THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Pachmayr Decelerator Pad on Marlin Guide Gun?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pachmayr Decelerator Pad on Marlin Guide Gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any experience installing a Pachmyr Decelerator pad on their Marlin 1895 guide gun? Pachmyr says it is a simple prefit installation for the Marlin. However a friend of mine said he read an article that states the pad does not fit very well. It said the pad was noticebaly wider than the butstock all the way around . Anybody have any real experience with this?

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Mr. Shark, I have an 1895 LTD, long barreled guide gun, and had my local smith install a decelerator a couple years ago. He does very nice work, so the result was A+, but at about $125.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I had a Decelerator installed on my GG; my smith had to grind a bit off to make it look like it belonged. A good pad for the GG!

[This message has been edited by Daryl Elder (edited 02-28-2002).]

<Rockhammer>
posted
I had a 1" Pachmyr Decelerator installed on my Marlin 1895 45-70. I instructed the gunsmith to cut an inch off the stock prior to installing the pad so it would not be too long. It turned out better than I had hoped for and am very impressed with the reduction in felt recoil.
I guess I failed to mention mine is an older full size rifle(almost 30 yrs old). The factory stock is, I am told, longer than the Guide Gun model and it fit me perfectly with heavy hunting clothes on and for that reason I had the overall length maintained by shorting the stock prior to installing a 1" recoil pad.

[This message has been edited by Rockhammer (edited 03-02-2002).]

<10point>
posted
I load some "heat" in my .450 but Im amazed at what a sweetheart it is to shoot. One thing tho, unless you have short armlength, is the rifle is really short to shoulder. I like the Cabelas add-on/velcro de-accelerator pads. They are great for recoil , but even better, they add an inch or two to the shoulder hold...........good shooting..............10

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Ruger #1 in 45-70 a few times with hot loads, and insisted that a decelerator be installed. With max loads it is still a little rough off the bench, but it is a definite improvement.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I had a 1" Decelerator pad installed on my 1895GG without shortening as the factory stock is too short..shorter than the factory stock on the 1895SS for whatever reason. Now it fits.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<IM4RMEF>
posted
I recently installed a pre-fit Decellerator on my Stainless Guide Gun. It is a VERY noticable improvement in the recoil dept. Especially when shooting the hot Buffalo Bore ammo.
The "pre-fit" fit was marginal. I installed the spacer kit (1/4 inch black and 1/16 white)to increase the length of pull and to bridge the gap in pad fit without grinding on the pad. I traced the stock butt on a 1 inch board scrap, attached the pad and spacers and then used a handheld belt sander inverted between my knees to take it down very close to the desired deminsions. I then installed it on the rifle and sanded the final fit with a sanding block. (I placed a sheet of paper over the stock to protect it while sanding the spacers and pad.) The resulting fit was very good. It saved me $35 vs having the Gander Mtn gunsmith fit it.

<Alabama 280>
posted
I just had one installed on a 300 rum bdl. I am almost sure the smith said they have to be ground to fit.If I am wrong sure someone will correct me.