles. It worked well. First shot at a little over 300 yards. Second and final shot at about 20 yards to finish the billy off. Goats are pretty tough. Make sure you use a well made bullet. I used a Nosler Partition and was very satisfied with how it worked.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last one I shot with a 270 win. Take the one you shoot best. Stop worrying about the gun and start getting in altitude shape. Maryland to Mt. Goat is a long way up.

good luck, your going to love it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flags is right. Goats are tough. I use a 7 mag with TSX's.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

Can't comment on other's experience, but on both my goats and all my sheep had no idea I was around. I had plenty of time to catch my breath and set up the shot.

So for my last goat, I brought a small single shot rifle - the lightest one in the bag. Every ounce adds up.

At the end of the day, take the rifle you shoot best. If it's the same, take the lighter one.

Hope you blast a monster.

Best-

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both rifles in the Wby calibers, I always pick up the 300wby.

I feel the extra punch is worth the extra pound.

Good luck on your hunt.

Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rarely hear of hunters taking a goat with one shot.
That in of itself should tell you how tough they are.

Regardless, take a good camera and have great time!

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd pack an extra pound for what you will
gain steppin up to the 300 win.
good luck and show us a picture

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are goats really that tough? I am planning on a hunt in the next couple of years, but this thread makes it sound like I need to pass on the 300 and go up to a 338. What little experience I have with goats is here in utah and I have never heard that a mag is required. I did hunt this year with similar rifles as the original post. The 1 pound is very noticeable, more so than 5 pounds extra in the pack.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my 300WSM to take my mtn. goat this past Oct. My handload consosted of 180 gr. Accubond atop 65.5 gr. of IMR 4831 at 3000 fps @ muzzle. I suggest the 300 Win. mag. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are contemplating buying the 270 if you can get away with it? If you have the money buy it. I have a couple 9 lug ULWs and a 6 lug in 240. If I know I am walking and climbing alot it's the 240 every time. A good bullet well placed from the 270 will be fine and trajectories to 350yrds with a 130TSX or a 165TSX will be very similar - wound channels too. I have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 on my 240 and it feels like a toy. It also seems to stay put better if I put it on a pack as well. Good luck.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote