New
Find
Notify
Tools

Average distance for shots on game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, looking at some of the threads here, I get the impression that I'm in the minority on average shot distance. Hunting here in northern Maine and New Hampshire, my average shot is probably about 30-40 yards. My longest kill on a deer was 140 paces, back when I hunted in more agricultural areas. Fully 20% of all of the deer and bears I've killed were within 10 yards. My hunting style is still-hunting and tracking, which often takes me into some mighty thick stuff.

How about the rest of you... what�s your average shot and your longest?

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot was 500 metres measured by a veichle (I am not bull shitting) it was with a .270 when I was about 18 years of age.

My average shot distance is probaly between 70-yards. On pig shooting trips many shots are 10 or 15 yards.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<IM4RMEF>
posted
My average on Elk is around 100yds with 50-300 being the extremes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say agerage for me is 175. I have had several 250-300 yarders and very few under 100. I don't do well in the woods as i have a split retnia in one eye and depth perseption in the woods is bad. I set up in fields where I know the yardage and watch the woodlines.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
As close as i can get. I owe that much to the animal that i am going to kill.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Average for us is about 80 to 100 yards--some closer, some a little farther away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My longest verified kill was 434 yards measured with a laser rangefinder.I have killed a couple of other animals at over 400 yards and several over 300 yards.I have also killed many animals at 200 yards or less.If I averaged out my shots they would probably come out at about 200 yards.I hunt open farmland or in the mountains and this is the reason for my longer shots.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt the woodlands,and a bullet that finds a vital spot on a deer at 100 yards is a "Gift From God".
My average kill is at 50 yards.
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I read some where,I do not remember where, but it said that 90% of all game shot by hunters are shot at 150 yards or less.If that is the case I guess that I don't need a rifle that shoots out to 400 yards,just a thought, my lever-action should work 90% of the time, Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
A lot of deer hunting in Texas is done where average shots are usually around 100 yds and I would say that was the "norm" for me growing up. Far West Texas, South Texas, and Old Mexico has brought that average closer to 200 yds, as I grew older and started to travel and hunt more and different game. My elk kills have averaged around 150 yds. I have been handloading since 1985 and really started "seriously" practicing and understanding ballistics, and my rifles, during that time. It has only been since the advent of the latest and greatest optics,premium bullets, better powders, custom triggers, and accurizing of all my personal rifles, that I have taken a few head of game past 400 yds. My farthest confirmed kill has been an antelope in West Texas, at 466 yds. I mostly trophy hunt these days, so most of my shots are still 200 yds and less. My family and I still love to eat wild game. I am always trying to make the quickest, most humane kill that I can, everytime that I pull a trigger. I own rifles in 22 LR, 22 Win Mag, 22-250, 25-06AI, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Weath Mag. All have the best scopes that I can afford(leupolds) and all of the centerfire rifles shoot my handloads. I have enjoyed the opportunity to load different bullets for each caliber and test their terminal performance, as well as their accuracy performance. I grew up whitetail hunting with a .243 Husquavarna, and how I wish my Dad hadn't sold that wonderful little rifle. I also used my Dad's trusty 30-06 and watched he and I both take some nice deer with it. The funny thing is, now that I have rifles that can far out-perform their owner/operator, I find myself wanting to get into bowhunting and blackpowder, for the hunting challenges that those type of weapons dictate. Different terrain, different game, different weapons and tactics. That is what makes it all so gratifying and enjoyable for me. AND SOME OF MY MOST MEMORABLE HUNTS HAVE BEEN WHERE I PASSED ON GREAT OPPORTUNITIES AND DIDN"T PULL THE TRIGGER. I feel sometimes that too many people feel they didn't have a "successful" hunt, if they didn't harvest an animal. Half the fun for me is knowing that animal I passed on, will maybe make it to next year, and WHO knows what he will look like , with a good year from mother nature and another year of maturing?? I think what I like about this forum is that most of the people posting seem to be good, ethical hunters and handloaders, who are striving for better ballistics and good hunts. GOOD HUNTING TO YOU ALL !!
GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt we setup on the highline and pipeline clearings in the early part of the season. It's not uncommon to make up to 400 yard shots(longest being 454 with a rangefinder) but most are in the 200 yard range.
After a couple of weeks the deer get really nervous about coming out in the openings during daylight hours so we setup on the thicket edges where 50-75 yards are more the norm.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
The majority of my shots have been around 50yds, one deer was shot at 7yds. The longest shot I ever took was 250yds across a corn field with a 25-06 shooting off a bipod.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
35 yards on deer, and 50+ yards on elk. Closest elk, about 30 yards(was motigaiting), closest deer, 15 feet--I had to back up so I could see more than hair at 2X setting on scope! Longest deer, 407 yards from prone with 7 mag, longest elk about 100 yards. Now hunt both almost exclusivly with muzzleloaders--more fun and a good challenge. Last year, did not get my elk (a decent bull) cause I couldn't close the gap down to 100 yards. In several hours of sneaking I spotted him (watching me, of course) several times at no more than 165 yards (lazered). Damn, that was a fun hunt, though it was brushy and noisy. My .54 Great Plains rifle does not keep up enough steam past 100 yards for reliable kills. ---Chuck---

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most were taken at 100yds and less. I can shoot out to 350yds+ consistently and but only from a solid rest. In my 40 years of shooting game all over the US and Canada I don't think I've taken more than one shot at game that was over 300yds. I find the vast majority of claimed 400yd shots are actually closer to 250. I think some of this is caused by the "magnum death ray" philosophy and the need to prove the worthness of these powder burners. A magnum serves a purpose and that is to shoot large, heavy bullets at adequate velocity. Far more game animals are overshot than under shot. After observing many "magnum anything" shooters at the range, I will bet any of you that 75% will not hit a deer sized target at 200yds under hunting conditions 2 out of 3 times. Don't beleive it...go to the range and watch. There's more twitching and jerking than you'll ever see at a rap concert (I think!).

[This message has been edited by Pathfinder (edited 05-17-2002).]

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer I'd say +-50yds, +-30yds for turkeys, and anywhere from 100-800yds for woodchucks.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On eastern Whitetail I most often use a handgun and most shots will be under 25 yards because I hunt dense cover. On western Mule Deer I use a rifle and most shots are around two hundred yards. However the last Mulie I took was at 63 yards according to my rangefinder.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
For me and my dad the average would be around 30-50 yards. Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many at great ranges and many off the muzzle, depends on where you hunt.

Around here and in the Southern part of Idaho you may have to shoot at 100 yds (thats a close shot) and many at 200 to 300 yds. I have shot more than a few at 400 and beyond., Same in RSA.

some of the longest shots I have made have been from a stand in South Texas down a Sendero and those shots are under near bench rest conditions and ranges extreme...

But I don't do that these days, I have reverted to my youth and I hunt mule deer with my Mod. 94's in 25-35 and poke around the hills south of my house until I get one.
I have missed taking some long shots at some awesome bucks because of being undergunned, but I don't care as I have shot my share of big bucks. I would rather some other hunter that has not been as fortunate as I get those big boys, or some kid who will appreciate it more than I...A spike will do for me.

I hunt for the sake of hunting and I love every minute of it. I always expect to be successful and don't like not getting my game...I have to admit I get very disgusted if I don't shoot something, sorry but that's the way it is..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my part of the woods, you usually cannot see further than 50 yards. Occasionally I'll hunt in an area where I might get a 200-300 yard shot but that is not the norm.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dawg,
My longest on large game (deer) was 230 paces. My average would be around 50 yards.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my average for deer is probably around 100 yards or so (California blacktail and muledeer, Colorado muledeer, Kansas whitetail and Texas whitetail and mule deer) and around 75 yards for elk (a handful of 'em from Central Colorado). Longest shot was around 170 yards on a big bull nilgai (my first impression of the 35 Whelen and 250 gr Partitions!). Heading to South Africa in 3 weeks for a half dozen or so plains game animals with a 9.3x62, we'll see...

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the same piece of land I have taken deer from muzzle burn, to 411 laser measured yards. Drop offs, gullies, and long fields, typical of southwest wisconsin, shots are always screwy.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Out here in Idaho, shots are supposed to be "longish". All my shots on deer and elk have been under 50 yards, with two exceptions. One mulie at 80, and one cow at 350, on a late cow hunt. I have good memories from all, except the long shot. I much prefer to sneak to muzzle burn range, and watch their eyes bug when the shot goes off. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to what many would like you to believe, Dog, easily 90% of everything that's ever been killed with a shoulder fired weapon has been done within 100 yds or less. So don't feel bad. In hunting situations with all the excitement and commotion, most hunters haven't got a clue what the actual range to an animal is. And walking 300 paces down one hill and 300 paces up the side of the opposite hill where we dropped a deer or elk does NOT make a 600 yard shot. Anytime someone starts telling me about a 300+ yard shot at anything, I get very sleepy. Fishermen lie about the size of their fish. Hunters lie about the distance of their shots. Or at least memory's tends to exaggerate these "minor" details.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pecos45:
[B]Contrary to what many would like you to believe, Dog, easily 90% of everything that's ever been killed with a shoulder fired weapon has been done within 100 yds or less. So don't feel bad.

I certainly don't feel bad. On the contrary, I feel quite lucky that I'm able to get that close to the animals I hunt. Gives me a great sense of satisfaction to sneak to within a few yards of a big 'ol buck and nail him, sometimes in his bed... Just seems that there's a lot of talk of long range and such, and I was wondering how far most people were actually shooting at game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100%, DT. And anyone who can stalk their game to the range YOU do has actually got something to talk about.
Using camo gear head to toe, I once snuck up to within about 15 yds of TWO very big buck eating. I was bow hunting and got so excited that I wasn't even thinking of taking a shot...which is good cause I couldn't hit a school bus at 10 paces with a bow. I finally screwed up and stepped on the proverbial dead branch.

Anyway, you're right about the forums. The favorite topics are always how to get MORE velocity, MORE ft/lbs of energy, FLATTER trajectories, BIGGER bullets...yadda, yadda.
(Yawn)

When is someone going to ever stand up and say, "Enough is enough?" I can name 100 cartridges fast enough, flat enough, powerful enough to kill anything walking on the earth already. Are we in some sort of "arms race" that I don't know about?

And more importantly, what on earth difference does it make if my bullet beats your bullet to the target .00021 of a second? Duh?

I guess I'm just getting old guys. I know we gotta have our toys. Yes, I've got mine as well and sometimes I admit I dream about more. And yes my heart used to flutter when a new cartridge was introduced. No, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But DT has a point....that sometimes we MISS the whole meaning of hunting. Hunting is or SHOULD BE a contest of skills. Of which, shooting is perhaps one of the lesser important.

OK, everyone flame away.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 05-19-2002).]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Amen to that Pecos. Less Power. More skill.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
Glad you made that question Dogtagger! Often been wondering about some people who seem to be sort of proud of taking game at 500 yds or so. How is the ratio of sucsessful/not sucsesssfull shots at game at distances over 300 yds?

In Scandinavia I guess that average distance at moose is less than 100 yds. Reindeer a litle bit longer. I have taken reindeer at about 270 yds, due to a a mistake; I failed in calculating the distance to the animal. Luckily the trajectory of the bullet made a deadly shot out of it.

I REALY AGREE WITH BEAR CLAW AND A FEW OTHER HUNTERS WHO HAVE RESPONDED ON THIS TOPIC!: Who on earth can make a 100% guarantied clean kill at 450 yds in the field? I think there are some factors that are quite difficult to calculate before letting that bullet go. - f.ex. distance....!
Angle of the animal to the bullets trajectory, movement of the animal, brances, wind, temperatures influence on the trajectory-varies a great deal some places in the automn, shooting skills, are some other to think about.

<Youper>
posted
Most shots where I hunt are under 50yds. A deer around here doesn't need to go anywhere that he can be seen for 200 yards, because of woods and hills. I can count on one hand the number of deer I have seen more than 100 yards away. On the powerline cuts you can see in some places for 1/2 mile or so, but the deer don't need to be seen to cross those in the bottom of a saddle or some place like that.

<waldog>
posted
amen pecos!

<Orion>
posted
AME#N pecos

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pecos45:
[B]I agree with you 100%, DT. And anyone who can stalk their game to the range YOU do has actually got something to talk about.

I don't think that those distances are all that unusual here in Maine. The woods here are (mostly) so thick you would be hard pressed to find a place to get shots consistently over 100 yards. If you are hunting deer in Maine (or anything else) you HAVE to get close.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pecos45: I guess I'm just getting old guys. I know we gotta have our toys. Yes, I've got mine as well and sometimes I admit I dream about more. And yes my heart used to flutter when a new cartridge was introduced. No, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But DT has a point....that sometimes we MISS the whole meaning of hunting. Hunting is or SHOULD BE a contest of skills. Of which, shooting is perhaps one of the lesser important.

I certainly didn't intend to make a comment against long range shooting. Some areas, and certain game require long shots. I respect someone who can make a clean kill at long range. I've done very little long range practicing, just enough to know that I could make a 200 yard shot (with a good rest), but at 300 yards I would be less confident...

Good hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
The longest shot around here in N WI is almost always less than 100 yards. I think the deer I shot this year was at 40 yards, something like that.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted deer for near 50 plus years, I am surprised at the lack of long shots taken by folks on this board, and their idea that a 300 yd. shot is near impossible.

In the rim rock country of Texas, the Sendero country of Texas, the cross canyon shooting in many parts of Idaho and the Pacific N.W. it is not unusual to have long range opertunities at 300 yds. and over...

Maybe some are not confident to take these shots and if so I sure respect that, or maybe their lifestyle is such that their eyesight prevents these shots, but I know the opertunities are there almost on a daily basis, unless one hunts only the black holes.

I have shot more deer and plainsgame at over 200 yds. as I have at 50yds. when I am hunting with a proper long range, scope sighted rifle...Even with my 25-35 I have shot a number of deer at 100 to 200 yds. with iron sights which is about the limit of my guns capabilities and mine.

I am just amazed at the lack of longer range shots. I have read in a lot of gun magazines that most deer are killed at under 100 yds. and assumed then and do now that it is a product of poor marksmanship that causes that...

A 270/30-06 etc. for instance shoots 3" high at 100 yds will shoot 4" high at 200 yds, on the money at 275 yds and a couple of inches low at 300 yds...that means that a center chest hold will kill a deer to 350 perhaps 400 yds...Am I missing something here.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Am I missing something here.

[/B]

I personally watched this happen, to another "hunter". 50 yd shot, standing deer, bolt gun in 30-06. He brought the gun up and YELLED bang, racked the bolt, repeated, till empty. Refused to believe till he examined the unfired carts on the ground. Said the rifle was FUBARed after that. I myself was laughing to hard to get a round off. BTW, his rifle was fine. Another BTW, ammo was fine too, but just to aid perspective, they were from a box of ammo almost as old as I was at the time, and were rounds 4-7 from the box.

------------------
Good Shooting!

[This message has been edited by 8MM OR MORE (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
[B]Having hunted deer for near 50 plus years, I am surprised at the lack of long shots taken by folks on this board, and their idea that a 300 yd. shot is near impossible.

I am just amazed at the lack of longer range shots. I have read in a lot of gun magazines that most deer are killed at under 100 yds. and assumed then and do now that it is a product of poor marksmanship that causes that...

I respect your opinion regarding the long range shooting, Atkinson. Thats because I am quite sure you have got more experience in placing bullets in game at any distance (maybe not at the short ranges..? than most of us writing in this forum. But there is not very many people that need to shoot at ranges past 300 yds, even if there are places where the field conditions make it possible, and perhapes sometimes necessary to shoot game at distances longer than 300 yds. In most situations i guess it is not even possible to shoot the animal at distances at 200 yds, due to vegetaition - have to admit that I have not been hunting other places than in Scandinavia!.

Most of us do not need the meat to survive, and hunting is no ware. Still many of us don`t have to go home without getting game, even if we are taking it at shorter distances. Personally I think its is great better markmanship to shoot an animal at 100 yds than at 450.

Got a lot more to say, but it takes time when writing in american...

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I've shoot one moose at 20 meters and one roedeer at about 150 meters.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My average is probably around 175 yds. My closest was about 15 and farthest was a hair over 500.

Ray,

I think many of us here that hunt in areas where longer shots are common are a little "gun-shy" of posting in threads like this.

We're here, but after being called "unethical" enough times by some that hunt where the farthest shots possible are 150 yds we tend to hold our toungues because we don't feel like getting into a huge debate. Just check out the Match King thread....

There are some here that have never fired a rifle at anything over 150 yds so to them a 300 yd shot just must be unethical--because it sounds so impossible to them because they've never done it.

I would much rather shoot a standing deer at 400 yds with a good rest than try to hit a running deer at 100 offhand. But some of the more closed-minded people that regularly do the latter will call the former "unethical" because they have no idea that somebody that practices at those distances will actually be much more accurate doing the former than the latter...because they've never tried.

Ola,

To give you an idea what some of these areas look like, here's a shot of my stomping ground:

http://my.montana.net/draa/tnwalk/arena.jpg

To give you a bit of depth, those mountains are about 10 miles away. Lots of open space....

Hunting along the river bottom in thick brush, you can get close shots very easily. I've had shot opportunities closer than 10 yds.

Walk 2 minutes east or west and you're in the wide open spaces where you will be able to see deer well over a mile away. If you hunt terrain like this and limit your shots to 200 yds, yes, you'll eventually get a deer. But you'll have to pass on many opportunities. It is usually possible to stalk within 250 or so, but not always.

For example just last year my little brother had such a chance. We spotted the deer from about 1/2 mile away. We closed the distance to a little over 400 yds but could get no closer. There was nothing but wide-open space between us and he was watching us. One step closer and he would go over the top of the hill and onto the neighbor's land.

Unfortunately he was carrying his 35 Whelen and had no idea how far the bullet would drop at that range. So, we gave up and watched him saunter over the hill and onto the neighbor's land....

He got one only 1/2 hour later down by the river at about 30 yds...unfortunately this was a 2-point. The one that walked away was a BIG 4-point.

Anyway, that's the way it is here whether people like it or not.

[This message has been edited by Jon A (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ola,
I grew up in the open mountainous desert country of the SW and long shots there are the norm...I pretty much limit my shooting to 300 yds and I have shot a number of deer up close and I will take a running shot at about the same distance ( 300 yds max.) I will take a standing shot, perhaps a bit less...I'm pretty confident of a 400 yard standing shot.

I know a lot of boys around Idaho that shoot rock chucks day in and day out in the springtime and at ranges up to 600 yds. or more with a very high consistency of hits and the misses are all real close.

I agree with what you say, and each of us should know our limitations, thats the key to this post IMO....

I was a little surprised at the lack of long range shooters in the crowd and perhaps Jon hit it on the nose but I don't consider myself unethical and I have only wounded and lost two animals out of the many I have shot, in my life, and that was a couple of flukes and plain stupidity on my part.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had to mind my toes in a high seat and had some fun with my second ever muntjac which was so close I only saw hair in my 6x42 - that was fun!

Generaly if I see a Roe or a muntjac at 100yds I'll walk closer if I can.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote