New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 caribou?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hear that caribou hunts in AK have a varying limit on how many caribou can be taken. Some areas one, some two and some five. Any leads on an area where one may get some real meat for the freezer. I had a friend that went to one of the 5 bou limit areas every year with a bunch of buds. Had to take several flights out just to get all the meat out. As Ak residents it was not 5 but 5 a day. Unfortunately he was military and was transferred. So where and with what outfitter? Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Well-- If you are a non-resident hunter you can take 2 in most areas. If you are a resident you can take 5 PER SEASON, not per day. And in some areas the resident requirement is that out of the five that a certain number be bulls and cows. MD

[This message has been edited by MADDOG (edited 12-03-2001).]

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Correct,

For non res its 2 for most areas, 5 for res. There are still a few units where it is 5 per day for residents.

That said, 1 moose will have more meat then 2 caribou.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unit 26a Residents it is 5 per day no closed season. But you can only transport 5 out of the unit.
Unit 25a&b residents 10 per year.
Unit 24 most of the unit five per day Residents. Only 5 can leave unit.
The real honey hole is Unit 10. No closed season no limit Resident or non-Resident.
This is the Alution chain and the weather is unpredictable and it is expensive to get there.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont forget about kodiak (GMU 8), same as unit 10. no closed season and no limit.
Speaking of the GMU 10, I cant wait till Adak really opens up. I want to hunt that island for bou in a big way.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can arrange hunts on Adak if you are really interested. Don't have any details at the moment, but could get them pretty quick. Think it would be an interesting hunt, though not easy and probably better from a boat in early fall. The largest caribou antler I ever saw was a shed from Adak found by a friend about 15 years ago.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I'm interested in whatever info you can give me to hunt Adak.
biggunak@ptialaska.net

Thanks
Joel

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROb get me the details on it as best you can. I am not well versed on AK geography. Tell me about Adak. Thanks. "D"

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Rob,
Could you fill me in too?
www.kyakerab@hotmail.com
Thanks.

------------------
RAB

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob- Do you know any Outfitters for that area?? MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Adak is presently undergoing a transition to private Alaska Native corporation ownership, who have taken over from the military. They are converting the buildings to civilian use. Their office is one floor below mine and I talk to them in passing, but have only mentioned hunting out there in general terms.

A friend of mine (now deceased) ran a construction company in the Aluetians for years and hunted on the island for several days trying to find a caribou he had seen that he swore would have easily been the new world record (this guy was no cheechako having hunted all over Alaska and in Asia for several varieties of sheep). He is also the one who found a huge shed.

From what I understand there is now regular air service to Adak and they are trying to generate some interest in tourism, in addition to commercial fisheries. I have been told that hunting from a boat is the best way to see the most ground. I will see if I can find out the details this week and get back to you all.

Sorry I didn't check back on this message until now.

Rob

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW to wet everyone's appetite a little, this is this year's caribou taken with my Contender on the Kenai Penninsula. Please ignore the fact that I am hunting in my underwear, heh, heh.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-06-2001).]

<Bill>
posted
Rob,

You just cost me a lot of money, now I wnat to go caribou hunting next year!

Nice bull

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<R. A. Berry>
posted
That is one boss bou in the velvet! Thank you!

------------------
DaggaRon
RAB

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Is that a double shovel? Wow!

------------------
DaggaRon
RAB

<Pygmy>
posted
Rob....Nice bull.......

From this angle he appears to have a double shovel, but even if he doesn't the one on this side is a dandy...Nice tops too...

Oh yeah..........Nice SHORTS...... .....

I'll be coming up your way next September...I'm going to be hunting out of Dillingham, but plan to spend a couple of nights in Anchortown on the way home...

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Rob and Joel,

We'll have to get together and discuss this over coffee or a beer! I should have Saeed's new video any day now, and plan on doing a group showing of it. Dirk had offered to show it, I'll let you know what comes of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is a double shovel. His one weakness is width. He was only 37" across.

Paul, yeah a beer sounds good. I was in a meeting all day today and didn't get to talk with anyone about Adak yet.

I need to meet Dirk one of these days. Think I may have met him in passing at the range one day but have never been introduced.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Rob
Nice Caribou!

And you look good in your underwear!

I've got a photo of myself virtually naked with a mule deer!-Long story- I fell in a bit of a marsh while walking down to him, but pretty funny! Thank god it was a warm day!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I haven't heard back from Dirk yet, I'll let you know.

Drop me a line when you hear more about the deal with hunting on Adak. Seems like my wife might be up for me doing a fly out next fall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, now you have got us on the edge of our seats. cmon...cmnnn...give us the details. Thanks. Impatiently waiting in NC. "D"

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Rob - Give us the details on the Contender. Cal, scope, the range that you shot the Boo, its reaction, etc. MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
While you guys are waiting on details, I wonder if any of the Alaskans know anything about feral longhorn cattle in Alaska?

The place names King Cove and Unimak Island come to mind. Are there any wild cattle to shoot in Alaska?

Caribou and longhorn would really get my interest for a combo hunt. Could this be done, or is it a logistical nightmare?

------------------
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As I recall Rob took it with his 309 JDJ scoped with a 2.5-8 Leupold. If memory serves he mentioned the shot was a bit over 100 paces. The hunt was solo in a non motorized area, and he spent 3 days packing the caribou out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't been able to get the details yet. Thought I could do it from the people heere in Anchorage, but have now been referred down the line to a guy in Adak. Haven't been able to get ahold of him personally yet, but will try again tomorrow. FYI, I did find out that ADF&G estimates there are 1500 caribou on Adak though I don't think they have done any recent surveys - there is no limit and no closed season for residents or non-residents.

As for my caribou, I took it with two shots through the chest from my .309 JDJ with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips at 162 yards. It was facing east on the first shot, spun around 180 degrees, hit him a second time, and he just laid down and keeled over. It was the first and only caribou I saw on my hunt - the Kenai Mountain herd is only 450 animals or so. I was hunting by myself and had to pack 142#s of boned out meat, the head and rack, and my gear for over 6 miles to where I could be picked up. Took three full days (until 2 a.m. on the last day) and about did me in. Broke my pack frame in half on my last of several falls with the last load with the rack tied to the top and about a half mile to go. Had to drag it downhill the rest of the way. Drank some lemonade and two Cokes when I reached the lake, then threw them up a few minutes later. Now that it is over it was worth it, but while I was doing it I had my doubts.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-12-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Caribou in the Brooks Range is the best. As a resident we can get 5 per day, year round. I have hunted on the headwaters of the Noatak 4 days and 3 caribou, 2 with double shovels. Had my brother up from Wisconsin, he had a great time, shot 2 nice animals. You can get there from Bettles, just call the Bettles Lodge ask for Dan Klaes and he can set you up. Best time is in August/September. You can easily do a self guided hunt.

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the last great wilderness experiences a fellow can gude himself on. Brooks Range would be sweeet, and some sheep viewing could be done too.

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
It has taken me awhile but here is scoop on Adak caribou. There are between 1000 and 2000 animals on the island, mostly small groups of less than 25. Currently there are some hunters traveling out there to hunt, and one guide out of Kodiak that takes a boat out there to hunt from. The island is mostly USF&W managed land. There are several remote cabins that are available of first come, first serve basis for no fee. Several guys have boats for fishing charters and can drop people off. Some trips by water can be up to 70 miles from the harbor. The guy I talked to said November was probably the best time to hunt. But weather is a more of a factor the later you get with worst storms usually December to March. The place is notoriously windy and wet - 100 mph winds happen. But it doesn't get very cold by Alaska standards. It was above freezing today.
Adak has about 115 year around residents with more in summer when fishing charters are going. There you can rent a pretty fancy 2BR, 3BA townhome with a kitchen for $100 pewr person per day. You can hunt from roads but better access to caribou is by boat. A 4X4 truck to drive the limited roads is $80/day. These prices are way below what I would expect for how far out it is. Airfare runs about $1100 RT. It is a 4-5 hr trip with a fuel stop in Cold Bay. Freight charges are $1.45# out, $0.95# back.
Fishing for silvers is reported very good on a neighboring island in Aug and September. The halibut fishing is world class with fish to 400#. There is excellent waterfowl hunting which opens October 8.
I get the impression that they aren't too organized yet, but that is changing. And I don't think they a lack of accomodations or transportation would be a problem even on short notice.
Anyone who wants the contact numbers for more info, just e-mail me.
Overall it seems a lot of money for a caribou hunt. But it would be a heck of a unique trip in a far out place, especially if you throw in some fishing.