New
Find
Notify
Tools

6PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally got the long awaited 6PPC and was itching to try it.
A Sako laminated stainless varminter with a Nightforce NXS 3.5 - 15 x 56 and Harris bi pod. The ultimate long range sniper/varminter, no?
Took it to the range and sighted it in, very impressed with the accuracy (didn't measure any groups).
Well as the story goes I took it out to look for some pigs, the intention being a nice, long, rested prescision shot to the head of a young eating sow.
What I got was a running shot at about 10 meters.

What amazed me was the way this pig went down.
It was as if struck by lightning!
A 70gn Sierra Racehead HPBT was the culprit.
I had to throw away one shoulder as it was completly destroyed, maybe it was a combination of shopt placement, but there was something different about the way that meat was torn up that I don't notice fom say a .243 or .270.
The bullet entered the center of the neck, missing the spinal cord, and exited centered, low on the opposite shoulder leaving an exit wound just under an inch in diameter.
The soft flesh in the nech may have given the bullet time to slow down and later the bone in the shoulder for it to explode, but I will say it was once of the most horrific wound channels I have ever seen.
Very pleased with little 6mm...

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats a pretty amazing cartridge! Id like to hear what sort of groups your getting when you get around to that part of it. Enjoy!

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a bit of plainsgame, deer and antelope with my 6x45MM (6-223) and I have found the 75 gr. BarnesX works great but not as accurate as other bullets as it just shoots inch groups, but for hunting big game that is more than acceptable...

It shoots the 60 gr. Sierra and 55 gr. and 70 gr. Bal. tips in the .200 catagory for 5 shots or 10 shots for that matter. the 80 gr. Speer works good on game, but keep it at about 2800 FPS MV.

I suspect the same holds true for your 6mm as they are close enough to each other for Govt. work.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Express - the 6mm PPC is a great mid-range target/varmint cartridge. Tons of fun to shoot and generally as accurate as anything out there. I have a laser confirmed prairie rat kill with a 69gr Berger Moly MEF LD at 565 yards. It took two ranging shots and one for pay dirt. If you do your part calculating the wind and bullet drop, the 6PPC can deliver.

Brass can be a booger to find at times, however, every once in a while you can find loaded ammo on the shelf collecting dust at your local gun store. The factory loaded 70gr BT HP is amazingly accurate stuff and only costs a few cent more per round than raw brass. (???)

If you are going to reload, and you will, I would suggest an arbor press like the Wilson/Sinclair set up. You will find your standard ram press a little difficult to use on these peanut cases, plus the inline arbor press is the most accurate reloading method out there.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote