THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ban on Canadian Ruminants (Mad Cow Disease)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ban on Canadian Ruminants (Mad Cow Disease)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone heard anymore about the prohibition on importing the meat of runminants from Canada? If it stays in effect into the hunting season all that moose and caribou meat will have to be left behind. I'm not even sure the game laws there would allow that. Of course, it depends on the Provoncial laws. The trophy can be brought back but the skull has to be boiled and completely fleshed. The cape would have to be fleshed too. This takes a lot of time. Anyone know a good taxidermist in Newfoundland?

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, you are correct. The USDA ban on all Canadian ruminants prohibits importation of even game meat. With the exception of bear meat all provinces prohibit the waste of game. However, almost all provinces participate in a "share the harvest" program. Your outfitter should be able to deliver the meat to a dropoff location.

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, i don`t know a taxidermist in Newfoundland but I know of one of the best in the country and he`s in Ontario. His name is Len Murphy and he owns Pine Ridge Taxidermy,his number is 905-349-2626.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Rich
Make provisions for plan B...
But from what I read,this will be sorted out
before hunting season.So I wouldn't worry too
much just yet.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would expect to see the ban lifted before long .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
according to my outfitter they expect a resolution in the next two to three weeks, however if for some reason they do not lift the ban one option is for outfitters association to have usda inspector test meat for export. this is for quebec/labrador caribou, sounds a bit bit far fetched but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Posts: 13 | Location: ct. usa | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote