New
Find
Notify
Tools

Domestic airlines and guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been some years since I traveled with my guns on a domestic airliner. Have theings gotten bad? Is it too much hassle?

I would appreciate some feedback from people who have actually done it - I got a lot of BS on other sites.

I'm thinking of going from Boston to Tallahassee via Atlanta with two shotguns in an aluminum breakdown case.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had any trouble on domestic flights and this includes flying with a handgun. Make sure you have it in an airline approved locked case and declare it when you check in.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
I have not had any trouble on domestic flights and this includes flying with a handgun. Make sure you have it in an airline approved locked case and declare it when you check in.

+1
and don't use TSA locks.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I'll add that it's a very good idea to have the airline's written policy in hand when you go to check in. I flew an airline recently (forget which) that only allowed one long gun per case. Ridiculous, but foreawarned is forearmed...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some are better than others. I've never had a problem with Alaska Air. Very straight forward and the counter people know what they're doing.

I had a run in with United over a firearm (extra bag charge) and won't fly with them again if I have any choice. It wasn't just that they over charged me, but the BS of trying to get the problem corrected.

Posts: 283 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If you have someone on the other end to receive the guns you could ship them UPS.
This doesn't work with international flights but with a domestic destination it might be the easiest.
And +1 for having the TSA and airline baggage policies printed out and with you. You never know what kind of Bozos you will run into at the ticket counter. Roll Eyes

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems with United, American, Alaska Air and Delta. No experience with any others. It seems if you are pleasant so are they. I would give yourself a few extra minutes to open the case and possibly go to a certain counter that deals with the guns/ oversize luggage. (UNited at O'Hare)

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Pretty uneventful for me as of yet.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
If you have someone on the other end to receive the guns you could ship them UPS.
This doesn't work with international flights but with a domestic destination it might be the easiest.
And +1 for having the TSA and airline baggage policies printed out and with you. You never know what kind of Bozos you will run into at the ticket counter. Roll Eyes

Make sure that you ship them to your own name at the address. Unless you or the receiver is an FFL, you cannot ship modern firearms interstate to another non-licensed person.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
The two worst are Northwest and Delta. EVERY time I flew NWA to Montgomery, AL, they'd lose my luggage, thus delaying my hunt by at least a day. To try to avoid this problem, I flew Delta non-stop to Atlanta and rented a car. Delta lost my luggage on a non-stop flight, and when you call their lost luggage 800#, you get Rajiv in India, whom you can't understand. Try telling some third world telemarketer that there are THREE Midways in Alabama. I now drive 800+ miles one way rather than fly.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1385 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the feedback. Good info. Too late, but I'm flying Delta but will ship my gun to the plantation. They will ship it back to me.

It's a real PITA to get to Tallahassee from Vermont!

Oxon