Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been chasing and looking for bear,
and snapped a some to share.
enjoy and safe travels

ran into this in the dark timber
about 24 hrs late and the wrong species

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
swweeeet!!!!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures. Those scat piles must be atleast a bit unnerving to run across out on a hike.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were up at the Switch Back Ranch a couple of weeks ago. Man it is dry, and looks that way in all that country. Might be a long nasty summer.

Even yellowstone and heart mountain look dry and devoid of snow.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those. Makes me feel like I am actually there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool as always JR!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rave
Is that a deep gorge in the first photo, running through the bottom of the valley. How far down does it go.
Limited resources and time, I have never been to see anything that beautiful!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clarksfork Canyon.
As far as deep,I guess 800' or
more in places. Solid granite.
Its about 30 miles NW of cody
if you look on google earth.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you look at the ranch with the hay meadows, there is a single phase power line that crosses that canyon, it is over a 1400' span. Mountain goat country.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
That is seriously wild country!

Makes my Eastern slope of the Bighorns look pretty tame.

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here are a few more
made a good day horse back on Sat.
saw 3 moose,9 grizzlies,lots of elk
enjoy and safe travels

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Some awesome photos there. great looking country as well.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is in the background in the last pic. Looks like something manmade at some point and time.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country on my list to visit any pics of the elk "Wapiti"

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Very good pics and beautiful country!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike
the structure in the photo is a cache'
of an outfitters camp.

wazza56
I didn't take any of the elk,they have all
dropped their horns and there were no calves yet.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing those.

I can sit here at the computer, close my eyes and be there.

How I miss Mountains, and open land.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Been chasing and looking for bear,
and snapped a some to share.
enjoy and safe travels

ran into this in the dark timber
about 24 hrs late and the wrong species

Stunning photoes ravenr,what a great wilderness setting.Imo,well worth bringing back to the top.
I find it difficult to understand,on a hunting form, why a fine thread like this is viewed so much less than the ones full of controversy.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic country out there ravenr.......you're a lucky man!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kind words fellas'
glad you enjoy them, Thanks

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ravenr,

Awesome shots. That "Raven" pic is spectacular. you can see every pin feather, so is the strutting blue grouse. Super shots. You should enter those into the annual WY wildlife photo contest.

I've not hunted in that part of WY and judging by the terrain, this fat man won't be in country any time too soon.

9 grizzlies and no black bears seen? little wonder. We need a once in a lifetime draw and management program for those. SOON!
Thanks again.

Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 399 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Nice work!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Gods country!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great country and nice pics.

You must literally reek of satisfaction having such experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must literally reek of satisfaction having such experiences.

Its a Wild chunk of country and
not taken for granted, I promise you.
Couldn't imagine growing up anywhere else...
2" of fresh snow on the ground this morning!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
with my current schedule and limited time on AR it is always pleasant to come back and see this kind of thread right off the bat. Thanks!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Drove from Rawlins to Baggs today, though Aspen Ally. Beautiful, very dry and way too much standing dead timber. If we get a fire this year it will be very bad.

Your country is looking good...those Griz kinda spook me a little though.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frowner Pictures like this sure make life in Louisiana hard on a boy from IDA-TANA Roll Eyes

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote