THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .30-06/Accurate Loads/What the Folks at Barnes Say.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06/Accurate Loads/What the Folks at Barnes Say.
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought my first .30-06 and assumed that the 180 gr. was the way to go since so many use it. But after talking with the Tech Deptment at Barnes I ordered the 168 gr. Triple Shock. According to Barnes the .30-06 "is designed around" the 165-168 gr. bullet and will shoot this usually (no absolutes in life or reloading) the most accurate. Also they recommend the IMR4350 powder as their #1 choice for working up accurate loads. If you already have a accurate load stick with it, but for those that don't or are beginning to reload the .30-06 the 165-168 gr. bullets with IMR4350 powder would be a good place to start.

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden, Co | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshit. A barrel or caliber has no idea what grain of bullet it is shooting. The length of bullet is what matters.Some barrels handle low SD bullets better then high SD bullets. Barnes is a high SD bullet,so the 168gr bullet is usually the same SD as other manufactures 180grbullets. Even so,you have to have a barrel that is accurate with that SD. Your barrel may prefer the lower SD of 150grs. With that said most 30/06's will handle everything from 150 to 200 gr bullets,due to the common barrel twist,accurately enough for big game hunting.

Barnes may prefer the SD of their 168gr bullet,but the defense department designed the 06 around the 220gr bullet and later dropped down to 150gr bullets.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Serria 165 gr. Game King & Hodgen H-4350 powder for several years with very good results

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I would second thier opinion but for a different reason. With a lead core bullet I do lean toward the 180grs but with the X bullets ability to penitrate the starting weight can be reduced some. The 165ge X bullets give an in the middle blend of speed and penitration ( the X bullet works better with speed). I've used the 180gr Xbullets and they worked so well that I decided that the heavier bullet was not needed.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
My Savage 110 likes just about everything I've shot through it -though the 165gr bullets seem to be more cosistant as far as the chrono shows! Accuracy has been great -with out reguard to weight. I also shoot the 165 X-bullet and it like's these as well- just allittle to expensive to shoot though so Speers and Serria 's are the main diet for mine. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Losthwy,

Greetings from your neighbor in Lakewood. I have a .30Gibbs (suped up .30-06) and have played with the 165 and 180 XLC's. I found H414 to be far superior with both weights since the Barnes bullet is long and I could get more slow burning powder in the case. Mine shoots less than MOA which is pretty good with a hunting bullet and 24" sporter barrel.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Deke.

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden, Co | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMK:
Bullshit.

Great entry....that is, if you don't want anyone to take anything you say seriously. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMK:
Bullshit.

Barnes may prefer the SD of their 168gr bullet,but the defense department designed the 06 around the 220gr bullet and later dropped down to 150gr bullets.

Too right RMK! Barnes is telling you what THEY like, they dont have a clue what YOUR gun will like. Frankly I liked that company a lot better when its founder was at the helm, he was in it for the right reasons.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See you're confused nebraska,I give less then a fuck what you take seriously.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
All rifles & barrels are a different. What shoots well in one may be crap in another. I have had several people say, "if your rifle wont' shoot Hornadys, it won't shoot anything". Well my .338-06 won't shoot any of the Hornadys I have tried & it won't shoot any of the 225gr bullets I have tried either. Now it will shoot most of the 250gr & the 210grNP under 1MOA if I have a good day.
Take Barnes word for what it's worth, they are tryiing to sell you bullets. You might also give RL19 & IMR4831 a try w/ their triplewhatever. I find a bit better vel. & accuracy w/ slower powders [Big Grin]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote