THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Just back from .45/70 Bull Bison Hunt in Montana!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from .45/70 Bull Bison Hunt in Montana!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
We just returned from a trophy bull bison hunt in Montana booked with Arnoud Outfitters through Keith Atcheson of Jack Atcheson and Sons Hunting Consultants in Butte, MT. My wife and I had a great time and recommend the experience to anyone who wants a bison trophy and lots of great meat.

The hunt took place on Ted Turner's, Flying D Ranch outside of Bozeman, MT. I shot an 1800 pound bull with my Marlin 1895 .45/70 using the Garrett Hammerhead 530 grain hard cast, solid lead bullets at 1650 fps. The first shot was just behind the shoulder at about 150 yards; the bullet passed between two ribs entering and blasted through a rib on the way out the other side.

That shot would have been sufficient, but I shot him again in front of the shoulder where the bullet would encounter more resistance with bone, thicker hide and heavy muscle. Surprisingly, this shot did not exit, the bullet apparently remained in the off-side shoulder of the bull. I asked the meat processor to try to find it and send it to me along with the meat.

They offer trophy bulls for $1500 and cows and yearlings for lower prices. My cousin shot a yearling bull that weighed around 700 pounds for $600. Around 50 buffalo were in a several hundred acre alfalfa field. We drove to within 100 yards and looked them over with binoculars while deciding which one to shoot. Once we had picked a bull, we stepped out of the truck, set up shooting sticks and took the shot. It is not a fair-chase hunt, but it is an interesting experience.

I'm having a skull mount done with the head, and the entire hide is being tanned to use a bedspread. The hide from a big bull can measure 40-50 square feet! The meat is being processed into steaks, roasts, sausage, salami, pepperoni, bisonburger and jerky. It should yield 600-700 pounds of meat.

I'm heading out again tomorrow for two weeks of pheasant hunting in North Dakota, but I'll post some photos of the bison when I get back.

Give Keith a call and go shoot your winter meat supply!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Now don't get wrong....
But for $1500 they could at least make it look like a hunt. I'm sure there are ranchers out here that would let you blast one of his angus' for a fee with what ever caliber that you thought best, but is this hunting? Guy up the road from me has some pretty big pigs. Wonder if he would let me hunt them in their pigpen for a fee? Many pounds of pork chops, bacon etc. Not trying to be an a$$ hole but...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Good for you. I am sure that you will enjoy some really good meat and, from what I here up in that area, you helped a rancher out.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Turner should have some of his beloved wolves on his buffalo ranch [Big Grin]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
over.40
you crack me up.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know the cost of the mount and tanning.

Call it hunting or not, I would rather shoot my own food. Many a times growing up, I wanted to shoot most if not all of my Dad's cows.

Posts: 49 | Location: Jeanerette, LA | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
It's a "shoot" not a "hunt" but Mark made that clear in his post. Actually, the 19th century buffalo hunters were doing "shoots" more than "hunts."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan....glad you weren't trying to be an a$$-hole 'cuz I bet the effect would be impressive if you were.

Got a question. You spend $2500+ for a "deer hunt" in Texas....guide drives you out to an elevated stand....you get out.....climb up the ladder to an enclosed, elevated tree-house....adjust the rifle rest, set up your spotting scope, pour some coffee from your thermos and wait for a nice buck to walk up. He does! You use your rangefinder...consult your drop table and make a nice shot....drops in his tracks 'cus you are "da man". Pick up the walkie-talkie and call the guide to pick you and your "trophy" up so you can get back in time to watch the Longhorns on TV.........QUESTION?

Was this a "hunt"?

There weren't any fences! No bait was set out! No one drove the animals your way! What do you say?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Good to hear you have your winter meat put up.
Niki and I went down yesterday and shot a two year old cow bison and the meat looks superb.
Your right. It's not a hunt but rather an opportunity to shoot your own food and pickup an interesting skull, horns and hide. Period. And that's the way it's been represented from the beginning but some people appear to need an adjustment on thier focusing mechanism [Roll Eyes]

Mark, I look forward to outfitting and guiding you and Holly on your mule deer hunt next November. The muley bucks are looking real good!
Have fun on the pheasant hunt in the Dakota's!

[ 10-11-2002, 22:02: Message edited by: Keith Atcheson ]

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
To put it somewhat in perspective, up until a couple years ago people were paying upward of $5000 US for breeding stock (bred heifers and prize bulls).

Even since the price crashed, you would be fairly lucky to find a 2 to 4 year old bull at auction for under $1000 US (I am using the canadian market as a base and roughly converting to USD). $1500 US is not all that uncommon for a decent bull.

I figure that $1500 USD is a pretty good deal for 600+ lbs of buffalo meat. If you just bought the meat you'd likely be paying in that ballpark, and the skull, horns and hide wouldn't come with it.

IMHO that price seems pretty decent all things considered.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with shooting your own food. I am all for taking resonsibility for the death of that which will nourish you.

Let's not confuse this with the unsavory practice of shooting something in a pen, then entering it in the record books and coming up with some BS "hunting story". Big difference.

My 2cents FWIW,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said Canuck! :-)

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good way to collect freezer meat and some interesting mementos. I plan on doing something similar in January except I'm going to presell my animal to someone that wants the meat. I could use it but it's impossibly expensive to ship that much meat into my rural village in interior Alaska. I will basically get the skull and hide for free and get to test a bullet on a tough target. Buffalo robes make great winter blankets in Alaska. I just have to figure out how to tan it cheaply.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Yukon Dleta has a gret idea. I'd love to shoot a bison for the skull and hide(primarily) and don't even care if its a cow. My family shoots so much elk and deer meat each year, however, that I don't really need the buffalo meat. If I could sell the meat for even close to the price of the "hunt", I'd be there in a flash. I may go later this year anyway and just give the meat to other family members. Any ideas on selling the buffalo meat?

Thanks,

Bill

And, yes, this isn't a hunt by any means. An unusual experience, perhaps, but all I really want is a nice buffalo rug. And whether I pull the trigger or the slaughter house does, the bison will still die.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you had a good time. Back when we used to have the bison drawings here in MT a few of my buddies drew tags. One used my .375 H&H and the other used a 7mm mag, what a joke that was! One hundred and forty grain standard bullets at 3100+ fps are NOT buffalo bullets.

Just wait until you get your "bedspread". It will weigh about a hundred pounds! The skull mount will be very nice too.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
trophy bull bison hunt
Mark. You might want to get rid of the word
"hunt".

Actually sounds like a great deal, and I'm sure you are better at killing buffalo then most
meat packing houses. Plus, if they are range fed, you don't have to worry about artifical garbage in their diet.

1500 bucks for 500 or so pounds of meat, plus head, and rug, man, that sound like a great deal.

Do you have to have a huge freezer, or do they hold onto it, and send you bits on demand?

When you think about it, the problem with buffalo surviving is they where an easy target, from long range. Not exactly whitetail deer or cape buffalo, in the brains department...
s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank:
375 H&H worked, didn't it???
[Wink]

"One world, one rifle."

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the local bison ranchers was culling this year and a friend and I got a 4 year old bull for $450 CDN. No head or hide though, just the meat. Still, we thought it was a good deal. I'm going to have to buy another deep freeze, though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan Belisle - Are there still some available at the price or there abouts? I'm just across the line in Montana a-ways, and with the exchange rate, it would be a great deal.
I'd as soon spend my money with friends in Canada. I think Ted Turner has enough cash to get through the winter on.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Ric. I'll ask Gordie when I see him this week and get back to you. - Dan

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mark, thanks for your post. I have no problem with your bison harvest, and hope to do the same thing, perhaps next spring. I had buffalo stroganoff last night for dinner, and had to pay about $6 per pound retail for bison round steak hre in southern Oregon. I recently read "Buffalo for the Broken Heart," which details what a healing role the bison play in the prairie ecosystem. The meat is also wonderfully sweet and low in cholesterol. I say, heal the prairie, heal yourself with a bison harvest.

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the buffalo hunt was fun.

If Garrett's ammo will not exit a broadside shoulder shot on a bison, then it does not look good for lengthwise penetration on cape buffalo.

Just an observation.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grains,

If you check out my "Wood Bison Photos" thread of a couple of weeks ago you will see that none of my three 400 grain .416 Rem Mag bullets exited on braidside shots. Would I hesitate to use them on cape buffalo . . . uh . . . no.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a great deal for the meat alone, and the head & hide are thrown in, to boot!

If anybody would rather buy their buffalo steaks, look here:

http://www.buybuffalomeat.com/

http://www.buffalomeatdirect.com/default.asp

Hint: How about $95 for a 4-pound prime rib.... [Eek!]

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yikes Rick! That's pretty expensive! I've also got meat bison hunts in Nebraska. Go see my post in "Classifieds".

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnthegreek,

If you do not get an exit on a broadside shot on a bison, you will not get stem to stern exits on a cape.

Personally, I doubt I will ever use anything other than solids on cape buffalo. I am fixated on breaking bones and getting exit holes, but that is just my thing.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I agree that exit holes are the hunter's friend. My point is just that it really doesn't matter if you get stem to stern penetration on Buffalo and that lots of perfectly capable Buffalo rounds might not provide it whether it be a .416 or anything else. Why, by the way, is this your criterion for a quality buff round? Hit the vitals and Mbogo is eventually going to be done for the day. Finding a bullet, by the way, that won't exit from a broadside shot on North American Bison which weigh more and carry more weight up front than a cape buffalo is no huge trick. From what I have seen and from personal experience, I think they might be tougher to kill than cape buffalo. Not more dangerous or exciting, just tougher to kill.

I am totally with you on the exclusive use of solids for buffalo, by the way, as long as shot selection is meticulous.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
It sounds like a great deal for the meat

Hint: How about $95 for a 4-pound prime rib.... [Eek!]

Rick.

Considering we were buying four year old cows for $500 last winter, that seems a bit high.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, I sent you an email regarding the bison meat, just wondering if you got it? - Dan