THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What's In YOUR Wallet ( I mean Rifle)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's In YOUR Wallet ( I mean Rifle)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sako,

Welcome home! Good luck up in the Union Creek area.

I will be fishing for them up around Dog Prairie to the West side of Crater Lake, and south of Diamond Lake.

You must be serving our country if you are in GA. Ft Stewart?

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire
grants pass

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
My very first rifle was a Model 7 in 6mm and for about 10 years it was my only rifle though it carried various scopes. Together we piled up a bunch of vension. Later, I began letting my wife carry it, and I moved from a .444 Marlin, to a .308, to a .300 Win Mag - I even bought a .375 H&H recently but that is not primarily for deer hunting. The Model 7 got stashed away as "too small" for the occasional wild hog and hoped for bruiser buck - my wife had moved on to the .308 .

This year, after obtaining a take-off Mountain Rifle barrel in .260 Rem (which is what I really wanted in the first place but it was yet to be designed), the old Model 7 with a new 2x7 Nikon Monarch scope will once again head out opening morning - with all the dings and scratches in the stock that I remember putting there. I haven't found that "just right" load yet, but I hope we can add a little venison to the freezer .

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sako! Thanks for your service to the Country my friend.

When you get home and want a beer from a fellow shooter and guy proud of our troops, email me and I will forward you my phone number.

God Bless you boys over there.

Hope a Big Bull is sitting up in Union Creek with your name on it!

Cheers!
seafire
john christenson
grants pass

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
It has been over 3 years since I have hunted elkit is a travesty. I'm from Oregon and I'm stationed in Arizona. I drew a Couse deer tag down here for Fort Huachuca. I'm hoping to get to Oregon next year for some Elk hunting I will probably put in for east northside if unsucessfull will go on the High cascade hunt we usually hunt around Timothy lake hunt right up to the boundary of the Warm Springs Indian reservation. Beautiful country up there. Shot my first Bull in this area, shot him with my 348-06 Ackley Imp. don't ask it is something my dad had made by Kurt Mueller if spelled right in Forest Grove. I ended up with it. But down here for these couse deer I will be using my 25-284 loaded with 90gr sierra boattails .

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire
Take ya up on that beer when we get the chance. Our crew will have 8 hunters this year, heck maybe more-the kids do grow up fast! Gotta have the kids along, 18 yr olds pack meat out much better than I do. Also, good for sending into "holes" while we sit on known escape routes. Heck, when I was 18 you couldn't keep me outta the "holes". LOL, did I just write that? I'll let it stand...
"Rogue" says the bulls were bugling last weekend... Nothing like that to get your blood going. Hafta get my cow call out and see if I can still make like a hotty wapiti.
Looks like the weather might get cool and wet this coming weekend in So. Oregon. I am really liking that prediction. Medford is showing 80 degrees at the moment.
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>>What do you carry out first day of sesaon every year?<<<

this year it will be a cz m550 american in 7x57, topped with a sightron s1 3-9x40. ammo used will be winchester power points (145-grain) on a standard factory load.

this combo worked very well last year, taking two antelope.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I hunted last weekend with the 270 wby. But I tend to hunt with a lot of different rifles during the season. I haven't written a matrix like seafire , its more of an art form for me.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
Mine will be a Win Mod 70 in 270 WSM with a Barnes 140g TSX over MagPro powder.

I carry both a Buck Deer and a Cow Elk tag. So the 270 has taken over as my favorite round from my 25-06 the last couple of years. I hunt BIG OPEN country here in the West. So I like a flat shooting gun.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bulls where still bugling up there last weekend. A buddy of mine swung by the office with an absolute monster of a buck he got up there last weekend.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Roger on serving, I'm at Hunter AAF. Can't wait to get home as it's been 3 years due to "desert camping trips".
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my FN I have a 150 Nosler Partition backed by a mild charge of 47 grs varget out of my 30/06 FN. Soon to be 25/06 as soon as my barrel gets here. I've had the rifle for over twenty years and I'm either getting wimpyer or smarter and going to a lighter recoiling round. Now, in my wallet I have a Trojan condom, a real one, made in the city of Troy on Asia Minor before the Greeks took the city with that horse and burned down the factory. The newer ones just arn't made as good IMHO. Unfortunatly my wallet never has enough cash to ever get to actually USE it. Wonder what it would bring on EBAY?? FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're looking at rain this weekend. The leaves are starting to turn. I think the frost and snow during bow season got things going early. The brusier buck my friend shot opening day had a rutted up neck aready. My elk season isn't until the last of Nov over on the coast. That Cascade Elk hunt is always fun, you guys are going to have a blast. Oh to stay on topic I'll have a 300 win in my wallet for my elk hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Is that a 300 Win Mag in your pocket or are you just happy to see us???

cheers
seafire