Find
Notify
Tools

Cow Elk Hunt: How Much??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I have a question for you guys. We own a ranch in Utah and the DWR gives us cow elk tags to offset our "pasturing" of 10-15% of the total elk herd in this particular unit.

I am wondering how much I should ask for the following hunt:

I was thinking a 2-4 day hunt. One cow elk per hunter. Stay in a modern cabin that is really nice. The elk can be shot from the porch of the cabin most days (if that is the desire). I would guarantee harvest opportunity. The hunt could occur during the rut in Sept and the hunters could enjoy the bugling, fighting, and such. I would imagine that a good night's rest may be hard to get because the elk bugle all around the cabin most of the night. Food would be included.

These are free roaming elk, no high fences. The herd numbers between 120-150 head. The license costs $250.

So how much would it be worth??
Thanks

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I see New Mexico Cow Elk going for $500 -$750 with no food, I would think that would be fair. I have seen $1000, but maybe you would eliminate a lot of your potential clients that way.

As a landowner, I understand the desire to get top dollar for your commodity. But you might consider not providing the food and just make it easy on yourself. Give them a place to stay and charge $750 or so maybe??

I do not market any Elk hunts, so I may be a bit off here.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MC: I have in the past paid $1000 for a cow elk hunt. The last cow elk hunt was just north of Cody, Wyoming and for $1000 I got a five day hunt, room and board, and I had a guide...basically he trailered the horses and mules and took care of their gear. And of course he lead me to the elk. We were hunting on public land. I shot one the first day, was happy, and went home. There are similar hunts in Colorado that I have looked at but not gone on.

I would think that if hunters could reasonably expect to shoot a cow, and if you provided some assistance in getting the animal out of the field in addition to room and board, a $1000 would be reasonable. It sounds like a good deal to me.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last one I went on inclued room and board guide, horses, meat care, travel from nearest airport. For 1000 dollars for 4 days. Depending on the service offered I would say 500 to a 1000 plus tag.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to offer them let me know

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be very interested as well. Please keep us updated.

Posts: 71 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Somewhere around a grand is about right for
food/board/guided 3 day hunt.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Hello,
I have a question for you guys. We own a ranch in Utah and the DWR gives us cow elk tags to offset our "pasturing" of 10-15% of the total elk herd in this particular unit.

I am wondering how much I should ask for the following hunt:

I was thinking a 2-4 day hunt. One cow elk per hunter. Stay in a modern cabin that is really nice. The elk can be shot from the porch of the cabin most days (if that is the desire). I would guarantee harvest opportunity. The hunt could occur during the rut in Sept and the hunters could enjoy the bugling, fighting, and such. I would imagine that a good night's rest may be hard to get because the elk bugle all around the cabin most of the night. Food would be included.

These are free roaming elk, no high fences. The herd numbers between 120-150 head. The license costs $250.

So how much would it be worth??
Thanks

As in any business (if that is what you are thinking you want to do), start low and work up. The figures given are reasonable. However, it sounds like you might be going through this for the first time yourself, so there will be trial and error on the small details.

If you are providing less than a 5 day hunt, then I would charge by the day but still keep the fee reasonable for the hunter and at a fair profit for you. Very similar to the fees already posted for instance, but if someone really does their homework, there are plenty of cow hunts available for less than $800 tags included but no meals.

Personally after a days walk/ or spot and stalk and enjoying the bugling, the last thing I want to do is cook my meal when I get back, so for me, I'd like meals included.

I think an appropriate starting fee is $1000 for less than 5 day hunt with tag/meals/lodging/guide included. See how it goes your first year and modify it to suit you for future hunts. If the hunter tags out in 2 days, or even 3, that is good for you and him/her.

But I'm speaking from a consumer standpoint. The benefit to the hunter from your perspective (I'm assuming), is your property is not "overhunted." This, IMO, should be included in whatever fee you decide on as a perk to you and the hunter should be willing to pay extra for that.

Please keep us all posted if you do this. I may have 3 hunters for you immediately.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Our place definately is not overhunted. In fact the hunt may be too easy (shooting elk from the porch or even from your bed through an opened window). Of course we could hunt the elk up in the deep canyons, but I think that with cow elk you want the meat and getting it taken care of quickly.

I am the kind of guy that if the hunter did not have the opportunity to shoot the animal then he would have a free stay, see some beautiful country. I have never been on our place without seeing elk in the Fall.

We are pretty conservative folks and we aren't sure yet if we want people we don't know hunting our place. This post was just a thought and using you all as a sounding board.

I really appreciate your input. (if I knew how to post pics I would)

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Thanks for the responses. Our place definately is not overhunted. In fact the hunt may be too easy (shooting elk from the porch or even from your bed through an opened window).

I really appreciate your input. (if I knew how to post pics I would)

OH well, GEEZ, if it's that easy then lets go with $500 tops! Big Grin

You want to post pics? Go to hunt101 or photobucket and create a free account by registering. Create an album by "uploading image." Click the browse button and it usually takes you to your computer's picture file, if not, then type it in. Then upload the images.

Once that is done, click on the image on the website you chose with the right mouse. Go to properties and left click. When you see the URL, highlight it and copy it. Come back here to AR and when you are posting an image, click on the next to last icon where it will tell you in a drop box "Display Image."

When that comes up, paste your URL there and click ok or done. Walla.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted for mule deer on a private ranch near Park City for the last 4 years, they also offer cow elk hunts, 3-days including food for around a $900-$1000. There are so many elk around that the first morning is about all that's required; sounds like everyone's in the ballpark at $700-$1000...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

PS- you could do a bed n breakfast cow-elk hunt; breakfast in bed, roll over, shoot elk out window... Big Grin

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Given the fact that the Idaho F&G can't sell all the available cow elk licenses available, a cow hunt would basically have no value, but the lodging, meals and the guiding do. For those from far away, having someone point you in the right direction might be worth up to several hundred bucks, plus accomodations. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig- I like that idea: Breakfast and Elk in Bed. I actually had a friend tell me he wouldn't shoot one down there because it was too easy! I thought of it as slick, especially because it was a meat hunt for cow elk.

I thought the ballpark would be $500-1000. I guess it may be worth it to try, if we could get a group. It is frustrating for us because we have mature bulls all over us in the Fall, but obtaining a bull permit is next to impossible.

posted Hide Post
I'm definitely interested. Please contact me with details as soon as they are finalized

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a certain supply of Elk, Cows or not is a valuable thing. There will be hunters that will pay up to $1,000 for that type of hunt. The accomodations sound about right for a fee in that neighborhood. As indicated there will be some trial and error.

Attracting clients from a board like this is an excellent way to go to get fewer hunters that don't have an idea of what they are doing. An archery special is probably a good thing as well and doesn't have the risks associated with careless gun handlers.

Letting strangers hunt your place will produce surprises both positive and negative. I explained to a non-hunting freind that hunters were some of the nicest most polite people you would ever meet, but that the jerks were really jerks...so 95% of your clients will be great and the odd one will make you wonder why you did this. Higher prices wouldn't likely have any effect in the ratio. You can give discounts for return customers, have a ranchhand for a week program, lots of ways to make it enjoyable and different.

If you have a stream to fish in during an early season hunt you might include that as a part of the package as well.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested. Let me know the details once you've figured it out.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested as well. Please let me know if you decide to ptoceed.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I will pay $1000 for the hunt, room, board, and guide. If I collect early, are there other activities?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC
I am living in Russia right now, but will be returning to Utah/Idaho the middle of October. I would love to hunt with you if anything is available then, and could provide at least two other hunters. Let me know what develops.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the input and intrest shown on this topic. I have been busy branding and working our cattle so I havn't been on line lately. The cow elk are holed up in the trees, barking their warnings, and tending their new baby calves.

I am looking into the possibility of selling a few of these tags. I have been warned of the liability factors and need to research that a little further. (I guess life isn't like it was 10-15 years ago when people took responsiblity for their own actions and we didn't worry about lawsuits.) If everything shakes out, I will contact those of you who have shown intrest.

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be a good setting for a parent to introduce their child to big game hunting and the guide could really stress safety "by the book". Free observer (parent) on hunts might be popular. Cool If you want to offer something different maybe talk to someone like Kathi to see if she could put a womens only hunt together, you know all of us single guys are always glad to see more women involved in hunting!

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC; if you decide to do the cow elk hunt, I am definately interested

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote