THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubond vs Partition for Moose ? ? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You have seen a lot of moose killed with a .30-30? How many? Where they shot from the kitchen window as they rubbed against the corner of the house? Moose rub against houses up here quite a bit...and those and other troublesome moose are shot with .12 gauge slugs in the chest at close range. But a .30-30? Most .30-30s, my .30-30, shoots a 130 grain bullet at about 2000 fps (if that). I don't use this rifle on deer. Using a .30-30 to shoot moose is irresponsable. That is like hunting brown bear with a .243. And your comment about premium bullets also showns that you do not know what you are talking about.

Mr. Young has a vast amount of exprience hunting truely big game, including grown up moose, and you should listen to him.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: I agree with you 100% on your recommendation. I think you have more experience with moose and moose hunting than anyone who has posted on this thread so far. I personally would not hunt moose on purpose using a .30 caliber rifle. I carry a .300 Weatherby for spring caribou and this rifle is perfect for caribou and animals smaller than caribou. But for moose, I would not use anything less than a .338, in any of its forms. The .30-06 has a long and well documented history in Alaska, and else where, but I would have to say that while a lot of game has been killed with the .30-06, I think more game has been shot, wounded and lost with the .30-06 than with any other cartridge. All moose are big and they can take a lot of lead given the right circumstances. I think a .300 might be suitable for a guided hunt, where a responsable guide is there to insure the moose does not get away from the client.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I personally would not hunt moose on purpose using a .30 caliber rifle.

I have killed several myself with 7mm and .308" bullets and with proper bullet selection, both do a fine job.The most common calibers for moose in my area are in fact the 7mm and .308".If you can't cleanly kill moose with either you need to work on your shooting skills,you don't need a larger caliber.

As for the 30-30 being used for moose,they are still very commonly used by local trappers.Most of the moose killed are well under 100 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper: I know that moose can be and are frequently shot and killed with most of the .30 caliber rifles...plently of folks use .30-06, .300 WM, and .300 Wbys in Alaska and they do so with good success. The same people shoot their grizzly bears with the same rifles, and for the most part they do ok. But I think that shooting a moose with a .30-06 is not unlike shooting elk with a .270. They both work. There is a large number of people that think a 130 or 150 grain .270 bullet is perfect for elk. And who am I to question that? What I said was that I would not intentionally hunt moose with a .30 caliber rifle and I was simply agreeing with someone else who thought the same way. If you want to shoot moose with a .7mm or a .30-30, then you should do that. Some years ago I did shoot a nice 42" moose in the mountians just west and north of Calgery, and I made an excellent shot on that animal using a 210 gr. NP in a .338 Win Mag at about 120 yards. The bullet passed through both lungs and lodged in the off leg bone and the animal limped another 100 yards. That bullet should not have been stopped by the animal at that distance. There was no exit wound. To me, the bullet was too small and not going fast enough, even though it took just a few minute to actually kill the moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having killed a fair number of both elk and moose,I find that elk are actually much tougher to kill than moose despite weighing less.Moose may not fall right away after a hit but unlike elk they usually don't go far.Therefore I would feel comfortable using any suitable elk cartridge to hunt moose.To me any caliber of at least 7mm will easily kill both elk and moose.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Our moose in Maine and from what friends who hunt them in Alaska are just not that tough. "Any" 30 caliber per se, as in a 300 Savage might not be optimum, but certainly adequate given proper ranges, shooting conditions, shot placement, etc. The 06' is just about right with the 300s better yet. The only thing I would caution is bullet construction. Moose are large boned and a lightly constructed bullet at high velocity striking heavy bone can be a recipe for failure. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote