New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help With Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a good pair of hunting boots. I mainly still hunt and usually walk a few miles getting to where I am going and back. I will be in Region F in Wyoming for deer this year, and also hunt the steep hills of WV. Must be waterproof and would like 4-600 grams of thinsulate. Does anybody have any favorites, and why?

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I used to think my browning boots were great except for the fact that even they said water proof on them they definitely weren’t. When the sole of one of them came off while I was hunting I took them to Rusty’s Outdoor Sports they contacted Browning and I was given a credit for them.

I bought a pair of Wolverines at Sears that also said water proof but when I walked through the dew on the grass they got soaked. I still have them they have shrunk enough they don't fit anymore.

Best of luck looking for warm water proof boots.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on whether you have real wide feet or not, look at a pair of Perfect Hunters which are made by Meindl and sold by Cabela's.

Make absolutely sure that you try them on with the exact socks you are going to where while hunting. And because they are quite stiff at first, make sure you wear them a bit before your trip to Wyoming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although they have more insulation than you requested, my wife got me a pair of LaCrosse Backcountry PFT boots for Christmas a couple of years ago. They have 1200 grams of Thinsulate Ultra insulation, and are truly waterproof, as I've walked throughstreams with them without a problem. I think they may also come in a 800-gram model. They are very high as well, but I like them a lot, especially for wetter areas.

Here is the Cabelas Page for them.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Danners that are several years old and are still waterproof. They are all-leather and very comfortable. My boots have 400 grams and have worked out just fine for my area. They are alittle pricey but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meindl are tops. Great boot for the mountains. Heel was crushed in a wreck with other manglements and the Meindl is the only boot I have used since that has enough support on the bottom of the foot and ankle.

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My LL Bean Maine insulated boot have been with me to the top of the mountains in Colorado, all that Alaska has to offer, and the cold of Alberta in December and have always done the job, from 20 below to 95 degrees. They have the air bob sole and a lifetime repair gaurantee. What more could you ask. clap Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use meindl canadas as they are totally waterproof ,very comfortable and provide great support.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I too, use Meindl boots.

THERE IS NO OTHER MASS PRODUCED BOOT LIKE IT.

It's well worth the every penny and they are toughest and most comfortable boots out.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must chime in on the Meindl's. Quality socks, however, can make almost any boot better. Bad socks in the most kick ass boot will still cause trouble.

3 years ago I did a 5-day hunt in New Mexico and produced six total blisters. Decent Cabelas featherweight boots but cheap cotton socks. Last year in Wyoming I did even more days with maybe a little less total walking but along with Meindl's I invested in 2-pair each of three weights of quality socks and had no problems at all!!

Smartwool socks is all I have to say. Those who haven't had the problem will scoff at paying $15-20 for a pair of socks. Those that have and then discover the importance will not give it a second thought.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear L.L. Beans Gore-Tex Mountain Treads. Great boots, especially if you have a high volume foot. No thinsulate, I just wear heavier socks.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Cabellas Outfitter series boots. I hunted 43 days in the Big Horns last fall and they worked perfect. I just came back from there and wore them again. A little hot for this time of year but great traction and support.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Danner boots. They are durable and have a lot of cushion. I have a pair that are 8 years old and still waterproof.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkhunter

YOu have the Schnees store right downtown. Do you own a pair of their rubber bottoms, and if so, how do you like them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them. I start wearing them when the temp drops below 35 degrees, and use them the rest of the season. They work really well down to about -10 if I'm active. Nothing keeps me warm when I'm sitting in a stand. I usually use a chemical toe warmer if I'm sitting. I have a lot of problems keeping my feet warm. Normal Gor-Tex boots dont allow my feet to breathe very well. The Schnees packs pull the moisture away from my feet. If I know I'm going to be walking a lot and sweating I'll bring an extra set of liners and change them out at noon. I stay much warmer that way.

They also give me a lot of ankle support, and have a fair amount of cushion. They are pretty rugged and durable. I've had mine for 4 years. a friend of mine has had a pair for 12 years. He had the rubber bottom replaced at six years and is about due for another overhaul.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Here's my "battery" of elk hunting boots (Schnees on top right)... my favorite's for all-round use are the cheap LaCrosse's just left of the Schnees.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Danner rainforests have served me well.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of Danners. Both leak. One out of the box, one after the first week of use. As far as I am concerned they aren't worth the postage to get them sent back.

95% of my elk hunting is done in Cabela's outfitters. Now, I am 6'5", 240 lbs, and my idea of elk hunting is to run around in the Central Idaho mountains, off trail, 10-15 miles a day. A pretty fair test platform for durability of boots.....

The Cabela's boots are the only boot that has ever done more than two years, and they finally came apart at the seams after 6 years. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
IMO!

I wouldn't hold any other boot that Cabelas sells next to their Meindl line and call them equal. Any Meindl boot is hard to beat with comfort,toughness and reliability.

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used five pair of Meindl boots as well as many pair of other high end mountain boots; I currently own heavyduty boots by Meindl, Scarpa, Kastinger,Schnee's, Russell's and "Mickey Mouse" boots. I have also made my living fitting and selling boots for the largest mountain equipment dealer in Canada; my total mountain experience is over 47 yrs.

The finest Euro boots I have ever seen or used were Galibier Super Guides, unfortunately, I think they are no longer made. I also consider Hanwags and Kastingers superior to Meindls, however, the Meindls sold by AJ Brooks in Vancouver, B.C. are good boots as are the higher end Scarpas.

The finest boots I know of are Van Gorkums and I was just at his shop a week ago, to order two pair of 18cm "Trekkers" to serve for all my alpine hunting, along with my Schnee's pacs. These boots cost a lot of money and are worth every penny of it, I cannot recommend them too highly.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you keep your feet warm in those Van Gorkums?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get cold very easily, probably due to my Nordic heritage and being brought up in an old house without central heating or insulation...and it gets a bit nippy in the Kootenays. So, I have used mountaineering boots for snowshoing and skiing down to well below zero and use Schnee's in really cold weather, like -30F.

I have my boots sized to take thick WOOL socks and carry extras in my hunting pack and I change them religiously, keeping my feet dry and thus warm. If, waterproofed well, my mountain boots can and have worked in knee-deep snow on 4-5 days trips without my feet getting cold.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Kind of suprised no one else has mentioned red wing's I've had a pair for over 2 1/2 years,,just now starting to weep,,,I wear them pretty much on a daily basis,,Goretex lined with 1000g thinsulate over that,The tounge is stiched to the top,very tough liner as well,,and unsurpassed comfort,,wear'em 12 hours and your feet feel as good as when you put them on. The stock # is 1229 Good luck!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of White's Elkhunters. Does anyone kow much different are they from Schnee's?

I've had a pair of Russell High Country Hunters for 14 years. They are a great boot, as are Cabelas Outfitters.... both require quality wool socks.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some Lacrosse Gamefinder?? 800 gram boots that I picked up in Colorado during Elk season. Took about 2 hours to break-in and worked for 5-10 miles a day in all types of terrain and from 50 to -10F. One of my hunting partners was so impressed he went down and bought another pair.......Ok the good part is they were less than $90.

I wear good Merino wool socks - smartwool or similar and agree they are the way to go.

If I ever get a chance to do a sheep hunt I may buy some Meindl's.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Danner Pronghorns are the most comfortable boots, I have ever owned. They are little more $ than most boots, but worth it IMHO.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
90% of my hunting is done in Tennis Shoes and the rest in Sorrels for snow.I do not like a heal when I hunt.I have hunted in Red Wings with a Tennis Shoe type bottum without a heal.If I were to buy more,They would not have a heal and I did like the Red Wings for a long day on foot.

Good luck on your choice.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
I like Rocky boots. That being said, I have a pair of Wiggy's pack boots for lots of snow that have never left my feet cold.

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The White's boots are similar to the Schnee's. They are very warm, waterproof, durable, comfortable and made in the USA

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I have tried just about every boot made through out 40 + years of hunting. Alaska, Montana, swamps of Louisiana, etc. The best boot I have found is the Danner line of boots, especially the ones with the Gore-Tex lining. Danner boots are comfortable from the first time you lace them up. No break-in required they feel great from the get-go. I don't sell their products but I sure use-em and like them. The boots with the protected toes (rubber covered toe) are my favorite type of their boots. Prior to them placing the protective outer toe cover I used Shoe Goo on the outer toes to keep the toe from becoming saturated. Nothing worse than cold wet feet!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
You can't argue with real extensive experience like "aktoklat" gave but I have really bad ankles and the Danners didn't even come close for enough support to keep me from rolling ankles all of the time until I tried the Meindl Canada.

IMHO, if one was to buy a good pair of commercialy made boots, they should look at Meindls and High-End Danners and decide between those too only. But there are situations where specialty boots like a Schnee or a White's Elkhunter fits the bill.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Meindal boots are the best I've ever used for ankle support.

Alas, My feet ar too wide for them, so I needed to go the custom route.

If your feet are in the 10-11 size, shoot me a Pm., I havbe a very good pair of used Meindal s for sale.

I htink Cabelas would call them the "canadas"

They are high lenght, very stiff, and a dream if you dont' have "4 EEEE plus extra width" Big Grin

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The 4EEEE width is not surprising after seeing pictures with your mitts holding onto that griz, but I am surprised about the 10/11 size!! sofa

I wear a 10.5, but have NARROW feet. I'd probably swim in any boot you got your 4EEEE's into! Wink Big Grin

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For anyone who wants a VERY good boot at a reasonable price, try Viberg Boots of Victoria, B.C.; their website is http://www.workboot.com. Their "Hunter" model is a tough, supportive boot somewhat similar to the old Corcoran Paratroop boots from the USA. They make logger's boots which are the very best I have seen since the legendary Vancouver, B.C. firm of Pierre Paris and Son closed down. They also stock some Hanwags, about the finest Euro boots available today and superior to Meindls, although the models are nearly identical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay, I also think the Galibier boots were
some of the finest .I went thru 4 pairs in my mountaineering days. The are still made in France and not available in North America due to the Italians cornering the market on boot imports.
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a quick question about American and Canadian make boot sizes. What does 'medium' size mean?

I bought a pair of Lacrosse Bitteroot boots. These are size nine, medium. Without socks the lining inside is sufficiently uncomfortable to rub skin off.

Wear thick socks andthe boots are too tight to be comfortable when walking over difficult ground.

While I remember, the tread / sole of the boot felt like I was walking on stones / ball bearings. This was walking over hard packed snow in Norway last Christmas.

I guess these ? Pac-boot? style / type boots are meant for horse riding and walking short to medium distances in soft snow?

Well, that was my aching feets best gues after a 12 - 13 mile walk. Ouch! Could someone explain? Thanks.

Ps. The Shnee Pacboots look good from a boggy wet ground viewpoint.

For hill conditions in Scotland, I use Le Chemaux Mouflon Plus boots. I am considering buying myself the highest leg height pair of Meindel boots I can find as a back up / replacement pair of boots.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Asolo boots that I've worn alot. I think pretty highly of them. And a pair of lo-top Red Wings for general use that are the most comfortable boats I've ever worn.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Craig:
I have a pair of Danners that are several years old and are still waterproof. They are all-leather and very comfortable. My boots have 400 grams and have worked out just fine for my area. They are alittle pricey but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Ditto!! I have the 12"ers. beer

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whites packers and Schnees are the best route and the most expensive also...but they cannot be beat for the person who is out there every day..Most guides and packers in the Pacific Northwest wear them..

I really like Wrangler Horseshoes made by Roper and available at any Western store, for hunting until the snow gets deep...They are cheap, waterproof, and warm..I have to feed in the wet cold snowy slop all winter and most days I wear the Roper Horseshoes..I hunt deer and elk in them up until about mid Nov. when the snow comes...then go to the Whites, Schnees or Sorrels, another great snow boot.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Folks sorry to spoil the Party but I have a pair of Meindel boots which I will not wear any more.
I should tell you that I spent 13 years in the mountains and walked and climbed for more miles than I can count.
I slipped over more in Meidles in 6 months than I did in the other boots over the other 12.5 years. It was whoooosh on my bum.

For bush stalking I use what we call touch football boots, by Puma. They are light with good grip. To look at from the top they are like a pair of trainers, the rubber soles have lots of moulded in studs.
When its wet I wear a pair of Bullers they an all rubber lace up boot which are quiet when sneeeeeeeking about.
I don't think either of these would be suitable for winter hunting in America but for here in NZ both are good.
The touch boots would, I imagine, be good for African stalking.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote