Find
Notify
Tools

technology and "hunting"
 Login/Join

<tasunkawitko>
posted
how long before we can>>>>

just sit here on our computers and watch on the monitor via satellite as a deer browses in a meadow, then hit the control+d key ("d" for "deer," of course) and have a laser streak down from the sky (courtesy of that same sattelite) to kill it? then, with the coordinates provided by our friend, the sattelite, we can send robotic ATVs out to collect them.

talk about killing power! wow! and technology! and awesome equipment! don't even have to worry about doping the wind or range estimation!! [Cool]

would it be hunting? would anyone here go for it?

i'm still thinking of a great new, technological piece of equipment to field dress, butcher and process the thing. hell, maybe we can find some awesome new equipment to cook it for us....might as well have some new, hi-tech piece of equipment to eat it for us, and wipe our arses..... [Confused]

[Frown]

well, on second thought, maybe it's not such a great idea after all..... [Roll Eyes]

i think i'll stick to my .308 and 7x57 and let the technological revolution pass me by. [Smile]

[ 09-11-2003, 03:58: Message edited by: tasunkawitko ]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
What is your point? [Confused]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
oh! [Eek!]

i'm sorry! [Frown]

we need a legitimate point to post here? [Confused]

or just one that is acceptable to the "in" crowd? [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I use you laser killing device, and rover to kill and collect my kill, but I wouldn�t call it hunting. I would call it getting meat. If would kind of be like going to the grocery store to collect food.

Where can I get one?
How much?
If I use it to kill Sadam or Bin Ladin, will the rover collect my reward?

<tasunkawitko>
posted
ddunn -

it WOULD be hunting! it really WOULD!

after all, you are killing a game, animal, right? distance? ha! what is distance to a real hunter? get closer? why? that's too old fashioned! it's for people who don't have real laser skills, and probably can't afford all this nice technology and equipment! the knowledge is there....why would using it be wrong? [Razz]

as for saddam or bin laden, we'll see, son.....we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.......

posted Hide Post
sharp sticks... bows and arrows...black powder...smokeless powder. Personally I rather hunt with a rifle than a sharp stick. Better odds.

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden, Co | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason it seams more like work than hunting.

At work I sit in front of a computer and analyze data and react to it. I feel nothing and sense very little.

When I hunt, I go to the wood, get cold, wet, and in all accounts miserable. (Now why do I hunt? [Razz] ) I may or may not see the animal I am looking for. I may or may not move to get closer to the animal. I feel more and sense more in any day in the woods than a week in the office.

Sorry but it would not be hunting in my book.

<tasunkawitko>
posted
ddunn -

to quote another member, i am so much on your side of the fence on this issue that it is ALMOST gay! i have just heard so much about all this whiz-bang technology and awesome equipment, that i figured i had better get in on the bandwagon so as not to be left behind!

but, as i said in the first post, i have reflected on this and i think i would be happier with my .308 or 7x57. pitting my stalking skills against the game i hunt, showing them the respect they deserve; getting as close as i can and then shooting from there, if it is a reasonable distance within my own skill levels. i am lucky to live in an area with so much game and opportunity. if i don't get "the perfect shot" today, i can easily wait till tomorrow, or the next day. being outdoors and walking around never killed anybody......

and you are also right about BEING there....the smell of grass, rotting leaves and the sound of the wind and the birds is much better than the smells and sounds of an office, or the tailgate of a pickup truck!

[ 09-12-2003, 06:53: Message edited by: tasunkawitko ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko... I am afraid this technology existed long ago but is no longer avaliable.
It was at the turn of the century, the laser was a smokeless powder rifle, and the rover was an african game skinner.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You haven't heard of Air Cam?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose you have one of them high tech, new fangled optical thingies called a scope on that .308 or 7x57. I remember when scopes were the curse of "real hunters" and if you used one it was like cheating. I don't sweat technology anymore. I have some very nice scopes, synthetic stocks, laser range finder, super clear binoculars, and so on. Some of the stuff is great and some of it's useless. I enjoy trying new stuff, but it's utility is often eliminated in the field, but it's sure nice to have options. Oh and I don't mind heading out in the comfort of my 4 wheel drive as opposed to a horse.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a horse. I could go further and see more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tasunkawitko; I get your point, loud and clear. The problem I have with the long-range hunters has nothing to do with their "skill". What they are saying, is that since they can hit a piece of paper at 1000 yards, that also means they either a) don't care whether they miss, wound or kill the game, or b) can tell the future. By that I mean, during the time it takes the brain to tell the finger to press the trigger, until the bullet penetrates the animal, the KNOW where the kill zone is going to be in relation to their bullet.

Anyone who tells you this is lying. To you, me and probably to themselves.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From now on, I'm going to let my hair and beard grow to my balls and I will run around the woods naked with a spear looking for something to kill.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do that already Orion, but my hair is short and its around my college campus [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tasunkawitko,
I am sure you will be very proficient with the new technology you forecast. You seem to know your way around a keyboard now. However, George Jetson, let's leave the future till it is reality.

I suspect that with the tools of today a game animal at 400 yds is beyond the ability of all but a very few on this forum. It is unfortunate that it fosters envy, even contempt, in so many who do not have the talent nor the dedication to develop it.

If you desire to take down your prey with only your body as your only weapon, just as predators of lesser intellegence hunt and kill, go for it. You will not hear one word of protest from me. For those of us who choose to use the intellegence inborn in humans along with the dedication to master the technology invented by humans, you should have as much tolerance as we for your chosen methods and tactics.

[ 09-15-2003, 05:32: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
<tasunkawitko>
posted
maybe it isn't the distance that gets under everybody's skin.

maybe it's the "god complex" that SOME people develop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruffhewn - So it's okay, then, that I use my superior intelligence, developed as a pharmacy tech to put together a highly-efficient poison for deer that would still allow the flesh to be edible? Or my skill, developed in the Army that uses my superior intellect to use landmines?

Heck, I've hit targets at more than 4000 meters with the main gun of an M1 Abrams MBT. I've even hit stag, who had the misfortune of standing behind a target at ranges in excess of 2000 meters. So, should I be able to hunt deer, at night, with thermal sights and a ballistic computer?

I think everyone is just jealous of my superior intelligence and skill at poisoning deer. It's as valid as any other method, according to your line of reasoning.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120mm,

If the governing body legalizes poisoning where you hunt and the military will not charge you with misapropriation of government property, theft of a projectile, along with a number of other infractions, and the 120mm gun is a legal firearm to use on game where you hunt, and night hunting for deer as well as the use of night vision equipment while hunting big game is legal, then have at it. However, none of these are legal for deer hunting in any state in the U.S. and any firearm above .50BMG is now classed as a destructive device so your claim of superior intellect is laughable, thanks to your idiotic post. [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ 09-15-2003, 11:23: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote