Notify
Tools

Outfitter for Gator?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted
Info?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, a quote from Legends of the Fall. Pretty cool. One of my favorite parts of the movie.
Try John Gettle, Gettle Trophy Hunts in Florida. I do not know him but is a friend of a friend that comes recommeded. Hope this helps.
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If looking in Florida try Jerry Flynn from Gator Chasers (http://www.gatorchasers.com). Not very well known. But got written up on The Hunt Report (www.huntreport.com). Very conveniently located just north of Orlando just 20 minutes from the airport. That's part of why is operation is good. Jerry's the nuisance gator hunter for the area. Since Orlando is expanding, he gets calls nearly everywhere, he can hunt all year round in public waters (the gators tend to disappear during public hunting season in the fall, and his area includes the Lake Jessup system. Okabachokee (sp?) lake in Florida has the highest numbers of gators. Lake Jessup has the second. But Lake O is much bigger. So on a "gator per sq. ft. surface" basis, Lake J has the highest. Also the Lake J system has produces the Florida record holders.

Another solid Florida name is Hampton & Hampton http://www.hhgatorhunts.com down south closer to Miami. They are the "blue chip" gator outfitters who were helpful in getting SCI to list the alligator as a trophy. They have private water so can also hunt all year. But they cost a bit more and I believe you might have to spend more nights and days hunting.

I bowhunted a just under 12 foot gator durinig the afternoon in just a few hours before a hurricane struck.

I've also heard some good things about TNT gators in north Florida(http://www.tntgators.com). But unlike Orlando and Miami areas, there ain't much els in north Florida to do besides hunting.

Another cheaper way is you can draw and pay for a non-resident Florida tag for the fall public hunt. Some outfitters will then charge a lower fee to provide equipment (boat, bangstick , etc.) and guide you. Problem is that big gators may be hard to come by.

The other major area is Texas (seems to have fewer out of state hunters although the world records have been from there). You might try Darren Carr contactable through Indianhead Ranch (http://www.indianheadranch.com/)

In general, your might find that the seasoned outfitters encourage alligator hunts with bows or cross bows or even harpoons rather than rifles. It's because like the Nile crocs, unless a rifle shot gator is hit in the brain or spine to stop him, you might loose him in the water.

Some things to ask the gator outfitter about:
a) if he hunts farmed gators released on private water, be sure that you are at least aware of it.
b) outfitter will put out bait sometimes to attract gators. But some outfitters actually put out hooks and lines, then hunt the gators when they are still on the line (this doesn't qualify for SCI records). These hunts should be much, much cheaper. Seems to happen more in Texas and Louisiana than Florida. But make sure what you are getting into before you go.
c) Some outfitters use grappling hooks and "fish" the gator in (that's some fishing trip!). But for SCI records, the gator has to be taken with bow, cross bow, or harpoon. I'm not sure about rifle.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
THANKS! As always, you guys have been ultra helpful!

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote