New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "AR" BISON HUNT PICTURES
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
after shooting one here that is my biggest hunting goal to go on a "real" bison hunt. the pic's are great and it looked like a load of fun.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for sharing a great hunt ! I just cooked a few Buff strip steaks the other day How did you get the bugger back to the ranch ?

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and story! I love the pics/story format.....really helps bring the trip alive. Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Palmer. Nice story to.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Sounds as though you had a great time. The experience you witnessed with the bison "circling the wagons" is very common. It can be down right dangerous if the bison you shot is the matriach of the herd! Her kiddies get down right pissed off when you hurt momma.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the congrats everyone.

ChuckWagon:
The way they got him out was rather high-tec I'm afraid. Nevertheless, it was as organized as a military strike.

They came out in a large tractor with a heated cab and a large fork on the front. They tied some chains around his legs and lifted him up on a big trailer and took him right into the butcher in town - about 6 miles away.

They said they don't gut bison in the field because it could get the meat dirty. The butcher had him skinned and gutted a little more than an hour after the shot. They like to let the bison hang a few days before cutting them up. The butcher charged 60 cents per pound of meat to cut to order and vacuum pak it.

Small Fry:
I use the Swift A-frames in this rifle because it shoots them better than anything else I have tried. Those who have more experience than I think they are acceptable for most large game.

The two finishing shots went through but I couldn't see an exit of the first shot which was from about 200 yds. I asked the butcher to look for the bullet and save it but have not got it back yet.

It was interesting to me that one of the shots that went through must have hit a rib because it went in behind the front leg and came out the back leg. He was broadside at the time. This illustrates the reason why they don't like you to shoot into a group of buffalo. It could easily kill one and wound another even if they are not exactly overlapped.

Old Fart:
I bet Ray would be glad to set up another hunt next year. Ray wanted to come on this one but could not. I think there were several AR members who initially were going to come on this one but did not for some reason. I'd hate to think they chickened out because of the snow and cold - it wouldn't fit my image of AR members.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That just sounds like a awsome hunt. I was just reading about a Bison hunt in Idaho in the Cabela's catalog but MO is soooo much closer to home. If you need a personal chef to run over and cook one of those prime ribs just give me a jingle I'll hitch up the old Chuck Wagon and be right over

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.60 per Lb for skinning, gutting, and meat processing? That is cheap. For that size of critter, I've heard of local butchers charging an arm and a leg for the processing. Man, I wish I had one of them steaks or roasts around. This is getting me hungry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am truly sorry I could not make this years trip, I was having a blast on the surgeons table while you guys hunted buffalo...however I will heal up and hair over in about another week...

I have two places to hunt Bison/elk and both are excellent. One in Idaho near Yellowstone and the other in Nebraska, depending on your location...both are fair chase hunts and the Buff are big and wild....

I would be glad to set up another group hunt in Nebraska for next year but we need to do it now so we can get a good Oct./Nov. date and beat the cold....

If interrested let me know... I will definately be going this time the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise...

The cost is $2750.00 and a 50% deposit of $1375 is required....No refunds, but we do reserve the right of exception on this and may choose to refund under certain circumstances....We can definately postpone your hunt until the following year or the next should bad times fall on you....We are easy to work with..

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Incredible photo's and story, you did a wonderful job!!! Congratulations on a beautiful trophy of a lifetime. I've been wanting to go on a bison hunt for 3 years now. I was in Minneapolis waiting for my connecting flight back to NY after a very successful whitetail hunt in Manitoba when I met this hunter how had just had a succsessful hunt for bison. When he showed me the pictures and told me the story I was hooked. Can't wait to do it myself and thanks for the JOURNEY!!!

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last bison I had processed cost me $0.45 per pound, boned out and vacuum packed. The processing fee is not what bites your wallet, it is shipping 500 pounds of meat and packaging via air!

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well everybody they are fun to hunt, and good eatin too. i shot one in south dakota in 1994 with 191/4 and 191/2 inch horns. don't know if these are big or average--bull was 5 years old. might be interested in another hunt in the future. shot mine in the head, over the left eye at 80 yards. no meat loss.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
So Ray, tell us about the Wyoming place, so that we have some basis for comparison. I am interested in a bison hunt, and have started to seriously look at several options. This may be the way to go. Also, I would vote for a late December or January hunt, as I understand the hide is at its prime then. Besides, I for one like the cold and snow. I wonder whether I could shoot one from cross-country skis.

Dave

Posts: 3831 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excellent presentation Palmer. Congratulations!
Kindly forward a larger picture for the Nickudu Files? Thanks.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Palmer. Is this just a quick fix for Africa? I figured you were starting to really go through withdrawl about now!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You nailed it brother. If I recall, you had to cancel your trip to hunt with Peter Harris last August. You must be about ready for Africa also.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the story, great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am starting to twitch at odd times. The good news is I am planning 3 weeks in Africa this year. The down side is it will be Oct and hot as hell but it beats snow.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote